Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games > PC Gamer Game Club

#1   Report Post  
    Old 05-09-2011, 03:09 PM

Default Week 23: Max Payne

-
    -

[CENTER][SIZE="6"]PC GAMER GAME CLUB[/SIZE][/center]

What is the PC Gamer Club?

The PC Gamer Club (PCGC for short) is where the great minds of the internets come together to talk about the game of the week.

How does the club work?

Each week a winner of the previous week's poll is chosen to take center stage in our discussion. Members have one week prior to the start of the current week's club to get a hold of the game, be it digital download, physical retailers, garage sales, or even those old floppies lying around since 1992. Throughout the week, members will play the game and give their feedback on what worked, what didn't, and how it stands up to today's standards. The week will officially start on Mondays, and run until the following Sunday.

How can I join?

The requirements of joining the PCGC are easy.

1. you must have a registered account in good standings at pcgamer.com.

2. you must own, rent, or borrow a copy of the game. That's it.

Do I have to participate every week?

Absolutely not. Come and go as you please.

Are there any costs?

Joining the club is 100% free. The only fee you may or may not be subject to is the cost of the game.

How much will the games cost?

We will hold costs down to $10 or less per week, barring any exceptions.

Where can I buy the games?

Each week a post with a link to a current e-tailer will be provided along with the game title. You're also encouraged to search ebay, craigslist, and other listings to find the best prices.

My PC is outdated by today's standards, will I be able to participate?

Absolutely. Most of the games we will be focusing on are categorized as "classic" titles. The hardware requirements will be kept to a minimum to ensure everyone gets a chance to participate.

Can we mod the game to our taste?

Well, it's your game, we can't tell you how to play it. However, you should keep in mind that the focus of conversation will be on based on the developer's original vision of the game. Mods often take away game mechanics that, no matter how trifle or trivial they may seem, are part of the original design. It makes for better conversation if you can adequately explain why a certain game feature distracted you from enjoying the game then patching it with a mod.

Will there be spoilers?

Absolutely. People play at their own pace, and because of that we have to disallow a ban on spoilers. To ban spoilers would handcuff the conversation until everyone catches up. It's a weekly affair, so for the sake of pace, we must keep the conversation flowing. Unfortunately, that means spoiling some key plots in games.

Can I take screenshots and post them in the conversation?

Absolutely, but try to keep them to a maximum of 1280x1024, so a) it doesn't warp the board, and b) people on dial-up (yes they do exist) can participate. Photobucket auto-resizes images to a max of 1280x1024, so uploading there is a safe bet.

I have a game I think everyone will love, how can I nominate it?

Games should be nominated in the PCGC weekly nomination thread. This thread, and all concurrent weekly game threads should contain only information relevant to the game that's in discussion.

Can I nominate console games?

Sorry, no. For obvious reasons.

What is the best way to participate?

The best way to participate is by following these basic and simple guidelines:

[INDENT][LIST][*]Be thorough. That doesn't mean you have to write a book (although if you want to go ahead). Try to make arguments that are clear and easy to understand by everyone. If a game sucks, don't just say it sucks, tell us why you think it sucks. Was it the game or was it one mechanic that threw you off? What could they have done to improve the game?

[*]Be respectful. Opinions are just that: opinions. They are subjective to the player, and so to argue your opinion is better or worse than another persons is as pointless as arguing if a cup is half full or half empty.

[*]Be vocal. Ask other members about their experiences and compare them to yours. Then debate them on theirs.
    [/LIST][/INDENT]

And last, but not least, HAVE FUN!

[SIZE="5"][CENTER]THIS WEEKS GAME: Max Payne [/CENTER][/SIZE]

[CENTER][/CENTER]

GENRE: Third Person Shooter

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
    Minimum:

Processor: 450MHz AMD / Intel Processor
    Memory: 96 MB RAM (128 MB RAM or greater recommended)
    Graphics: 16MB Direct3D Compatible Graphics Card
    DirectX Version: DirectX 8.0
    Hard Drive: 830 MB Hard Drive Space for full install, 530 MB for minimum install
    Sound Card: DirectSound compatible sound card

SYNOPSIS: (from Steam)
    Max Payne is a man with nothing to lose in the violent, cold urban night. A fugitive undercover cop framed for murder and now hunted by cops and the mob. Max is a man with his back against the wall, fighting a battle he cannot hope to win.

PRICE:$9.99 (Steam)

STEAM LINK: [url]http://store.steampowered.com/app/12140/[/url]
    GOG LINK: N/A
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 PM

First thing you may want to check if you're running this game on Vista/Win7.
    [url]http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848215[/url]

It's for fixing a sound issue, which I happen to have.
    [URL="http://www.mediafire.com/?pu25d5d3dwpdo91"]File Link[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.filedropper.com/maxpaynesoundpatchv112_1"]Alternate Link[/URL]

Installation Steps ([URL="http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?p=38480#post38480"]Source[/URL])

Quote:
    Installing the sound patch on the Steam Game

It's really very simple, here are the steps:
    1 - you install the steam game.
    2 - you download the latest version of my patch.
    3 - now you have to unpack the patch to your game directory.
    4 - in your game directory, locate the file MaxBatch and click it.
    5 - press [C] to convert the game and wait for the script to finish.
    6 - press [L] to launch the game.

elaborating on the steps:
    1 - Should be no point, just go to the steam store and get it.
    2 - Available from link in the above post 18
    3 - This is where it get's a little more complicated. To unpack the patch you need an unpacker that supports RAR files, like Winrar. If you downloaded the patch and it does not open when you click it, that's a sign you need Winrar ([url]http://www.rarlabs.com/rar/wrar380.exe[/url]). Once you are able to open the patch you hit the 'Extract to' button and browse to your game directory. With the steam game this is probably: 'C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\max payne' or 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\max payne' depending on your version of vista(32 or 64bit). Hit the OK button to complete step 3. If you have problems locating the game directory, please report.
    4 - Open the windows explorer and go to your game directory, the location where you just extracted the patch. Once there click on MaxBatch(.bat). This step is only needed once, because the program will create a shortcut on your desktop the first time you exit it.
    5 - Once you are there, it's easy. You only have to [C]onvert once. It can take several minutes to convert all found files, mainly depending on the speed of the drives and the cpu.
    6 - After L the game should launch and a settings window should pop, and launch the game for you.

When you want to run the game again, you don't have to do the steps again, Just click the MaxBatch shortcut on your desktop and use [L]aunch again. You can also still launch the game from steam or from the steam/maxpayne shortcut, whatever you like.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 05-09-2011, 09:30 PM

Pretty simple process
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 05-09-2011, 09:33 PM

Oh, a game I actually have and have been meaning to play. Fascinating.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 05-09-2011, 10:20 PM

If you're having mouse issues you may try this out
    [URL="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1858303"]Source[/URL]
    Quote:
    MOUSE LAG FIX #1: If you suffer from mouse lagging before or after installing the soundpatch, some users have reported that turning off mouse acceleration in your mouse control panel should do the trick. The drawback on this step is that only a few people will have a mouse with its own control panel.

NOTE: Thompaine suggests that "If you don't have a special mouse with it's own control program, you can go into the "Mouse" control panel (Win7 classic CP) and uncheck the box labeled "Enhance pointer precision" under the "Pointer Options" tab", which helped him after installing the patch (Thank you!)
    MOUSE LAG FIX #2: Go to your Max Payne folder and run maxpayne.exe in compatibility mode for Windows 95. Don't try to launch the game from the exe itself as it won't work. Launch the game from Steam as usual
    Unchecking "Enhance pointer precision" worked for me and I'm able to play like I did years ago, nice and smooth.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 PM

I happened to die and look at that face... had to post this. Lol

#7   Report Post  
    Old 05-13-2011, 02:43 PM

Smart? No. Baddass? Yes. I had forgotten how much I've missed flying through the air blowing people away lol. How can you not feel awesome flying through a doorway, blowing the guy away in front of you with a shotgun, then turning while still in the air and blowing his buddy away thats to your side.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 05-13-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spank n Uranus View Post
    If you're having mouse issues you may try this out
    [URL="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1858303"]Source[/URL]

Unchecking "Enhance pointer precision" worked for me and I'm able to play like I did years ago, nice and smooth.
    Heh, it's weird to see something I wrote on a different forum cross-quoted. Glad the fix worked for you.

I started playing and while I was enjoying the noir-style monologue, I died a couple times in the subway/bank and stopped playing. I'm not very good at shooters.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 05-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Seriously, if you've never played Max Payne with the Kung Fu 3.0 mod, go and do it now. Right now.

I managed almost a full 'no guns' playthrough from start to finish, and it was one of the most epic experiences of my life.

I warn you, there are a couple of sections where you'll need to cheat to get back your kung-fu powers, as when the enemies strip your weapons off you they have a tendency to lobotomize the section of your brain that 'knows kung-fu.'

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb63pEPrOW8[/url]

God, I love this game. Always have, always will. It's the game that made 'bullet-time' an almost inevitable portion of any third person shooter, and it's so cool I keep it in an ice box on my shelf.

#10   Report Post  
    Old 05-14-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paine View Post
    Heh, it's weird to see something I wrote on a different forum cross-quoted. Glad the fix worked for you.

I started playing and while I was enjoying the noir-style monologue, I died a couple times in the subway/bank and stopped playing. I'm not very good at shooters.
    Well I'm very glad you managed to figure this out! Thank you! I'd have gone insane if I'd had to deal with that jerky mouse anymore.

And the Kung Fu Max Payne is truly a trip lol.

Tags

game club, max payne, pcggc