Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 04-24-2011, 05:59 AM

Default Installing steam on two hard drives

Alright guys and gals, I've got a query for you.

I've been browsing various SSDs after getting my income tax back. However, my main concern at this point is how to install my steam games on various drives. I plan on putting my constant go to games on my SSD, and everything else on my "old" HDD.

How do I install steam to two different locations? (Or do I?)
    How would I get steam to recognize games in different locations?
    Is there a way to choose where I want it to download to every time?

Thanks in advance!
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 04-24-2011, 07:13 AM

[FONT="Georgia"]Now I'm no expert by any stretch, but last year I had to transfer Steam to another (greater) Hard Drive. It was simple and if you don't have any saved games that you want kept then it's even easier!

I've never tried multiple drives but maybe this link can help.

[url]http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998110[/url]
    [/FONT]
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 04-24-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karazak View Post
    How do I install steam to two different locations? (Or do I?)
    You don't, the only way i'm aware of getting steam games across two drives is if they are in RAID 0 or 1.

Quote:
    How would I get steam to recognize games in different locations?
    It doesn't, it reads from the steam folder, which is specified to one drive (or multiple if running RAID).

Quote:
    Is there a way to choose where I want it to download to every time?
    Nope, not that i'm aware of. It just downloads the games to the steam folder on what ever drive you put it on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I think the real reason we're a dying breed is because we have trouble breeding.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 04-24-2011, 11:21 AM

Steam is designed to run only from one directory, it is physically impossible to have your steam folder across 2 drives (unless you are using something like raid as it acts as one drive)

this is why SSD's are useless at the sizes out now and the price.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 04-24-2011, 03:21 PM

You cannot install Steam games anywhere other than the Steam folder, which limits them to being installed on just one drive. However, there is one workaround if you want to try it:

I believe Windows vista and 7 support symbolic links, so you may be able to work something out using those. A symbolic link is basically a shortcut that pretends to be a directory - so any programs will see it as a normal directory, but when they open it, they will be taken to the folder it points to instead, which could be anywhere on the computer. Google for detailed information on how to create them, or just copy my example below.

So, what you could do is install Steam and your games on your normal HD, then cut and paste the folders of the games you want onto your SSD, and create a symbolic link in the Steam folder for each one, with the same name as the game's folder, and pointing to the new location.

So, say for example, you installed Steam on drive C:, but wanted to put Audiosurf on drive D:. You would first install it with Steam as normal, putting it on drive C:, then cut and paste the audiosurf folder from "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common" to "D:\Games". Next, you would open up a command prompt with elevation (ie. run cmd.exe as an administrator), and run the command "mklink /D C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\audiosurf D:\Games\audiosurf". Now, when Steam tries to access the audiosurf directory, it will be automatically be redirected to the folder on your SSD instead, completely transparently.

Note that if you choose to uninstall the game through Steam, it will probably just delete the link instead of the game, so you'll have to do it manually. This technique also isn't possible in Windows XP, to my knowledge (and I've never tried it in Vista, though it should work the same).

Last edited by The_Terminator; 04-24-2011 at 03:23 PM.