Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 12-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Default Antarctic Lake

A British team of scientists are going to be drilling into a sealed off lake under an antarctic ice sheet. The lake has been cut of from the rest of the world for half million years. Interesting to see if any life has evolved any differently.

[url]http://www.skynews.com.au/world/article.aspx?id=824587[/url]

Any life they find down there could be living in conditions that could be similar on Jupiter's moon Europa.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a more serious note: Have these people not watched The Thing?
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 12-09-2012, 01:54 PM

on an even more serious note , I'm rather concerned that we're going to damage this pristine environment.

yes I realise that we could potentially learn a lot from this and that precautions have been taken but is it really worth it ?
    -8GB kingston DDR3 1333MHz HyperXBlu Red
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

Void Destroyer - Space Sim meets RTS
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 12-09-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    on an even more serious note , I'm rather concerned that we're going to damage this pristine environment.

yes I realise that we could potentially learn a lot from this and that precautions have been taken but is it really worth it ?
    I would argue there are worse things that have been done in the name of science.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 12-09-2012, 04:15 PM

There's an older antarctic lake, (Lake Vostok), that the Russians broke through to in Feb 2012. It's circa 20 million years old, and is believed to be the oldest and deepest at 2.4 km. The drill team had to pull back when the antarctic winter set in, but they will be returning about now in the arctic summer, to retrieve samples.

[url]http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/02/russia-subglacial-lake-antarctica-drilling/1[/url]

It's a very big lake, (160 miles by 30), so the sci fi fan in me wonders if the life down there might not be both very large and very weird, given that it has had 20 million years of evolution isolated from the sun and other species.

Regards - Mr P