Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games > PC Gamer Game Club

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-12-2010, 05:08 PM

Smile PC Gamer Game Club Week 3: Fallout

-
    -

[CENTER][SIZE="6"]PC GAMER GAME CLUB[/SIZE][/center]

What is the PC Gamer Club?

The PC Gamer Club (PCGC for short) is where the great minds of the internets come together to talk about the game of the week.

How does the club work?

Each week a winner of the previous week's poll is chosen to take center stage in our discussion. Members have one week prior to the start of the current week's club to get a hold of the game, be it digital download, physical retailers, garage sales, or even those old floppies lying around since 1992. Throughout the week, members will play the game and give their feedback on what worked, what didn't, and how it stands up to today's standards. The week will officially start on Mondays, and run until the following Sunday.

How can I join?

The requirements of joining the PCGC are easy.

1. you must have a registered account in good standings at pcgamer.com.

2. you must own, rent, or borrow a copy of the game. That's it.

Do I have to participate every week?

Absolutely not. Come and go as you please.

Are there any costs?

Joining the club is 100% free. The only fee you may or may not be subject to is the cost of the game.

How much will the games cost?

We will hold costs down to $10 or less per week, barring any exceptions.

Where can I buy the games?

Each week a post with a link to a current e-tailer will be provided along with the game title. You're also encouraged to search ebay, craigslist, and other listings to find the best prices.

My PC is outdated by today's standards, will I be able to participate?

Absolutely. Most of the games we will be focusing on are categorized as "classic" titles. The hardware requirements will be kept to a minimum to ensure everyone gets a chance to participate.

Can we mod the game to our taste?

Well, it's your game, we can't tell you how to play it. However, you should keep in mind that the focus of conversation will be on based on the developer's original vision of the game. Mods often take away game mechanics that, no matter how trifle or trivial they may seem, are part of the original design. It makes for better conversation if you can adequately explain why a certain game feature distracted you from enjoying the game then patching it with a mod.

Will there be spoilers?

Absolutely. People play at their own pace, and because of that we have to disallow a ban on spoilers. To ban spoilers would handcuff the conversation until everyone catches up. It's a weekly affair, so for the sake of pace, we must keep the conversation flowing. Unfortunately, that means spoiling some key plots in games.

Can I take screenshots and post them in the conversation?

Absolutely, but try to keep them to a maximum of 1280x1024, so a) it doesn't warp the board, and b) people on dial-up (yes they do exist) can participate. Photobucket auto-resizes images to a max of 1280x1024, so uploading there is a safe bet.

I have a game I think everyone will love, how can I nominate it?

Games should be nominated in the PCGC weekly nomination thread. This thread, and all concurrent weekly game threads should contain only information relevant to the game that's in discussion.

Can I nominate console games?

Sorry, no. For obvious reasons.

What is the best way to participate?

The best way to participate is by following these basic and simple guidelines:

[INDENT][LIST][*]Be thorough. That doesn't mean you have to write a book (although if you want to go ahead). Try to make arguments that are clear and easy to understand by everyone. If a game sucks, don't just say it sucks, tell us why you think it sucks. Was it the game or was it one mechanic that threw you off? What could they have done to improve the game?

[*]Be respectful. Opinions are just that: opinions. They are subjective to the player, and so to argue your opinion is better or worse than another persons is as pointless as arguing if a cup is half full or half empty.

[*]Be vocal. Ask other members about their experiences and compare them to yours. Then debate them on theirs.
    [/LIST][/INDENT]

And last, but not least, HAVE FUN!

[SIZE="5"][CENTER]THIS WEEKS GAME: FALLOUT[/CENTER][/SIZE]

[CENTER][/CENTER]

GENRE: TURN-BASED RPG

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: Microsoft® 2000/XP/Vista®, Pentium 90 or better, 16Mb RAM, 565MB Hard Disk Space

SYNOPSIS: (from wikipedia)

Fallout is a computer role-playing game produced by Tim Cain, developed by Black Isle Studios (though before the studio was named "Black Isle") and published by Interplay in 1997. The game has a post-apocalyptic setting in the mid-22nd century, though its story and artwork are heavily influenced by graphics from the 1950s.

The game is sometimes considered to be an unofficial sequel to Wasteland, but it could not use that title as Electronic Arts held the rights to it; and, except for minor references, the games are set in separate universes. It was also intended to use Steve Jackson Games' GURPS system, but that deal fell through due to the excessive amounts of violence and gore included in the game, forcing Black Isle to change the already implemented GURPS system to the internally developed SPECIAL system.

Critically acclaimed, the game inspired a number of sequels and spin-off games, known collectively as the Fallout series.

Gameplay in Fallout consists of traveling around the game world, visiting locations and interacting with the local inhabitants, and is typically in real-time. Occasionally, inhabitants will be immersed in dilemmas which the player may choose to solve in order to acquire karma and experience points. Alternately, the player may choose to ignore requests for help, in which case he or she has the option of acting on behalf of an opposing faction, or purely in self-interest. Experience points may still be rewarded if the player acts for an opposing interest or in self-interest. Ultimately, players will encounter hostile opponents (if such encounters are not avoided using stealth or diplomacy), in which case they and the player will engage in combat.

PRICE: $9.99 (steam)/$5.99 (GOG)

STEAM LINK: [url]http://store.steampowered.com/app/38400/[/url]
    GOG LINK: [url]http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout[/url]
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 07-13-2010, 03:13 AM

alrite guys week 3 is Fallout week. Discuss!

And please, when you get a chance read this thread: [url]http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750[/url] I'm trying to figure out if we should keep polling games every week or have random people choose.

Thanks!

EDIT 07/13/10

Opened a separate poll for discussion on the length of time we should spend on games located here: [url]http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=770[/url]

be sure to sound off and make your voice heard.

Any other suggestions can be made here: [url]http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthr...?t=273&page=11[/url]

That being said, lets try to keep the thread focused on Fallout for easier reference.

As always, thanks guys.

Last edited by mosdefon1; 07-14-2010 at 04:48 AM. Reason: announcement
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-13-2010, 04:02 AM

"A Trader's Life" is the best video game soundtrack song ever.

I'll have more later.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 07-13-2010, 06:21 AM

Well, at seeing this I thought to myself:

"Lucky me, I just happen to have a late game Fallout save in my laptop right now."

I boot it up. Load the game. And upon finishing loading... it crashes.

Every. Single. Time.

*sigh*
    Even Death may die
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-13-2010, 07:37 AM

Ok,

After the best intro and scene setter ever 'war never changes' i've opted to go for a new char. i've tagged steal, lockpick and speech. i'm going to play primarily as a rogue - fast and high crit, able to talk my way out of situations and nick everything.

i'm also gifted and have finesse. hight agility, intelligence and perception, my other will stats suffer for it (not really a biggie).

righto! out the door and killed every rat in my way with my bare hands. head to the map screen and head east towards a green settlement. some sort of issue with your town and radscorpions? no problem! i'll mosey on in and take them out for Aradesh. (Nice fellow, big nose.)
    This is what started to make fallout that little bit special for me. the talking heads. made it feel a little bit more immersive.

had a bit more of a poke, helped with crop rotation and picked up some rope, books and some chap called ian.

off to the radscorpion cave i go hi ho!....more to come.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 07-13-2010, 03:30 PM

Looking forward to re-playing this classic.

Is there any chance to do the game club on a bi-weekly, or monthly schedule? I haven't even grazed the surface on X-COM, and there's no way I'll get through Fallout in a week. :O
    "Don't sweat the petty stuff, & Don't pet the sweaty stuff"
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 07-13-2010, 05:06 PM

I agree with Yeti! I don't have the time to blast though X-Com, Deus Ex or Fallout in a week!

Spare a thought for the poor few of us who have jobs!

(Before you say it yes I am a student, but doing 9-5 research for the uni during summer in the lab).
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 07-13-2010, 06:50 PM

I concur, monthly would be great! and im still gonna do this one, as i loved the original Fallout but never finished it
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 07-13-2010, 07:01 PM

Hi I am new to the forums but I am a longtime listener to the podcast and I am going to give Fallout a try this week as I have never played it. I loved Fallout 3 and I am ready to give the original a shot as I have heard great things about it.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 PM

Okay for the first sesh ive created the character 'Stevie' skilled mainly in perception and has small guns, speech and repair, she is good natured and has finesse, im trying to make some kind of sharpshooter really.

I dodged the rats and set off for shady sands, stopping to pick up some random items on the way, I got there, met the locals and killed the scorpions in the caves, im gonna go to vault 15 later on.