Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Raids and Events > Team Epic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 02-22-2011, 09:06 PM

Default Nefarian and Adds

I've been doing some more research into the adds on Nefarian.

The general feeling on the subject is that they NEED to die in the same place or very close to each other.

The reason for this is that in phase 3 you want to have all the adds awakened as soon as possible, which means you need to get shadowflame on them. If they are spread the only way to do this is to run an add all round the room, leaving a trail of fire in its wake. This creates problems when you need to avoid the fire whilst kiting them.

It IS possible to do the fight without resetting them, but not in combination with the longer phase 3 we are going for.

What I propose we do is either have someone tank/kite ALL the adds in phase 1 so they die close togther or alternatively look into the timing for 3 crackles in phase 1.

The technique of add kiting seems to be that you get them all awake at the start of phase 3, then slowly backpedal around the room for most of the time. When shadowflame bolt comes off cooldown (DBM shows this) switch to strafing away to kite instead of backpedalling. This should put some distance between you and the adds so their energy doesn't reset when the bolt lands.

The frequency of shadowflame bolts increases as the fight goes on. This is the (fast) soft enrage timer of phase 3. Estimates are that after 3 minutes of phase 3 no matter how good your tanks and healers are that your kiting tank will be about ready to fall over and die.

A poster on tankspot said that if you can wipe below 25% without resetting the adds that you are within inches of a kill. That's about where we wiped - without resetting the adds.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 02-22-2011, 09:21 PM

We can revert to the Plate DPS tanking Onyxia tactic for phase 1; that will ensure they all die in an optimal place.

All we need is a bit of luck with loot drops this week and we'll be close.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 PM

While that will make phase 1 healing harder with us burning through phase 2 quickly and the fact it will make phase 3 healing much easier it should make the overall healing a bit easier.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 AM

I assume Contagion is the best candidate for dps tanking Onyxxia due to having lots of OP Deathknight cooldowns and the ability to switch into Blood Presence?

Failing that Darksen could use a macro to strap on a Sword n' Board but that would gimp a few of his abilities and so threat might be an issue.

WTB well geared raiding kitty - they make awesome emergency / DPS tanks since its the same talent tree just with a slightly different points allocation.

I've read some crazy things as well about having as many people as possible equip [URL="http://www.wowhead.com/item=62466"]Mirror of Broken Images[/URL], as it's 1 minute cooldown and 400+ resistance use effect can make handling Crackles much easier. With Mark of the Wild / Resistance Aura up it reduces incoming Magic damage by ~50%, meaning Crackles will hit people for about 50k instead of 100K - altogether alot more manageable. Not sure whether Crackels are the problem at the moment though?

Last edited by Cataclysmic; 02-23-2011 at 09:00 AM.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 02-23-2011, 09:12 AM

At the moment, healer mana is the main problem. Which means either we need better gear (certainly, I'm using a load of caster DPS gear which doesn't give good regen) or, more likely, we need the raid (in particular the tonks) to take less damage.

Here's how I'd like us to approach the fight next time:

Have a plate DPSer tank Ony whilst the adds are up, so Klog can bunch them up in a sensible place.
    Keep a couple of DPS (those with long ramp-up times) on Onyxia, whilst the rest switch to Neffy. We'll do our best to do lots of damage to Nef. If we can get to 3 crackles, we will.

Phase 2 will only have one crackle; the payoff with a slightly harder p3 is worth it, when the healers are able to support each other.

Phase 3 will simply be a burn phase, with Klog and the healers having the hard job.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 02-23-2011, 04:45 PM

The timing on 3 phase 1 crackles is such that you have a window that is only a few seconds long in which to bring Ony down to zero. She would have to be brought very very low before that 3rd crackle.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 02-23-2011, 05:11 PM

Yeah, that's why I think it's best to leave 1 or 2 DPS with slow ramp-up times on her throughout, provided we can balance the damage right.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 AM

Have just read that you can reduce damage in phase 2 by spreading out on the very edge of the pillars, as the splash radius from Nefarian's spammy shadowbolts is quite small. That might help.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 03-03-2011, 01:50 PM

indeed, we tend to stick as far to the edge as possible. its is a life saver for dmg reduction as the adds hit box is bigger than the platform its stands on
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 03-03-2011, 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=Cataclysmic;76819]
    WTB well geared raiding kitty - they make awesome emergency / DPS tanks since its the same talent tree just with a slightly different points allocation.
    [QUOTE]

If i was raiding that was a little more geared (albeit not too bad, few creases to iron out) i would feral charge myself at Epic.

As it stands, kittys are rare, but can defo make decent emergency tanks. Need moawr druids.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin