Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 02-22-2011, 01:35 AM

Exclamation Disabled: An open plea to Valve

Hello PCgamer forums/reader, I know that you may think that this is a spam topic but please, hear me out this is very important to me. Moderators, please let this thread remain I need to get this out there so I can try to get some support if any at all. Thank you

Disabled. It's a word that all Steam users fear to see. I saw it earlier today after saying a seemingly harmless joke in a chatroom that was filled with seemingly harmless jokes. This chatroom was called "his name is house is sell" which is also the group name. We were discussing what was happening with the steam client earlier today as many of you might of already seen was the bizzare warpings of the words that we were saying. I was in the chat with several other members and some Steam developers who were talking to us about the issue. The chat after the developers told us what happened divulged into a joking atmosphere with one user saying "Steam devs are asleep post some videos <video link>" and other users followed. I decided to (in probably a not very smart move I admit) say "Steam devs are asleep post steam hack forums that are 99% used by 12 year olds because their mom won't let them use their credit card <site link here>". Few minutes later, bam, I was disabled. A very bad feeling crept up inside me and I started shaking (ha ha, yes I was shaking because I was scared that I was permanently disabled forever). I've contacted Steam support and as a last measure, have written up an email to Gabe Newell that I will send if Steam support does not cooperate with me. If all else fails, maybe he can do something about it. Here's the email, I've bolded the important parts:

Quote:
    Dear Mr. Newell,

Recently, I was subject to having my Steam account disabled for what I thought was a harmless joke at the time. I was participating in the group chat "his name is sell is house" due to the recent discovering of a text-hash bug that caused a whole bunch of things to happen when you typed out certain things. During the chat, members starting making jokes about Steam devs being asleep and to post random things. I said "Steam devs are asleep post steam hack sites that are 99% used by 12 year olds because their mom won't let them use their credit card <site link>" I admit that it probably wasn't a smart move to actually link it but it was honestly with no ill content towards you, your company, or your staff meant as a joke. BurtonJ and al where in the chat at the time and I suspect one of them did it. I've sent in a Steam support ticket but I have a feeling that it won't work so my last option is to appeal to you. I love Valve for what it stands for and it does for the PC gaming community.I do not condone that anyone hack or pirate anything from Valve or Steam. It was just a harmless joke that I knew the people in that chat would of agreed with. I would never even dream of seriously telling someone to go to a site like that and pirating from you and your company. It was meant in jest and in sarcasm. I apologize for my actions and for what I said. I do not think that this disabling of my Steam account was done in just and I would like this issue to be actually discussed instead of just getting a automated response from someone in the support center. I've been a Valve customer for years (I registered my steam account in 2009 but years before that I supported you when I was one of the first in line at EB games to buy Half Life 1) and again I would never dream of Pirating or condoning such things towards you and your company that you have spent years developing and making. This whole thing has got me worried that I might have to take my business else where because Valve employees cannot understand a silly comment. I meant no disrespect or offense towards BurtonJ or al and any other Steam developer that were in the chat at the time. They are amazing fellows that make Steam what it is today and that is the best digital distribution service on the planet. They deserve more respect that what people often time give them and I'd like to apologize to them for any sort of wrong doing that I might of done to have caused one of them to disable my account. I hope that you will actually read this and have the kindness and honesty that you are known for going into this situation. If there is nothing you can do though or if you do not believe I should be un-disabled. You just lost a very loyal Valve customer who has never hacked in any of your games or who has never pirated nor has ever condoned the pirating of your companies games and software.

Sincerely,]
    Hopefully, Steam support will pull through for me and see that I did not mean it in seriousness and if not, will at least have a sense of humor in that I was only telling a joke and one of their Steam devs was just having a bad day or something. I thank you PC gamer forums for letting me post this and get this out here. I hope that there is at least one person, maybe two or three, out there that will support me in this situation and make it get attention from more gaming sites.

tl;dr my dog made a map of my school in Counter Strike and got sent to the pound
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 AM

you're an idiot.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 AM

Just to confirm, did you actually link to a site where you can pirate Steam games?

#4   Report Post  
    Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 AM

So you linked to a crack site in Steam chat and got you account banned?

I guess you will have to prove your loyalty to Valve by buying all your games again.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 AM

You're right, it wasn't a smart move.

So many things I could say right now, but what I will say is this: best of luck, and I hope you haven't lost too many games.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Yep considering the whole thing with the leakage of Half Life 2 Source Code in 2007, do you really think anyone from Steam would take that was a joke? Talk about a dumb moment.

I say you accept the facts and move on. I was hit by the 5000 COD MW2 ban even though I had only played it online twice. After it was announced everyone would get their accounts back I was overjoyed. Alas for some reason I was excluded, and after spending 3 months ringing / emailing / writing to Steam I just gave up and started a new account. Lost about £500 worth of games.

i7 2600k 4.6Ghz (Corsair H80 Water Cooling)
    8GB Corsair Vengance 1600Mhz
    Asus P8Z68 V - PRO Motherboard
    MSI GTX 580 Lightning (Factory Overclocked)
    LG 22x DVDRW Generic
    1TB Western Digital 7200RPM 64Mb Cache
    60GB Adata SSD (OS)
    850W Corsair Enthusiast PSU
    Bit Fenix Colossus Case
    Dell 23" LED IPS Monitor
    Razer Black Widow Ultimate / Razer Naga / Razer Megalodon

Add me on Steam

Check out my new Youtube Channel for SC2 Casts and game playthroughs!
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 02-22-2011, 11:16 AM

to be honest if you are stupid enough to give a link on how to hack steam accounts over steam (more so if devs are there even if they are afk as they still have logs) you deserve everything you get and nothing you can do will get your account back and you basically just told a bunch of people how to get games from steam without paying.

also sending a wall of text probably won't help things.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 02-22-2011, 11:22 AM

I suspect you are fresh out of luck - they are well within their rights to ban you, and I doubt they can allow individual exceptions without opening a legal can of worms for themselves.

Also, I doubt that the "I've been a good valve customer" argument holds water. That's only half a step away from saying that if you have spent enough money with them you are allowed to indulge in a little piracy, now and again. I don't see anyone condoning that.

Last edited by Aposter; 02-22-2011 at 11:40 AM.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 02-22-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aposter View Post
    I suspect you are fresh out of luck - they are well within their rights to ban you, and I doubt they can allow individual exceptions without opening a legal can of worms for themselves.

Also, I doubt that the "I've been a good valve customer" argument holds water. That's only half a step away from saying that if you have spent enough money with them you are allowed to indulge in a little piracy, now and again. I don't see anyone condoning that.
    Definitely, you wouldn't steal from a shop, get caught and then expect to still be allowed to shop there, this is no different, I'm not too sure why you posted it here though.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 PM

I know it is your own fault, but if I were in your situation I would still boycott Steam. I have no reason for this, but let's face it, if you had a boxed copy of a game you wouldn't lose your game (unless there's some super-stingy DRM or some random stupid rule- StarCraft 2, I am looking at you, even that could probably be avoided by temporarily disconnecting from the internet whenever you choose to play it, again, assuming a connection isn't mandatory). This shows the limitations of digital download distribution. I don't really know what I am talking about, but that's my guess

Habe ich eine braucht kondom gegessen.
    Best you don't ask.