Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer

#41   Report Post  
    Old 08-19-2010, 01:39 AM

But there's only one mission on the server, Evan!
      #42   Report Post  
    Old 08-19-2010, 01:28 PM

I don't know why I have issues with this game. I loved Operation Flashpoint; and this seems to be the same bones with prettier skin. Between the complexity of the controls and the hit or miss AI, I find it hard to click that final "Purchase for myself" button on steam. Should I stop focusing in on the single player and just let the multiplayer experience (which I have yet to try) speak for the game?
      #43   Report Post  
    Old 08-20-2010, 10:49 AM

Do NOT buy this game from Steam. You can't run Combine Ops with mods with the Steam version (Steam issue, Bohemia can't do anything about it really) If you want to go digital download go for the [url=http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php]Sprocket Version[/url] which is not much more expensive, but has no DRM, can use mods and most of the money goes straight to the devs. Much better idea.

On whether you should get it, the controls you do, eventually, get used to. There are lots of AI mods (Zeus AI being my favourite) which to at least some extent deal with the AI. The multiplayer is very strong and definitely worth the purchase, but there are lots of custom single player missions which really add to the lifespan of the single player. It took me a long time to make my mind, I'm glad I bought it.

In Arduis Fidelis
      #44   Report Post  
    Old 08-24-2010, 06:26 PM

Hey guys, have just bought Combined Ops and have loved reading the articles on the site and listened to your podcast Evan, thanks for putting those together, really interesting.

I've tracked down the PC Gamer server, do you guys announce when you are going to be playing a mission? Would really love to get involved some time.

Thanks
      #45   Report Post  
    Old 08-27-2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Decho View Post
    Do NOT buy this game from Steam. You can't run Combine Ops with mods with the Steam version (Steam issue, Bohemia can't do anything about it really) If you want to go digital download go for the [url=http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php]Sprocket Version[/url] which is not much more expensive, but has no DRM, can use mods and most of the money goes straight to the devs. Much better idea.

On whether you should get it, the controls you do, eventually, get used to. There are lots of AI mods (Zeus AI being my favourite) which to at least some extent deal with the AI. The multiplayer is very strong and definitely worth the purchase, but there are lots of custom single player missions which really add to the lifespan of the single player. It took me a long time to make my mind, I'm glad I bought it.
    Really...You can't run mods with the Combined Ops version? What about just the Operation Arrowhead on steam? I was going to be getting this soon, but I want to make sure I have access to all the great mods Evan talks about.
      #46   Report Post  
    Old 08-27-2010, 06:20 AM

Talking mods with steam

I was worried about the same thing Tweeg but I found this forum thread which describes how to use mods with the Steam version of Arma 2

- [url]http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&p=57105[/url] -

Hope that helps
      #47   Report Post  
    Old 08-27-2010, 07:01 AM

That is just for ArmA 2, I knew you could do that. Equally, the expansions tab lets you add mods in the game itself with the Steam version of Arrowhead. However, Steam essentially uses a hack to graft the two together (they're installed to different places with Steam, but to the same place with retail or sprocket), which basically screws up mods. If you find a workaround for it, I would be very happy to know it

Sprocket is a nice way to go, and if you go retail there's good odds you'd want to use it to get the new DLC (which is really good by the way), though you can also get it through gamer's gate.

In Arduis Fidelis
      #48   Report Post  
    Old 09-08-2010, 11:39 AM

Have you guys played Insurgency co-op mission? [url]http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11935[/url] I got to play this on the weekend, its amazing. You have to find and destroy 9 ammo caches, the location of which you discover through interrogating insurgents (some enemies will surrender, you have to make sure not to kill them - difficult to do when under fire, makes it very tense). A few times we got ambushed on the roads as well were driving our HUMVEEs in a convoy, jumped out, healed the injured as the rest of the team layed down covering fire. We got into situations that reminded me a bit of Black Hawk Down.

Anyway, a great mission and worth checking out.
      #49   Report Post  
    Old 09-11-2010, 07:11 PM

we should try and fill the server today, would be fun to play the above mission or any other one.

Last edited by Conkker; 09-11-2010 at 07:19 PM.
      #50   Report Post  
    Old 09-12-2010, 04:53 PM
    Administrator

Hay guys, just updating that I'm on vacation through this week. Hoping to schedule an Operation Arrowhead game for next weekend--please highlight any missions you'd like us to put on the server here!

Tags

arma, arma 2