Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU)

#11   Report Post  
    Old 07-09-2010, 08:03 AM

If you are confident messing around with components then Novatech do great bare-bones systems (Case, motherboard, memory & CPU). Then you just need DVD, graphics card and hard drives. I'm not a sound snob so the on board is always good for me.

[URL="http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/barebones.html"]http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/barebones.html[/URL]

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012

Last edited by Bimble; 07-09-2010 at 08:05 AM.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 07-09-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spectrus View Post
    You must have a really high desk.
    hehe nah was moving my laptop and being me i tried taking everything at once and it slid out my hands :P i think though its partly my laptop thats the problem since the touch pad is getting same problem as mouse (the left button stops working proper). Hoping a new computer will wash away that but if not, i'll buy another *sigh*.

Thanks again, think i'll go check PC world for some good bargains.

Lev
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 07-10-2010, 10:06 AM

I use Cyberpower (cyberpowersystems.com) for all my PC building needs.
    Basically pick a pre made PC, then add or remove components as your budget allows.
    A lot of people use HD TVs for monitors, which is not surprising really as depending on the make, some HD TVs are PC monitors with TV tuners shoehorned in (Samsung springs to mind.)
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 AM

Ok i went onto PC world's online shop and here the link of one i can afford, whats your thoughts?
    [url]http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/advent-centurion-cpd1301-04153050-pdt.html[/url] (Specs any good?)
    I Should be getting a monitor sorted, if not i'll have to look for something else since my budget probably wont be able to buy that plus a decent monitor.

Lev
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 07-13-2010, 11:03 AM

I would say it is fine for the money, but I would look around a bit more.

My comments:
    [LIST][*]I hate the case, I like things all at the front so I can push it under a desk[*]The spec doesn't say what the motherboard is. I would like to know that it is a reliable make[*]What is the PSU output.[*]How big are the cooling fans and how many are there. You don't want the thing overheating. More fans equals bigger psu to run them all[*]It doesn't appear that there would be much room for expansion, but would like to look inside the box before I buy[*]It doesn't give any performance figures, so you can't say how it would perform against other comparable setups[/LIST]
    Just a few quick ideas, others my be able to help wth better ones. The fact is you could run around for weeks looking at PCs, when you want it now. I would also ask them if they could run some games on the demonstration model before you buy.
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 07-13-2010, 09:04 PM

I have found that PSUs can be the biggest problem with machines that are not designed for gaming. I would check this before buying. Although, it is fairly easy to add a replacement.

Also, the end of line PCs that are actually in the store and normally better than the online deals.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 07-13-2010, 11:34 PM

I'd recommend Overclockers.co.uk if your looking for a pre built box.
    For the same price as that PC world one you could get [URL="http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-258-OK&groupid=43&catid=1078&subcat="]THIS[/URL]
    It has a better CPU and a better graphics card, and a less obtrusice case. That Advent one look TERRIBLE!
    Only downside is you have to pay extra for Windowz and it has a smaller HD but they are cheap as chips now.
    I'll even send you one of my spares rather than you spend money at PCWorld lol.

The mobo is an AM3 so you can upgrade to the X6 chips if ever you get a bit of wedge in the future plus I think it may have the tech that was in PCGamer this month about unlocking the extra core in an X3 chip (but you'd have to research that more)
    It has 1 x PCI Express x16 slot 2.0 (taken by the gfx obviously) 1 x PCI Express (does anyone even use these atm?) and 2x PCI slots for soundcards etc. so even though its a smaller form factor mobo there is room there for expansion.

If thats still stretching the budget try this other [URL="http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-259-OK&groupid=43&catid=1444&subcat="]AMD SYSTEM[/URL] or this [URL="http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-226-OK"]Intel Core i3 SYSTEM[/URL]
    Note: The intel system will NEED a gfx card if you were going to go down that route. The onboard, although better than they used to be, is not made for gaming in the slightest.

Sorry I'm getting techie, comes from years of building them for friends/family and wanting them to get the best for the money (usually involving me with scuffed fringers off chips,cards and screws :P)

Nothing is more satisfying than building your own and it booting for the first time.
    They're not made of fairy dust and spiders webs, you just need common sense and a bit of time.
    If youve got 5 hours it takes 5 minutes and if youve got 5 minutes it takes 5 hours (usually cos you borked it cos you rushed lol)

Last edited by Goffik; 07-14-2010 at 12:01 AM.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 07-14-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goffik View Post

Nothing is more satisfying than building your own and it booting for the first time.
    Hah, I've been messing around on the inside of computers for almost twenty years, and I have NEVER had one boot up the first time
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 07-14-2010, 08:10 AM

Must....resist....your doing it wrong....joke....

I've been VERY lucky in that respect then
    Only 3 times can I remember cocking it up.

1. Rebuilt a mates computer and then it wouldnt see any of the hard drives. EEP!
    Turns out I hadnt put the damn power cables in I spent nearly an hour bricking it thinking I was gonna have to buy him all new HD's!

2. I blew up an Athlon XP chip by thinking I could run it for like 10 seconds without a heat sink to trouble shoot something.
    Wrong!

3. Back in the day before it was easy to update your bios. I did it to one of my Dad's computers and it nuked it.
    Thank god it was like a P2 or something so he bought a new one lol

I'm sure there probably are many more but I just cant remember them.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 07-14-2010, 07:34 PM

I'm with Narcy on this one: I have in the past and will in the future use Cyberpower, even though the one I have is ageing a little now in terms of spec. Their service is top notch and good value. You can tailor the spec right down to how they route the wiring in the case - not that that's hugely important. The website also keeps the stuff you spec compatible, so there's no danger of you choosing an AMD motherboard and and intel processor

Lev, I'd reccomend you check out their website and actually spec a pc to your budget - even if you just go for a look, at the very least, you'll know what you could be getting for your money from other places.