Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU)

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-07-2010, 11:45 PM

Default A request for help

To start, before anyone says anything, i did post this in the forums section but i didn't get much useful help so iv came to the peoples that i trust.
    So basically, my laptop sucks and i have money to spend(Roughly £520) on getting a new computer/laptop/magic gaming device. I will need a monitor too, but not a fancy one, cheap i dont really mind, but be able to use on my spare T.v's tho?. If anyone can link me a set up, or a shopping list sort of thing since I'm well, useless at this stuff, i might end up buying something from PC world if i don't get help soon

Thanks in advance, Sorry for posting in the wrong place but i did post in the tech forums and didn't get any help and i trust you guys better with my money (in a sense if you get what I'm talking about).

Lev
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 10:01 AM

i recently bought a cheap HP widescreen 21.5inc monitor for £120 and its mint for WoW. monitors are pretty easy to buy now days as they have almost everything.

in means of PC, i normally buy mine in parts. e.g motherboard/graphics card/hard drive/power supply etc etc.

normally works out at about £200-£300 cheaper than sold in shops. you can build a good gaming PC for about £500-£600 and just get someone to put it together for you for a fee. check out places like overclockers.co.uk there normally great in that department
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 PM

I don't really know much about any of that technical stuff, but the PC Gamer rig looks pretty tasty (pg124, issue 216). More particularly theres a really nice looking monitor on there by Hannspring. I wants one! Some of the other bits might give you some inspiration too!

Have fun shopping!
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 08:14 PM

I use a HD TV as my main monitor it's a LG M228WD. I've had it a few years now and it runs everything fine. The benefit is I can watch free view and play my PS3 with no problems.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 PM

lev your better off going with a desk top as lappys cost more, also if you think you are capable it is always worth building them your self and it's actually really simple once you get past picking compatible hardware.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 08:37 PM

The real question Lev is: are you any good at putting PCs together from a bunch of components? If you don't know your PSU from you GPU then I would say look for a prebuilt one. Some of the adds in PCGamer for gaming rigs look good for the money. I wouldn't know about finding someone to build it for you. If you go down that route you should find someone who can provide you with the names of people who he's built for so you can check him out. It could be an expensive way to go about things as well.

As for a monitor, for £130-£150 you can get a decent 22" widescreen. The specs on monitors can be bewildering as well. Some screens have better colour balance at the expense of speed, others have better contrast ratio but sacrifice something else. The main thing is choose a well known make and check out the reviews. Not that they help that much. I have a 24" LG Flatron on my main gaming rig which was pretty much panned by everyone, but I love it.

The technical stuff in the mag is really good for beginners too. I agree with Chewie that the PCgamer rig is good. But the costings are very much off as components have in general got more expensive over the past year or so.

Good luck for whatever you decide to do.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 09:49 PM

I'm thinking i'll get a pre built one and then use one my spare T.v's which would be a bit easier. Going to have at the latest mag see if theres any nice pre built ones that are around my price net. (Btw iv been put off laptops anyway so thats not an option anymore). Thanks for all the help guys as i am helpless with this stuff, and no i cant tell my EPU's and GPU's or... what did you say? How much is a keyboard btw?Nothing fancy, just like nothing special on it just so i can type, £15.99 maybe? (saw one in tesco around that price the other day) or at that price and since i'll be using it most days, will that just break?

Thanks again guys

Lev
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 PM

Forgot to say that I use a TV tuner card for watching TV on the PC.

I have this one as I have a multi room sky package, but you can get a lot cheaper:

[URL="http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140477"]http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140477[/URL]

I'm not sure how you fix up ordinary TVs to use as monitors.

As for keyboards this is a bog-standard Logitech, and you can't go wrong with a Logitech (He says crossing fingers):

[URL="http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119298"]http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119298[/URL]

Last edited by Deadard; 07-08-2010 at 10:01 PM.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deadard View Post

you can't go wrong with a Logitech (He says crossing fingers):
    I can go wrong with em, bought a logitech mouse less that a month ago, broke already (maybe dropping it on the floor isnt the best thing for it thought, but dropping it shouldnt mess it up so baddly...)

Lev
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 07-09-2010, 05:22 AM

You must have a really high desk.

When I was budget PC shopping I used to go to PC World and buy something from the sale/end of line section. Although I hate the place with a passion, you can sometimes get some crazy bargains.Throw in a graphics card and voila (not bought from PC World). You will not get the absolute best spec gaming PC, but should be able to find something decent.

Unless you already have an operating system, I found this is an extra cost made building a PC more expensive than it looks.

Last edited by Spectrus; 07-09-2010 at 05:25 AM.