Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > General Articles

#11   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 05:00 PM

People like the focus of BGs, and the ability to win.
    World PvP has been slowly dying for a long time, as it lacks focus and reward. All you get is to know that you ruined some kids day, but you can get that in BGs.

Wintergrasp is a slight exception, as it offers the reward of being able to do VoA - an easy raid dungeon - for some pretty good loot. Having said this WG is pretty much a BG anyway really. Just not an instanced one.

Other than that though open PvP is little more than ganking really.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klogaroth View Post
    People like the focus of BGs, and the ability to win.
    World PvP has been slowly dying for a long time, as it lacks focus and reward. All you get is to know that you ruined some kids day, but you can get that in BGs.

Wintergrasp is a slight exception, as it offers the reward of being able to do VoA - an easy raid dungeon - for some pretty good loot. Having said this WG is pretty much a BG anyway really. Just not an instanced one.

Other than that though open PvP is little more than ganking really.
    I'm spoiled, having played a mmo with completely open pvp for 5 years. It seems difficult for wow to form any real long term rivalry with the "no talking in game to the other factions" and the lack of big world pvp battles. I can understand the drive to win but ruining some kids day could lead to that kid calling his friends and having some great pvp. I think the pvp is the reward in this occasion. Regardless im not bashing wow, as I love it, just slightly disappointed with how the pvp system is setup
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 05:38 PM

I guess that my advice would be to join a PvP server - sounds like you might find what you're looking for. I know I didn't join an RP server to get ganked while going about my business by the proverbial emo kid who's parents don't give them enough attention, or equally by people who have nothing better to do than ruin other people's day. If people enjoy that environment, good for them, use a PvP server, that's why Blizzard has PvE servers for people who prefer not to PvP all the time and PvP servers for those that do - simple solution to a very simple 'problem'.

Why not try BG's? They're incredible fun. If you don't like it I don't know what else to advise - I don't play any other MMO's and, I'm generally happy with what WoW offers in terms of variety.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chewwie View Post
    I guess that my advice would be to join a PvP server - sounds like you might find what you're looking for. I know I didn't join an RP server to get ganked while going about my business by the proverbial emo kid who's parents don't give them enough attention, or equally by people who have nothing better to do than ruin other people's day. If people enjoy that environment, good for them, use a PvP server, that's why Blizzard has PvE servers for people who prefer not to PvP all the time and PvP servers for those that do - simple solution to a very simple 'problem'.

Why not try BG's? They're incredible fun. If you don't like it I don't know what else to advise - I don't play any other MMO's and, I'm generally happy with what WoW offers in terms of variety.
    I have done battlegrounds and I find them difficult to adjust to. I prefer the hunt. I run through my general questing area looking for fights with people my level. I am joining a pvp server was just bouncing some ideas of you guys.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nyhcjedi View Post
    I have done battlegrounds and I find them difficult to adjust to. I prefer the hunt. I run through my general questing area looking for fights with people my level. I am joining a pvp server was just bouncing some ideas of you guys.
    I think even on a pvp server you will find open world fights between evenly matched individuals hard to find. My experience on a pvp server was that the large scale pvp battles in vanilla WoW were based around areas such as the Hillsbrad Foothills were you had reletively undefended Horde and Alliance towns close to each other. Unfortunately they are a distant (if fond) memory. These days open world pvp is more opportunistic. If you come across an enemy player at a lower level then you tend to take your chances and have a go at him. The probability is that the poor thing won't even see you coming until its too late. Its fun to begin with but not much of a test of anyone's ability.

Blizzard have moved away from the open world pvp concept probably once faced with complaints from a lot of players that got frustrated trying to level up their characters in the face of continued ganking. The cry of "you're on a pvp server, what do you expect" is ignored in the face of falling subscription revenue. You only need to see what has happened to the pvp servers on Age of Conan to find out how damaging true open world pvp can be to the gaming environment.
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 07-09-2010, 06:59 AM

One of the reasons I set up the guild on a fairly quiet RP-PVE server was because my first experiences with WoW - on a PVP open beta server back while I was reviewing it - were coloured by the fact that I was getting ganked so regularly, and I hated it. The world was so interesting to me and I hated being interrupted while exploring and questing. I accept there's a personal preference in this.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 07-09-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    One of the reasons I set up the guild on a fairly quiet RP-PVE server was because my first experiences with WoW - on a PVP open beta server back while I was reviewing it - were coloured by the fact that I was getting ganked so regularly, and I hated it. The world was so interesting to me and I hated being interrupted while exploring and questing. I accept there's a personal preference in this.
    Hated being in STV questing in my earlier WoW life, after discovering server migration, i promptly moved to PVE. Best move ever. If i hadnt i'd have probably hung up my wow boots a lot earlier.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 07-09-2010, 04:06 PM

Well as ross says it down to personal preference, and i did start on a pvp realm and it did put me off so i started on a new server (was only around lvl 10 so didnt bother with server migration) and it went a lot better for lvling. So my advise basicly is keep leveling the way you are on your server, once you hit lvl 80, move then, since you'll stand a bit more of a chance against other people. Bear in mind, world pvp is sort of dead at the moment in most servers, so don't think as soon as you transfer you'll be getting a fight every 5mins.

Lev
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 07-09-2010, 04:13 PM

To be honest, I have zero intention of ever raiding in WOW. It just doesn't hold any value to me. I'm not really interested in PVE achievements save doing a bit of exploring and such. I disagree regarding open world pvp being non-skilled. If a player attacks me while I am questing the skill involved would be to recover and counter attack. Personally I find it funny when a high level player attacks me because it is just motivation to get to a competitive level, and grind through the worthless pve quicker.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing pve people. It's fine and dandy if that's your thing. Hell wow even agreed by giving you complete servers where you cannot be attacked. I think if you are truly bothered by getting ganked or you don't like open pvp then pve servers are where you belong. Many games I played where ruined because players opted out of participating in server politics and weren't interested in fighting anybody or picking a side. Neutrals sometimes make a server boring. Pve servers would have fixed that issue.

That being said blizzard shouldn't stream line content based on pve servers for pvp servers. If they are going to make pvp servers then they should make more incentives to pvp in the open world.

By the way I am not a 16 year old emo rage kid, I just really enjoy open world pvp.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 07-09-2010, 04:21 PM

To be fair dude, WoW isn't a massive game about PvP, and to be honest all the pvp is more in BG's. The game is a lot more driven towards PvE. Saying that I am NOT saying PvP is hardly worth it, i do BG's most days and i enjoy them, however i don't enjoy world pvp as much. Mainly what I'm saying, what your looking for isn't exactly in wow, at best you'll get one fight a day, and it will be brief, who ever gets off the first kill, then its a corpse camp fest and thats basically it, and it's not the greatest fun you'll ever have.