Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > General Articles

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 PM

Default open world

Hope you all don't mind that I'm posting this here but there are a lot of anti wow types and I don't want this getting Off topic.

I'm a level 55 rogue. I play on a normal server (I selected this server because my cousin was on it). My

question is this:

Is there such thing as open world PVP in wow? I ask in game and people say it is dead and refer me to

instanced based pvp. I'm confused by this. Open world PVP is why I play mmos. Why would people opt to

do instanced based "siege like" pvp instead of massing big groups of alliance and horde players and going

at it? Seems that would be lots of fun (it was in other games back in the day). Should I stop playing???

My plan is to switch to a pvp server as soon as I can. Is there a point to play wow if you are very

into open pvp or is the aspect of the game dead? I have run into some on my normal server but 90% of the

people don't have their flags on. I do feel like I'm missing a big part of the game. What gives can someone

shed some light on the subject for me?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 07-07-2010, 08:49 PM

in WoW open world PVP normally consists of groups of max level players trawling lower level zones and killing every1 trying to level, then end game there isn't really and good open world PVP, before the battle ground there was a few areas with constant mass PVP fights but the battle grounds ended all that.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-07-2010, 10:57 PM

Best example i could give was before battle grounds.
    The night the honor point system was introduced a massive fight some how took root in hillsbrad. What must have started out as afew mid lvl players fighting it out soon spiraled into hundreds of players fighting it out on the open grass lands between the horde and alliance encampments. There were dozens of server crashes and lots of people being disconected across server simply because of the amount of players in the one area.
    The morning after all you could see, without a hint of exageration , was skeletons. If it wasnt for the fact that was acouple of pc's ago id post a screen shot.

Booty bay and STV in general use to also be full of people kicking one anothers teeth in. Booty bay stoped once the guard bug was fixed but every now and again you can still find a good scrap in STV, usualy round nesigwary.

The battle grounds did take a great part of the open world pvp away from wow. Alterac valley offerd afew thrills you had with open world pvp simply because of the size of the map but with the introduction of supply points and a time limit thats all gone to. Alterac valley battles in the past could last Hours and hours! People could have run molten core by the time it took and AV to end. A battle of iritation that just simply didnt want to end some times.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 07-07-2010, 11:32 PM

On the Massively populated PvP servers, world PvP is a bit more lively then anywhere else, but depends what time of day it is, where you are, and stuff. You'll find if you get killed in world pvp anyway you'll get corpse camped untill you get bored or manage to corpse drag yourself to a town. But, come cata, a pvp server will be interesting, right the launch day, grab some friends and get into their start zone and bam, got yourself and open world battle which could be interesting, but you'll be out numbered and probbly die. But after that, each new arena season starts seems to bring out world pvp a bit more, well it did on my last server. Hope my ramblings helped, but yes a PvP server is more the way to go if you want world pvp.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-07-2010, 11:33 PM

Also, rogues all the way, good man.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 01:38 AM

I remember the opening of the Dark Portal when the BC expansion came online. I was on a pvp server at the time and there was a massive fight around the portal as all the level 60s from both sides fought to stop the other side getting in. It must have gone on most of the day.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 08:05 AM

The BC portal opening we as awesome time; I also was on a PvP server. It was a mad bun fight!

Actually at 80 there is Wintergrasp which is open PvP but the main fight take place very 2.5 hours. I believe in Cataclysm there is going to be at least one more area.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 PM

so I get it on pvp servers there is some world pvp. Now for my second question: why would people opt for battlegrounds instead? I haven't done many b/c I have just been solo leveling and trying to get leveled before cata comes out. Is there a bonus or any reason why you would do a bg instead of world pvp?
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 01:33 PM

You get A LOT more honor, the currency which will go towards buying powerful PvP gear, plus theres a healthy number of achievement linked to each battleground, so achievement grinders, like bimble, have a reason to go in even if they dont enjoy PvP. Also, 5 mounts for 50k honor each, not much but again for achievements and showing off. Also best saving up as many honor points as you can for lvl 80, get some of the stronger gear, just remember the honor cap 75K so if you reach this, just buy a piece. Hope this helps

Lev
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 07-08-2010, 04:17 PM

ok so people abandoned world pvp to do instanced based pvp in order to kill more people in bg in order to gain better pvp gear to kill more people in bg? wow