Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Team Fortress 2

#21   Report Post  
    Old 09-29-2010, 10:31 PM

We could totally get a second TF2 server running, we'd have the numbers. Normally need to queue for a couple of minutes for a slot in the evening, which does rather suggest it's a popular server. The server was down today and while playing on random pubs I spotted at least half a dozen names I recognised from the PCG server. It's a sizeable group.

If you do get a second running, maybe even consider running a different rotation on it? While the current rotation isn't bad, I do feel the novelty value of the new maps is starting to wear out slightly I'd be up for some other CP maps to pop up in the rotation, at least from time to time. A different rotation also gives the second server something unique instead of just being an overspill of the first one.
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 09-30-2010, 10:14 PM

Admin mod, or at least _some mod_ can redirect to other ips if the main server is full. I've seen it happen on other servers.
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 01-14-2011, 08:51 PM

Default Do It!

server 2, Do It.......DO IIIIIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 12:42 PM

A second server would be great if it was set up differently, as in a Highlander server, or Vs Saxton Hale.

Something a little different than just another server with the same rotation, maybe even just a showcase for the best custom maps and keep the first for official Valve maps.

Also I am rubbish Herr Doktor. Hello.
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 01-29-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I just thought I would post a link to my thread about this here.

[url]http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2059[/url]
    What Arthur is suggesting (if you haven't already read it) is that we are more than happy for our server to act as an overflow or second server for PCG, it is a UK Game Server with good ping etc. If you find that a second TF2 server would put too much strain on the box then I'm sure that we can get something worked out

The thread that Arthur has linked to gives an overview of what Funky Bear Pie is and how we were formed, this isn't us trying to promote ourselves, merely offering to give back to the community that spawned us.

In regards to the map rotation of the second server, I would personally like to see a bit of Hydro, whilst it's not everyone's cup of tea, due to the stalemates, I think that the stalemates could be reducing by adding some class limits, before you all stop reading I would like to firstly thank you for reading this far, and secondly explain why I think that class limits should be added for this map.

The class limits that I would propose would go something like this:

2 scouts
    2 soldiers
    2 pyros
    2 demomen
    2 heavies
    2 engineers
    3 medics
    2 snipers
    2 spies

My reasoning being that with these class limits there wouldn't be a class that only had one slot, this is so that the person who is playing the class wouldn't feel pressured into giving it up because another person was doing badly.

The next reason why there are two of all classes but medic is so that when the 12th person oins they don't have the be the class that no one else wants to be, there is a certain element of choice involved, although they might not get to play their favourite calss at first, they won't be limited to playing 1 class.

You may be wondering why have class limits at all? Let me take you to dustbowl stage two, you rolled the defending team on the first stage and it looks like it's going to happen again, in response to you capping the first point the Red team have now got three or four engineers and the same number of heavies and/or demomen. This game is now over effectively, there is no way in which you can push through all of the spam from the demomen and heavies and take down the four sentries on the point.

If you look at the way that Team Fortress 2 is created, it is created to be a fast paced FPS, the spawn times and critical hits are two good examples of this, lets start with spawn times, on an attack defence map such as gravelpit, the defences spawn times are longer than the attacks. This is in an attempt to reduce the amount of stalemates and to speed up the round times. To sum it up it favours the winners. On a CP map, as you take the enemies control points you are granted forward respawns; the attacker is given an advantage.

Continuing on, as the attacker is given the advantage it is logical to assume that he will be dealing more damage to the enemy, as a result they have a higher chance to crit, this furthers the attackers advantage.

I seem to have rambled a bit, but I hope you get my point.

Last edited by [FBP] Adam; 01-29-2011 at 10:56 PM.
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 06-26-2011, 11:42 PM

if there were ever an ideal time for it... (what happened to this plan?)
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 09-05-2011, 08:00 PM

Hey guys, new to the forum but the PCG TF2 server has been one of my regular stops for a while now. I could have sworn I had registered to this place years ago but nevermind.

Anyway, seeing as the server is always pretty packed out I figured we might be able to help each other a bit. Preys World (a PCGF offshoot from about ten years ago, nobody has probably heard of it anymore but we're still going strong) has just launched a new TF2 server to bolster the community but we're having trouble filling it out. It's a bit of a catch 22 really, people see an empty server and wont join it so nobody ever joins to fill the place out. It's running stock old and new, CP and PL maps at the moment but the rotation stands to change based on what people want. Team scramble and map nominations are also working through SourceMod.

I don't want it to seem like we're trying to steal members away to our forum but if any of you ever see the PCG server is full then don't hesitate to join ours. One of the reasons I rented a server for us in the first place was down to the fact that my other regulars always seem to be full and I can't stand the really modded out places. I'd personally be really grateful if any of you joined and made the place a regular stop, it's infuriating when you rent a server and the place is dead for 18 hours of the day. At the minute we only seem to be able to get 16 or so people on at about 8-11 each night.

The IP is 217.163.31.166:27015
    Cheers