Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-06-2010, 05:54 AM

Default One Night (Indie Horror Game)

Hey everyone! I thought I'd just post one of my indie games up here for people to play and critique if they want.

Overview

One Night is an indie survival horror game created by Dark Gaia with RPG Maker VX. It was first released on January 2nd, 2009, and since then has garnered favorable reviews and has even spawned a Youtube Let's Play. It also holds the very dubious honor of being the first ever survival horror game developed with RPG Maker VX.

Note: Please ignore all of the spelling discrepancies and grammatical errors in the game's writing. There aren't many, but due to this being worked on more than a year ago, the writing ability I showcase within it is nothing compared to what I can do today.

Story

The Complex... At one point, it was obviously some sort of bustling, busy epicentre of human activity, the nerve center of all sorts of scientific endevours and the military stronghold of an entire armed force. This can be evidenced by the sheer complexity of the place...
    Buildings sprawling over each other, subterranian levels, airfields, hangars, vast underground laboratories...
    But then again, if it ever was those things, it surely isn't now. Something happened there long ago, and now The Complex is abandoned, crumbling, and eerily silent, it's inhabitants seemingly vanished into nothing in the blink of an eye.
    It seems like The Complex is just... no longer there. It's never been heard from since that day when... whatever went wrong went wrong, and nobody who has set out looking for it has ever returned. No maps seem to mark it's location anymore, and not even GPS surveilance can sight anything in the endless expanse of forest it once called it's home.
    Some have even gone so far as saying the place doesn't exist.
    There's some sort of secret behind that place... And what happened there. The Complex holds many such surprises, and a treasure trove of mysteries too. But it also holds a strangling atmosphere of terror, and a horrific fate which has changed it into a world of dread and danger.

You have just opened your eyes from a long period of unconsciousness, finding yourself sprawled on the cracked stone floor of one of The Complex's many abandoned rooms. Remembering only your name, you must now set out into the darkness that has infested this place, and discover who you are, why you are there, and what terrible catastrophy turned the once bustling Complex into what you are about to experience.

Game Features

> Scary atmosphere and locations, with eerie audio and dark lighting effects to set a frightening mood.

> Relentless enemies which will hunt you endlessly, and which you cannot defeat!

> Mysterious story filled with puzzles and secrets to discover.

Screenshots

Download

You can download One Night from here: [url]http://rpgmaker.net/games/926/downloads/2027/[/url]

Mirror: [url]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VLHS8K9X[/url]

http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthr...=6872#post6872*Complete Survival Horror Game!*

Last edited by Dark Gaia; 12-19-2010 at 09:20 AM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 AM

I'll give it a try. I hope no one screams spam at you, because I like being introduced to indie games I may have missed out on and a PC Gamer forum is a good place to do that.

Maybe we should have a sticky thread for linking to projects or games though.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-06-2010, 07:06 AM

Hi! I'm very glad to see you taking an interest in the game. Since I have no dev site of my own, the main way I expose the game is by posting it on various forums of sites I've signed up to/magazines I read and so far (since the game's release in December 2008) most people have been rather welcoming of it. Of course, I do occasionally get spam and flames but I tend to ignore these.

The game comes with a strategy guide but if you get stuck even with that, feel free to contact me. The game is rather similar to the early Resident Evil games if you're looking for what to expect from it.

P.S A sticky thread is a good idea. I didn't see one so I made this thread but if I'm pointed to one I'll be glad to just post there in the future.

http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthr...=6872#post6872*Complete Survival Horror Game!*
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 AM

The way the game feels reminds of a flash game called "Neverending Light".

I might try it out, it looks nice.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-06-2010, 08:12 AM

Hmm... I've never heard of that one, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for showing an interest in One Night!

#6   Report Post  
    Old 07-30-2010, 07:57 PM

I'll give it a go. Always looking for something different.

<Intel i7 920DO @ 3.6> <EVGA X58 SLI LE> <EVGA GTX275 896 SC> <x3 2GB Corsair DDR3 1600> <x2 WD 7200rpm 500GB HDD> <CM 690 case> <Corsair TX850W> <Acer X233H 23" monitor> <Ideazon Merc Stealth KB> <Logitech G9 mouse>
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 07-30-2010, 11:34 PM

Unhappy

Tried to d/l the game, neither link works.

<Intel i7 920DO @ 3.6> <EVGA X58 SLI LE> <EVGA GTX275 896 SC> <x3 2GB Corsair DDR3 1600> <x2 WD 7200rpm 500GB HDD> <CM 690 case> <Corsair TX850W> <Acer X233H 23" monitor> <Ideazon Merc Stealth KB> <Logitech G9 mouse>
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 08-05-2010, 07:57 AM

Cirius is sad. He was promised an indie survival horror with pretty graphics that looked very interesting. Instead he finds only broken download links.

Cirius is in fact so sad that he has found himself involuntarily in the third person.

#9   Report Post  
    Old 08-15-2010, 03:56 AM

Hi everyone! Sorry for the inactivity (I've been busy with exam preparation) but I have now fixed the links, which are working fine! Please forgive me for the inconvenience!

#10   Report Post  
    Old 08-15-2010, 08:50 AM

Cirius can now start talking in the first person again.

Just as a heads up, the download left me with a '.download' file, which windows took one look at and said 'wtf?' I took a shot in the dark, and renamed it '.zip', which as luck would have it gave me access to the game. Might just be me who has that problem, but just so everyone knows.

Ok, now I understand that you're riffing off the RPG theme, but for the love of Zeus was a console name entry screen necessary? I have a keyboard for a reason you know. Given that all I could see on screen was 'What is your name?' and what looked like a cursor, I tried about four times to type it in before realizing I couldn't.

Sorry, but you've managed to find one of my pet hates in the space of five seconds.

Moving on, with name successfully entered and on a more positive note, I think you've managed to hit the 'early resident evil' nail right on the head. It's atmospheric, sinister, and includes a lot of wandering round being spooked by things. The music selection is very suitable, and both audio and lighting fit perfectly.

As you noted, there are a few spelling inconsistencies dotted here and there, but it's nothing too noticeable. Overall the quality of the writing is excellent, and fits the atmosphere. The logic combination puzzles did require a little suspension of disbelief, but they fit the RE vibe, so didn't annoy too much.

What I thought was an odd move was the way the game solved puzzles for you. I grabbed the pickaxe, and was all set to solve my first puzzle when suddenly...

Use Pickaxe on Door.

I thought I was supposed to solve a puzzle here? Instead the game solved it for me, which I found a little surprising.

Personally, I would have toned down the speed of the enemies slightly. They weren't too fast, just faster than I expected. I guess I watch too many Romero films.

I haven't had time to sit down and play through the whole thing just yet, but I am enjoying the experience so far. Is this your first completed game? If so, then full respect is thrown in your direction.

In summary, it's an sinister atmospheric romp through a bunch of puzzles. Well worth the minute download time.

Tags

adventure, creepy, freeware, horror, indie