Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer

#31   Report Post  
    Old 07-09-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pod View Post
    It's slightly different with Eve Uni. They're a bit more controlling -- i.e., you're forced to stay in station during a war, to be ready at all times. It's a bit boring, a real soul killer. I understand why they do it, and even think it's a good idea, but it kinda sucks

Also, EUNI tries to stay out of wars, whereas dreddit are nutters and try to start them
    Yes, good points - I didn't consider that. During war times, the patented uni-blob does make a few appearances through the day. If targets don't show themselves then we used to roam around losec, even taking out carriers in the past

Having said that, my current corp is a lot more fun
      #32   Report Post  
    Old 07-09-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenbeermonkey View Post
    Does EVE have a monthly sub payable? I may look to pick this up from Steam if it's available as an alternative.
    Yeah, monthly sub. It was has the fantstic idea of "PLEX". It's gametime you can buy with in-game money. You can also optionally buy one with real life money, and sell it on the market to other players. So people with lots of money and no time can pay their monthly sub like usually, and optionally buy some PLEX from ccp, and sell it to the people who do nothing but Eve all day. It gets them lots of ingame currency at the current going rate (which is very stable and high, 250m last time I played?). Or if you're a uni student or something you can just mine 24/7 to earn enough cash to pay for your month for FREEEE. No need for a monthly sub if you can keep it up.

I think it's a great idea I never used it myself though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bimble View Post
    Top Tip: Skills are trained in real time even when you are offline and there are skills to increase the speed of training so those are a priority at first. Below is the most efficient order of training these skills. This is from 2 years ago but I'm pretty sure they have not changed this mechanic, I do know they increased training speed up to 1.6 million skill points to kick start new joiners. They also have a skill queue up to 24 hours so you know don't have to be online to start a new skill.
    Don't take this guys word for it; do it your self! Get a copy of [url=http://evemon.battleclinic.com/]evemon[/url], pick a skill or a ship you like the look of and have EveMon auto-plot you a skill queue that's the most efficient. You can jiggle it around as well to suit your current needs. It's usually a good idea to do the 'learning' skills asap (evemon will plot them for you really), as they improve the speed at which you learn.
      #33   Report Post  
    Old 07-10-2010, 12:45 AM

Careful you don't overload on learning skills though. If you are just starting out in the game, mix them up with some of the more "fun" skills and try things out. You will just burn yourself out otherwise
      #34   Report Post  
    Old 07-10-2010, 01:35 AM

Yeah, optimal learning skills are nice in theory if you're prepared to pay for a game for 2 months before actually being able to play it, but that's not much fun.
      #35   Report Post  
    Old 07-10-2010, 11:12 AM

Yep, EVEMON seems to be ideal for planning. I have just created a second account to play around with the start up process. I love the way you can now queue up skills, that is great.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #36   Report Post  
    Old 07-10-2010, 12:53 PM

After creating a Plan in EveMon, eg I went for a Mining Barge on my new account. It loads the skills BUT you need to click "Suggestion" which is right at the bottom of the page and it will add the relevant training skills. Took me awhile to work this out

#37   Report Post  
    Old 07-10-2010, 11:23 PM

Eve uni is one of the best corps around for new players, but wars can be tiring. The trouble is, everyone who declares war on the uni does so with the sole intention of hunting down lone newbies out mining or whatever, and blowing them up before they've even had time to ask why that guy in their overview is flashy red. Unfortunately, past experience has shown that this tends to be pretty successful, unless the uni bans all missioning/mining/etc during wartime - which means fighting, or sitting in a station doing nothing for the duration.

On the plus side, however, it is a great opportunity to get some experience with large scale fleet warfare, since anyone can form up a fleet and take it out hunting. Admittedly, the uni so massively outnumbers their opponents, that actual fights are something of a rarity (they usually just run and hide), it is useful training for how most alliances manage their fleets - and great for learning how to command them. One of my best memories of the game is when I'd been playing for about a month, and I was commanding a 70-man fleet - we managed to trap, and subsequently destroy, an enemy Armageddon.

The uni is also excellent for everything outside PVP - good enough that even if you hate the wars, peacetime more than makes up for it (at least for new players - when you get the hang of the game, it becomes less useful).

Anyway, a PCG corp sounds like an excellent idea. Let me know if you want any help getting it set up. My main is currently in the RPS corp out in 0.0, but I have an alt I play quite a lot which I'd love to join with.
      #38   Report Post  
    Old 07-10-2010, 11:28 PM

0.0 is definitely the place to be. If a PCG corp gets made, get into one of the Northern Coalition alliances and that way I won't have to pop your ships on sight :P
      #39   Report Post  
    Old 07-10-2010, 11:57 PM

Or head off to NPC 0.0 (such as Syndicate) and go it alone. That's what we're doing atm, and it seems to be working quite well, though I'll admit I'm far from an expert on nullsec - this is the first time I've been to 0.0 since the days of BRUCE, so I have no clue about what's going on out here :P
      #40   Report Post  
    Old 07-11-2010, 11:05 AM

This game is brutal, I just got "can flipped" by someone in a Hulk and I made the mistake of going to get my Hoarder to recover MY ore and BHAM... floating in space and kicking myself. Why the hell someone with a Hulk is mining in 0.9 space just 5 jumps from the training system.

Oh... and learning Planetary Interaction makes my head hurt! I spent about 400K and ended up with 100 bacteria worth about 20K. Making ISK is hard at first