Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

Closed Thread

#1   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Default Steam - Missing out??

my friend and i were talking about steam afew days ago as he said theres not really THAT many decent games on there. He said theres afew good games but if you actually look through the makers section at the bottom you find alot of the games are crap like indi games which sell real poorly because there just like old mobile phone games (IE snake etc)

We then both realised alot of games which were ment to be ONLINE and MULTIPLAYER were never really online because the makers kinda screwed up. What i mean by this is alot of decent games out there which were ment to be multiplayer games and which could be just seen to be being ignored

Example
    Resident Evil Outbreak 1+2
    these 2 games were ment to be Multiplayer yet wierdly the game was only released on the ps2 and you HAD to have one of those adaptors for the ps2 for it to even work! then it got worse because Capcom PURPOSLY made it so you could only ever really play the game online because they made the AI so piss poor that the characters would just wonder off or just stand still and let a zombie kill them.

Considering Capcom closed down the REOutbreak servers for the ps2 and seeing as how capcom are on steam i dont see any reason why they dont port it over to the pc and make it a proper multiplayer game for once.

Another example
    Phantasy Star Online
    i liked this game on the dreamcast console, sadly didnt get it to work online.... then went to the original xbox and didnt sell that well wierdly. Seeing as how sega are on steam and i think Phantasy star was ported to the pc (i THINK) i dont see why they dont add it on steam and make some money for a change seeing as how these days Sega usually = making a loss profit wise

there was afew others my friend mentioned but realistically i dont see why these types of games dont get put up on steam and get given the chance to be what they were really ment to be in the first place
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 PM

Phantasy Star Universe was indeed released on the PS2 & PC. However the servers closed a while ago from a lack of interest in the game.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2010, 12:23 PM

I think there is a large untapped market for selling legally emulated games on the PC but companies are largely ignoring it. In general companies don't want the small money, they want the big bucks.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2010, 01:23 PM

>indie games
    >crap

nooooooooo sir, no
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2010, 01:29 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
    I think there is a large untapped market for selling legally emulated games on the PC but companies are largely ignoring it. In general companies don't want the small money, they want the big bucks.
    Dunno about untapped - Steam does have those Sega collections on there.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2010, 03:44 PM

I must be missing your point about the old PS2 games, a demo for Phantasy Star was avail;able on the xbox and I tried it out and thought it was crap.

Steam has tons of great games on it. I'm dissapointed when they don't have something I'd like (mostly old stuff) but that is improving over time as rights holders realize they can make some money on 10 year old games if they put a little effort into making them run. GOG and the like are also doing this but anyway.

The only real downside to Steam at this point is jumping through hoops for some older games to use Mods with, new games seems designed to work smoothly with it but games like Medieval 2 Total War are clunky.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2010, 03:58 PM

Phantasy Star Online! It was a good game on console and emulators but it played like **** on the official PC release with horrendous control. Vindictus is the true PC online version of PSO; that game is so fun. XD

Furthermore, a lot of console games already have their online (well-made) counterpart on the PC, just in different brand names. For example, L4D series for multilayer Resident Evil, and countless better MMO than Final Fantasy XI & XIV. So technically, we AREN'T missing out, we're playing the better versions of these games already.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackRambo View Post
    my friend and i were talking about steam afew days ago as he said theres not really THAT many decent games on there. He said theres afew good games but if you actually look through the makers section at the bottom you find alot of the games are crap like indi games which sell real poorly because there just like old mobile phone games (IE snake etc)

Another example
    Phantasy Star Online
    i liked this game on the dreamcast console, sadly didnt get it to work online.... then went to the original xbox and didnt sell that well wierdly. Seeing as how sega are on steam and i think Phantasy star was ported to the pc (i THINK) i dont see why they dont add it on steam and make some money for a change seeing as how these days Sega usually = making a loss profit wise

there was afew others my friend mentioned but realistically i dont see why these types of games dont get put up on steam and get given the chance to be what they were really ment to be in the first place
    There's so many things wrong with this post. Firstly, Steam has loads of games and a lot of games that get released generally get released on Steam. Secondly, indie games are not crappy mobile phone games. Lastly, as people have pointed out, PSO was on the PC (I was in the beta) but games have progressed so much these days that an ancient relic like PSO is just garbage now. As someone also pointed out, it died due to lack of interest.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2010, 04:15 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Your friend is a console gamer I take it?

*runs*
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The_B View Post
    Dunno about untapped - Steam does have those Sega collections on there.
    Most of them are crap though.

I bet if someone like Capcom started a "Capcom Classics" line on Steam, GOG or a similar site and sold emulated classics like Megaman, Resident Evil, Street Fighter and the rest of them... from the NES all the way to the PS2... they would get a lot of attention from it.

It would be small money though, like $50,000 profit here and there. That's why they don't do it I imagine, the payoff is not worth the investment.
    Closed Thread