Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 12-09-2010, 11:15 AM

Default Healing in Cataclysm - a note for everyone

So, I've now healed through every instance as well as one heroic, and I have to say that I'm enjoying the massive overhaul that healing has received.

For the last year, I've been basically able to spam quick, poweful heals to keep a raid alive. Now, if I try to do that, I run out of mana in about ten seconds. Each cast of Flash Heal, my previous go-to spell, now costs over 5% of my mana pool.

Here's how I'm handling healing:

Instead of simply watching everyone's health, you now need to watch the rate at which they're losing health. Use your most effecient heal as default, and only switch to a painfull expensive quick or powerful heal if someone's in danger of dying (usually the tank). Every single cast counts, and overhealing is very, very bad.

Take LOTS of drinks; on the harder instances and heroics, you'll be drinking after every big pull and boss. As an aside; DPS and Tanks MUST bring a stock of food, and eat between packs. It's no good standing around watching your healer drink up, only for him to have to waste 25% of his mana then healing you all to full. I will not be healing anyone in between fights, and I would urge every other healer to take a similar approach, until everyone takes more responsibility for their own health pools.

The limiting factor on most fights, at the moment, is the mana pool of your healer. All of us have the tools to keep everyone alive through the damage that I've seen. People are only dying because I cannot use the right spell to heal them, because of its mana cost.

Last night, my group failed on the 3rd and 4th bosses in heroic BRC because I could not keep them alive without going OOM, which is really an issue of gear (not just healer gear, but everyone else, primarily tank). If the tank has better gear, he takes less damage, and if the DPS have better gear, the fight is shorter.

I hear that priests are the least efficient healing class at the moment, so maybe healing isn't as hard as I'm making it out to be. But, from my experience so far, Healing in Cata is harder and far more selective than before, and therefore more enjoyable.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 12-09-2010, 02:51 PM

Ttime for me to read up on how druids will be affected when i get to 85 methinks.

Running out of mana sounds terrifying!

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 12-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Good advice Darieth. En route to 85 I found healing horrible, constantly going oom in the middle of fights. Probably partly down to gear, but mostly play style - healing as you did in WotLK isn't going to work. As Darieth says, nothing was more annoying than drinking after a big fight, healing everyone up and then the tank pulling next pack not realising you were already out of mana again!
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 PM

I dont know about you but even with a masive increase to sp I am not haeling for any more than I used to. Wiith this my heals are ineffective There is no way I can keep anyone up if they are underattack even when spam healing. And before you say it I do know how to heal on a druid . I have been for 3 years (even at low gear lvls I have been able to keep groups alive)
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 12-09-2010, 10:06 PM

Yeah i have noticed same watching scrolling text on another note if there is a class that can decurse or cleanse self they should as it burn the healers mana when they could be healing tank or dps.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 12-09-2010, 10:58 PM

An excellent point there, Doom; any class that can dispel, decurse etc. MUST get an appropriate addon; as we venture into harder heroics and raids, you WILL be expected to help out as much as possible.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 12-09-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vipera View Post
    I dont know about you but even with a masive increase to sp I am not haeling for any more than I used to. Wiith this my heals are ineffective There is no way I can keep anyone up if they are underattack even when spam healing. And before you say it I do know how to heal on a druid . I have been for 3 years (even at low gear lvls I have been able to keep groups alive)
    Well, I'm up from 3k to 5k spellpower, but massively down on crit and haste. So, my bonus healing should have gone up by about 60%. Unfortunately, my spells now heal for about 40% more because of lower coefficients. They cost about 500% as much mana as before. And the health pools for everyone have gone up by over 100%.

In short; our spells heal less (proportionate to health) and cost more. It's making healing harder, and far more interesting IMHO, but it's something everyone else will need to get used to again.

*UPDATE* Did a couple of instances today as Holy instead of Disco. Its hard to compare properly, because I also bought some upgrades from the faction vendors beforehand, but mana seemed better. It could be that disco isn't as viable at the very low end of the gear scale, or it could be that I'm doing it wrong.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 12-09-2010, 11:34 PM

these changes make healing sound fun, might have to start a healer alt, once I get my DK and hunter up.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 12-10-2010, 09:12 PM

Healing fun i'm sorry but the system is not balanced it's broken ok i lost a bit of crit but still not doing too bad.
    Just why no increase the power of the spells to off set the damage now its far too uneven.

The gear isnt bad what you pick up from factions but also lack of justice point means top gear is hard to get.They really going to have to look at things closer as healers really have got the short end of the stick, iwould have rather stayed in wrath if i knew how bad things are.Dps you are so lucky .
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 12-10-2010, 11:04 PM

A few wipes in Lost City hc tonight, and I've changed my spell casts to become more efficient, so there's still some learning to be done.

Healing is much harder now than it was before, but that's part of the fun! Everyone else needs to realise, however, that we simply cannot afford (at least at this stage) to heal avoidable raid damage; need everyone to look after their own HP as if their lives depended on it :-p