Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games > PC Gamer Game Club

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2010, 04:01 PM

Default Week 12: Torchlight

-
    -

[CENTER][SIZE="6"]PC GAMER GAME CLUB[/SIZE][/center]

What is the PC Gamer Club?

The PC Gamer Club (PCGC for short) is where the great minds of the internets come together to talk about the game of the week.

How does the club work?

Each week a winner of the previous week's poll is chosen to take center stage in our discussion. Members have one week prior to the start of the current week's club to get a hold of the game, be it digital download, physical retailers, garage sales, or even those old floppies lying around since 1992. Throughout the week, members will play the game and give their feedback on what worked, what didn't, and how it stands up to today's standards. The week will officially start on Mondays, and run until the following Sunday.

How can I join?

The requirements of joining the PCGC are easy.

1. you must have a registered account in good standings at pcgamer.com.

2. you must own, rent, or borrow a copy of the game. That's it.

Do I have to participate every week?

Absolutely not. Come and go as you please.

Are there any costs?

Joining the club is 100% free. The only fee you may or may not be subject to is the cost of the game.

How much will the games cost?

We will hold costs down to $10 or less per week, barring any exceptions.

Where can I buy the games?

Each week a post with a link to a current e-tailer will be provided along with the game title. You're also encouraged to search ebay, craigslist, and other listings to find the best prices.

My PC is outdated by today's standards, will I be able to participate?

Absolutely. Most of the games we will be focusing on are categorized as "classic" titles. The hardware requirements will be kept to a minimum to ensure everyone gets a chance to participate.

Can we mod the game to our taste?

Well, it's your game, we can't tell you how to play it. However, you should keep in mind that the focus of conversation will be on based on the developer's original vision of the game. Mods often take away game mechanics that, no matter how trifle or trivial they may seem, are part of the original design. It makes for better conversation if you can adequately explain why a certain game feature distracted you from enjoying the game then patching it with a mod.

Will there be spoilers?

Absolutely. People play at their own pace, and because of that we have to disallow a ban on spoilers. To ban spoilers would handcuff the conversation until everyone catches up. It's a weekly affair, so for the sake of pace, we must keep the conversation flowing. Unfortunately, that means spoiling some key plots in games.

Can I take screenshots and post them in the conversation?

Absolutely, but try to keep them to a maximum of 1280x1024, so a) it doesn't warp the board, and b) people on dial-up (yes they do exist) can participate. Photobucket auto-resizes images to a max of 1280x1024, so uploading there is a safe bet.

I have a game I think everyone will love, how can I nominate it?

Games should be nominated in the PCGC weekly nomination thread. This thread, and all concurrent weekly game threads should contain only information relevant to the game that's in discussion.

Can I nominate console games?

Sorry, no. For obvious reasons.

What is the best way to participate?

The best way to participate is by following these basic and simple guidelines:

[INDENT][LIST][*]Be thorough. That doesn't mean you have to write a book (although if you want to go ahead). Try to make arguments that are clear and easy to understand by everyone. If a game sucks, don't just say it sucks, tell us why you think it sucks. Was it the game or was it one mechanic that threw you off? What could they have done to improve the game?

[*]Be respectful. Opinions are just that: opinions. They are subjective to the player, and so to argue your opinion is better or worse than another persons is as pointless as arguing if a cup is half full or half empty.

[*]Be vocal. Ask other members about their experiences and compare them to yours. Then debate them on theirs.
    [/LIST][/INDENT]

And last, but not least, HAVE FUN!

[SIZE="5"][CENTER]THIS WEEKS GAME: Torchlight[/CENTER][/SIZE]

[CENTER][/CENTER]

GENRE: Action RPG

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

Processor: x86-compatible 800MHz processor
    Memory: 512MB
    Graphics: DirectX-compatible 3D graphics with at least 64MB of addressable memory (such as an ATI Radeon 7200, NVIDIA GeForce 2, or Intel GMA 950)
    DirectXģ: 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 400MB

SYNOPSIS: (from wikipedia)
    Torchlight is an action role-playing game developed by Runic Games and published by Perfect World, released for Windows in October 2009. The fantasy-themed game is set in the fictional town of Torchlight and the expansive caverns and dungeons nearby, which adventurers explore to collect valuable loot and battle hordes of monsters. Following the October 2009 digital distribution release, a Windows retail box version was released in the U.S. in January 2010 by Encore, Inc, and JoWood Entertainment published a retail box in Europe in April 2010. A port for Mac OS X was developed by World Domination Industries and released through Steam on May 12, 2010.
    Development of the game is led by Travis Baldree, designer of Fate, and Max Schaefer and Erich Schaefer, co-designers of Diablo and Diablo II, joined by the team that developed Mythos.

PRICE:$19.99 (Steam)

STEAM LINK: [url]http://store.steampowered.com/app/41500/[/url]
    GOG LINK: N/A

Last edited by Spank n Uranus; 11-30-2010 at 01:20 AM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2010, 05:21 PM

I installed a texture and classes mod, so now I'm running an Assassin (dual handguns, yeah!) along with the Valkyrie set, so I look like a green one-eyed robot with a winged demon for a pet following me around.

Still collecting the Valkyrie set, though... just gambling away all my gold on it.

PC Gamer Game Club
    Game of the Week - Amnesia: The Dark Descent
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2010, 10:06 PM

This is without a doubt the best indie game I've ever played. I got it for $10 when it was on sale a long time ago, and it's probably my second favorite RPG (behind KOTOR, buy it now while it's on sale). Played it one time through regularly then on the second playthrough installed a couple mods, completely different experience. Also probably the second best value I've had on a game (second to TF2 ).
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2010, 10:36 PM

I'm going to do what I proposed. Going to play one class on very hard and hardcore and see what happens.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2010, 12:30 AM

If anyone doesn't have this game yet ( they absolutely should!) it's on sale for $5 on D2D.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2010, 01:21 AM

Thread updated with the correct layout finally.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2010, 04:39 PM

I suggest to everyone to get Torchleech and install the one that stops enchantments from failing (sorry, I forgot the name ), this means you can make a really epic weapon really early on

Habe ich eine braucht kondom gegessen.
    Best you don't ask.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2010, 12:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to P3RF3CT D3ATH

Is next week Red Orchestra because that tied with Torchlight in the polls?

Iím all for cover systems. Just this morning in a store I hid the last copy of The Witcher behind Borderlands and Modern Warfare 2 so that I could come back and buy it later. - Spacewalk
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by P3RF3CT D3ATH View Post
    Is next week Red Orchestra because that tied with Torchlight in the polls?
    I hope so.

Habe ich eine braucht kondom gegessen.
    Best you don't ask.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2010, 11:06 PM

I've played this for around an hour at a time because it gets very repetitive for me and I think honestly that's mostly because the game is single player. I never played Diablo 2 single player because it just wasn't the same. having the interaction from players and the several different characters working together made the game more interactive, fun, exciting. I've played down to dungeon 26, so I think I've spent a decent amount of time to have gotten a feel for the game. Does anyone else feel the same or do you do something more than going from dungeon to dungeon?