Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#11   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2010, 09:41 AM

I'm the other Priest with both healing specs still, and will be tackling Arthas hc as disco tonight. But how do Blizz address the problem of designing encounters where disco priests can be very effective, whilst at the same time making it not essential to bring a disco priest along?
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darieth View Post
    I'm the other Priest with both healing specs still, and will be tackling Arthas hc as disco tonight. But how do Blizz address the problem of designing encounters where disco priests can be very effective, whilst at the same time making it not essential to bring a disco priest along?
    This is the root of the problem. Damage prevention is ultimately better than healing. If disc priests are able to spam massive shields on everyone, then encounters are rendered too easy.

I suppose careful balancing is the best solution, although I imagine this is a total nightmare for the designers.

The designer's lives would probably have been easier if they never bothered with disc priests in the first place. However, as paladins are now getting more damage mitigation abilities in Cata, I don't see the problem going away any time soon.

Disc priests have a clear advantage in many situations. If AoE healing continues to be nerfed we may see the disc niche may become more useful once again.
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spectrus View Post
    In terms of spot healing, as far as I am aware, nobody is using the cheap long cast heals that blizzard wanted them to. Quick spot heals like Flash Heal still seem dominant, as it is risky to wait for cheap 2 second casts.

It would be interesting to know if others have different experiences.
    From the videos I have seen of Paragon, their Holy Paladin is topping the healing meters using his AoE heals to heal through raid damage, but mostly Holy light - his long cast efficient heal. He is never running out of mana using it and people don't seem to be dying.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2010, 08:47 PM

The problem with disco priests is how do you balance them so they are good but they don't negate damage to the point of being essential (i blame bad spelling on head injury)
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 AM

As a Disco Priest I love the changes and the thought of raiding in Cata.

Loving the new Smite mechanic, and with the right tinkering my Sheild is not that much different to pre-patch.
    I do think that any raid benefits from having a Disco priest, even after the patch and for the forth coming new raids, I have found myself using more multiple heals in raids but I dont mind this, better to be actually healing then spamming PWS.
    I see Disco as a tank healer in cata, 5 mans will be .....interesting, but with every change comes the possibility to learn new things.
    My only complaint of the new changes is the GCD on PWS, it is not constant and can change throughout a raid/boss/mob.

Therefore I refute Darieths biased opinion (Hes Holy at heart and we know it) and look forward to proving Disco is the way forward in cata.

Wyrmy
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wyrmy View Post
    Loving the new Smite mechanic
    It doesn't seem awkward that Archangel doesn't buff PW:S? The only way I've found to maximise the Archanel benefit is to pop it and then massively overheal everyone when I'm expecting incoming damage, thus stacking plenty of Divine Aegis on them. This will definitely be unfeisable in Cata.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2010, 04:11 PM

I healed an alliance city raid on Tyrande Whisperwind today on my 85 Paladin. Wasn't too bad though Starfall at 85 HURTS.

I found that I was using my AoE heals when she used starfall, then mainly using my basic, efficient heal most of the time, with occasional use of Flash of Light if someone was getting pounded by an enemy player

Was good fun
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darieth View Post
    It doesn't seem awkward that Archangel doesn't buff PW:S? The only way I've found to maximise the Archanel benefit is to pop it and then massively overheal everyone when I'm expecting incoming damage, thus stacking plenty of Divine Aegis on them. This will definitely be unfeisable in Cata.
    It used to buff holy damage as well, but they changed it to shadow only when they added Dark Archangel.

I think it was orignally concieved as a pvp talent - burst damage and mana regen.

It is certainly less useful for disc now. However, it is still early days and I reckon the change to Prayer of Healing more than compensates.

With a rotation like, shield, prayer of healing, shield, prayer of healing, you can potentialy put out some good numbers. Obviously, Archangel will give you a decentish buff to PoH, plus some nice mana back.