Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2010, 04:37 PM

Default Rogue DPS in low level 5 mans

Hey all,

before Cata I might be putting a bit of time in learning how to play rogue (lvl 46) - now Ive been in a few 5 mans, as I got the levels from when I RAFed a few pairs of characters (cheap, I know) and my DPS is "OK" as it were, but I think it could be better - Im using subtelty spec.

The main problem (and I know this doesn't seem like a problem) but the trash mobs tend to die before I can ramp up anything substantial DPS wise, the secondary problem is lack of energy and rotation:

I can't figure out if Im supposed to:

1. Open with bleed combos (Garrotte, Hemo, Rupture) then spam Hemo and Eviscerate.
    2. As above, except using backstab in place of hemo.
    3. As 1 & 2, except Open with Premed/Ambush/Evis

Or maybe something completely different?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2010, 05:01 PM

Out of all three specs the rogue has, subtlety needs the longest to ramp up a proper rotation. In 5 mans it's impossible to get any sort of rotation going. So with trash don't try to get any rotation, just open with ambush or garrotte, use Slice and Dice and then spam Fan of Knives.

As for bosses, well if you're hellbent on using subtlety which is a pretty crappy spec both for levelling and raiding then keep Hemorrhage up aswell as Slice and Dice and Recuperate. Use backstab to get combo points and spam Eviscerates to roll Rupture.

Basically there are no real proper rotations for two reasons. There are so many finishers and things to keep up that it's just chaos, and not enough people are playing it to get any great idea on what to do.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2010, 06:34 PM

Personally I found the easiest way to handle low level 5 mans is to go combat and spam sinister strike and eviscerate while using glyphed blade flurry as often as possible. That's about as close as I could get to aoeing, considering single target dpsing isn't really that important until you hit the bosses in late outland instances if you stick to 5 mans. Slice and dice was debatable as to keep it stacked you are probably going to be using all your combo points on it at low level. This means you need to be constantly hitting something, or most of S&D will be wasted in time travelling between packs.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2010, 06:40 PM

Rogue auto attacks count for a huge amount of their overall dps, if you drop Slice & Dice you're going to be losing a ton of that damage. Sure if there are 4-5 mobs and you don't have time to open with anything, spamming FoK will be better but dropping S&D even with trash is going to nerf your dps.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2010, 06:53 PM

FoK is really high level, that's out the window. My issue I've had with S&D has been that the vast majority of it is wasted since in the time it takes to get S&D up the mobs are almost dead. Unless you are using 1 combo S&D's i spose.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2010, 07:01 PM

Well you should be opening into every trash pack from stealth which will generate at least one combo point and then you go straight into S&D from that. A one combo point S&D lasts I think 6 seconds, that should be enough to take down a large group of trash. 40% increase to melee is huge and it's much more important getting that up than any other thing you can open with, especially if you consider things like Combat Potency will trigger more often from it.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2010, 12:52 AM

Well I chose subtlety because (and you're gonna hate me for saying this) it's "roguey" - If I want to play with swords I'll play fury warrior (which I do....so...OK :P )

Im a big fan of ambush and I can see that actually Garrotte and Rupture are never gonna have time to run their course on trash mobs, so Im gonna just stick to ambush opening - however I can SnD with about 4 points (2 from Premeditation and 2 from Ambush) so that should help, plus Ive just gained an extra talent to make recuperate restore energy as well.

Essentially it would appear Im fretting over nothing