Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Tradeskills

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2010, 03:42 AM
    Insane Moderator

Default Rogue profession's- Should I change?

Greetings all,

I have been searching around for about a week now on various sites but I am still confused.

I have engineering and mining. These have served me well and engineering is such a god send, that I doubt I will ever get rid of it, however mining is so so. That lead me to wondering if jewelcrafting would be worth the change on my rogue, if I put mining elsewhere. Aside from the expense that such a change would make, I found really little details on how much it would actually benifit me as a rogue. Sure plenty of people say blacksmithing/jewelcrafting is an awsome combo, even leatherworking/jewelcrafting, but I am not sure about engineering/jewelcrafting.

The main reason I ask, is simply because I am getting to the stage now, where I am ready to step it up a notch. With Insane on the final straight and lots of exalted's already complete, I feel my character needs to take the next step, to get the most out of my character now, with all my other character's now in place to help Olgit, instead of Olgit, helping all my other characters. I hope that makes sense.

So to all you numbercruncher's, I need some clear advice..... Is there a real benifit to changing to jewelcrafting on my rogue, by losing the stamina from mining to gaining dps from added agility which seems less than the stamina.

I will continue to look around, but in fairness, some sites like Elitest Jerks often leave me more confused than actually helped.

Thanks in advance.

Olgit
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2010, 07:40 AM

i'd say that with the stacking options that engineering will bring it will indeed be a boon to your char if you took up j/c. the jewellers gems are just too good. i'd say its not a bad thing to do at all.

just be warned its going to be darned expensive without mining - i've just done the grind up to around 410ish on my priest with mining and it could have been quite costly had i not.

i'd defo recommend blitzing iron, mithrill (especially) thorium (again loads of this) as when you get fel iron i found it gets significantly easier. I'd also recommend [URL="http://www.wow-professions.com/wowguides/wow_jewelcrafting_leveling_guide.html"]this[/URL] as a rough estimate on mats.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2010, 08:50 AM

Best thing to do is add up the profession bonuses.
    Obviously I have no idea about rogue stat weights in Cata, but assuming Agility is the go-to stat, here are some pointers.

JC allows you to socket 3 X Delicate Chimera's Eye gems, each giving 67 Agility.

The regular non JC red agi gem grants 40 agility. So each JC gem is 27 more agi, thus the overall bonus from taking JC from a pure dps point of view is 27 X 3 = 81 agility.

You may want to consider Leatherworking. I know for rets that LW is looking like top dog dps wise, and for rogues the LW bracer enchant provides 130 agility. The other bracer enchant options for non LWers are 65 crit or 65 haste. Str for ret pallies is so ludicrously better than either that it is the obvious choice. For rogues however I have no idea - IF Agi is miles better than any other stat, the LW is probs gonna be top, if not, well you will need to spreadsheet it.

Enchanting provides 2 X ring enchants - each granting 40 agi, for a total bonus of 80 agility.

As you can see you have quite a few options, and they are all pretty similar in terms fo dps increase - 80 agi from ench Vs 81 from JC - go figure.

The real issue will be whether agi is so much better than crit or haste that the LW bracer enchant is simply BiS. I cannot answer that - you'll need to keep up to date on rogue theorycrafting to find out, and we probs won't know until Cata is out and the rogue theory bods have properly sat down and worked it out.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-13-2010, 03:48 PM

At the moment the two best profs for raiding are Engineering and Jewel Crafting. That however is pure number crunching, you have to be using your engineering skills especially the bombs perfectly in your rotation in order to get higher numbers than JC and Enchanting. That might be changing in Cata though, no one is fully sure whether or not the changes to Engineering is going to keep it as the best raiding prof. I'll be putting a profession section into my rogue guide once everyone agrees on the best choices.