Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU)

#1   Report Post  
    Old 10-29-2010, 10:32 AM

Default Beginner looking to retry WoW

Firstly, I'm extremely sorry if this is the wrong forum, this is my first post here!

I played World of Warcraft back in Vannila on the dawn of BC, and managed to get a level 66 warlock, so I've never had a chance to play any endgame content.
    Since then I've dabbled in various MMOs, sadly (and regrettably) only reaching endgame content in Runescape, but I still really enjoyed it.

Anyway onto my questions, I've heard that leveling in Wow has been made a ton easier, from level 67 how long would it take to get to 80 and if anyone knows the numbers, roughly 85?

Once I get there, what sort of disadvantage would I be in raiding if I arrived lets say 6 months late to the level cap?

Is there anyway to lower the cost of the monthly fee?

Thanks
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 10-29-2010, 11:04 AM

the more you pay in advance the less the monthly fee is.

as for disadvantage on hitting 80, you will not be geared for the majority of raids being ran so you would need to do the gear grind in heroic 5 man dungeons to gear up before being able to do the raids. but if you can find a decent group to help you farm dungeons you can probably gear up to be raid ready in a couple of days.

but joining now to raid is a bad time as most people are winding down waiting for the release of cata and the level 85 raids, so there is very little in the way of progression raids at the moment, you best bet if you do want to play is wait for cata, then get the wrath and cata expansions and get to level 85 while it's still fresh and there will be a lot more progression raiding and everyone will be starting from scratch and having to get new gear to raid in anyway.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 10-29-2010, 11:15 AM

With Cata just over a month away it may be worth waiting until its release before you come back. It takes a while to level to 80 and then gear up from dungeons etc to be raid ready and as already mentioned most of our progression teams are slowing down ready for the release of Cata.

Also - by levelling in Cata you will be joined by lots and lots of other people levelling new races and characters so there will be more correct level players around to help with group quests and such. Although, if you join PCG, there is a large base of levelling characters anyway, one of the advantages of being such a large guild.

Cata is also going to bring a lot of changes and it may be easier to simply get used to that than trying to deal with the changes since you last played now which will all be changed again in a months time.

There would be no major disadvantage to being 'late' reaching level cap and getting geared up, especially if you are thinking of joining PCG, we run many raids from beginners to 'hardcore' progression and there are no set groups for these, new players join them all of the time.

Hope that helps
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 10-31-2010, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm probably going to look to start again around june after my exams, just wondering if I played 1-2hours a day would I get any chance to raid or would I need to play for longer?

Thanks so much
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-05-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alii View Post
    just wondering if I played 1-2hours a day would I get any chance to raid or would I need to play for longer?
    I reckon if you played for around 10 hrs per week you give yourself enough time to conquer most of the hardest content - most definitely all of the easier stuff. So, you should be fine on your stated timescale.

However, if restricting yourself strictly to 1-2hrs per night, I'm not sure that would be enough in one sitting to raid properly - most [PCG] raids last between 2.5-3hrs, not as a rule, but as a guide. The calendar contains the specifics of each raid's times, but signing for a raid you can't commit to completing is a nightmare for raid leaders.