Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#21   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 08:19 AM

Power Auras is probably the best one, that lets you put a movable icon and timer on your screen - wherever you want it, which just details the ISF buff.
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 AM

I actually quite like the challenge of keeping ISF up as Destro, if they made it any easier they might aswell give you a 15% passive haste buff.

I do agree however that it should probably be placed further down the Destro tree as the other specs shouldn't have to use it to be competetive.
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 AM

Yeah it isn't too bad for destruction
    it's hideous for the other two though
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 12-16-2010, 11:59 AM

yeah the ISF buff is awesome. i do enjoy watching my timers while having to move from floor auras etc. not to bad on heroics atm, both demo/destro have strong points on fights. Desro for single nuke and demo for the mob frency fights like 1st boss' of deadmines and stonecore.

should be fun raid wise
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 12-16-2010, 10:31 PM

Thanks Cataclysmic that Power Auras is a really fantastic mod, I'm surprised I've not run into it before

I like the rotation aspect of lock play but with the ISF buff there is always a compromise between reactivating dots or getting a cooldown going but having to hard cast SF vs always casting SF in the last moments of the buff. Whilst as always in these things, one way is statistically better but I'd rather the 'right' way felt more comfortable.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, I'm just lamenting my past rotations.
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 12-18-2010, 09:53 AM

Essentially ISF is the most crucial thing to keep up - nothing else increases your DPS like 15% mroe haste. So prioritise that. When you get to about 1-2 seconds left on the timer, start casting SF - this way it is buffed by it's own cast speed increase, and the cooldown on ISF will expire while casting / while the missile is in the air. If it runs out then use Soulburn to get it up again, especially if it runs out due to you having to move - just make sure you account for the fact that SF is now instant, so if you are going to use Soulburn it will almost always be better to wait for the ISF effect to fade completely - because even the slightest bit of lag / incorrect judgement of travel time on your part will screw it, meaning you just wasted a shard.

Then once you've mastered it, respec affliction, play with ISF for 10 minutes, then throw up violently into an envelope and post it to the guy that thought balancing all three lock specs around ISF was a clever idea.
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 03-04-2011, 02:25 PM

Hello, fellow locks!

I have recently had some real trouble with DPS in raids. I seem to be hovering at the bottom of the DPS at around 10k when only a few weeks ago I was pulling 13k fairly easily. I haven't made any major changes apart from the odd gear upgrade.

My hit is really suffering (where's all the hit gear?!?) so I have had to reforge quite a bit to hit to be within the advised 1% of the hit cap. I have everything gemmed and enchanted, put dark intent on either a mage huntard or healer(depending on raid set up) and always have my imp out.

I am main spec destruction and keep any dots up and ISF up at all times (much easier since the changes).

Am I missing something blindingly obvious? I know I need to work on my gear a bit and there is a nice hit trinket from Hellscream rep which I need to work towards. Have there been any changes I have missed which is causing my DPS to drop?

Here's a link to my armory:
    [url]http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/steamwheedle-cartel/aphaeas/simple[/url]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to re-read all the elitist jerks stuff over the weekend, but I find advise from other players much more useful!

Thanks in advance.
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 03-04-2011, 04:23 PM

Your gear and spec seem fine, you are not quite hit capped which is abit of an issue but you are so close to it that it shouldnt make much of a difference. The hit trinket from Hellscream's Reach is amazing and will allow you to reforge alot of stuff into crit / haste / mastery (depending on what is best for destro locks atm - I have no idea)

Your SP seems abit low but I remember in wotlk locks always seemed to have less SP than mages due to the way coefficients worked and stuff.

I notice that Zerne is actually not hit capped - he is sitting on 15.86% hit. it is possible that locks, like some mages are arguing, are preferring to reforge into DPS stats and ignoring the hit cap somewhat. For some classes (I know this is true for mages) int is more powerful than hit, even when not hit capped, so it's possible that this is the same case here.

Other than gear, it is possible that it is rotational. Are you mashing keys / precasting to the point where you always see a cast bar unless using instants?

Logs from non gimmick fights like Chimaeron would be really helpful, as from that we would be able to see whether the difference is just gear (how many spells do you cast over the course of a fight, average spell damage, average crit rates etc) or rotational (if your breakdown of damage is odd, such as certain spells doing more or less damage over the course of a fight than they should, due to over / under use)
      #29   Report Post  
    Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 PM

DOUBLE POST LOL

Ok I looked through the logs for Team Awesome's last Omnitron kill vs Team Epic's last Omnitron kill and did some more in depth analysis. This kind of thing is great for working out if the difference in DPS between you and another person is down to gear or rotation.

Rotation wise, Zerne has more of his damage coming from Conflag than you did on Omnitron, with Zerne casting it 26 times to your 22. This is not a huge difference, but it is possible therefore that Zerne was hitting Conflag when it was off cooldown slightly faster / more.

Looking at Incinerate, both of you's main damage dealing spell on that fight, Zerne averaged a 30.4% crit rate with it over the course of the fight, while your crit rate on Incin was 30.5% - so almost identical crit rates. The difference here is purely down to gear - Zerne's Incinerates on average hit (non crit) for 3k more than yours do - so no need to worry, a pure spellpower issue there. This gets even bigger when you look at incinerate crits. Your average Incinerate crit for 25k on that fight, zerne's average incinerate crit for 34k - a 9k difference per crit, this is alot.

DoT uptime is another key difference, with Zerne managing a 96.4% Bane of Doom uptime. Your BoD uptime was 36.8% - so there is a clear difference, make sure to keep BoD up

Zerne used an Infernal too - which is a good dps boost while it's up.

One thing I did notice was that you seemed to cast ALOT of incinerates - 82 to Zerne's 56. I am not sure, but seeing as Zerne has more haste it is possible therefore that times spent casting Incinerate for you might have been better spent casting other things, perhaps more conflags or better Bane of Doom Uptime. I THINK (but I may be wrong) that Incinerate is essentially your filler move in the priority system, i.e you cast it when you have nothing better to cast. Refreshing dots, conflag and Chaos Bolt are all probably higher priority.

I am seeing a MASSIVE disparity in average crit damage between the two of you though. Zerne's average Conflag crit was just over 40k, whereas your average conflag crit was 28.7k - so his conflag was, on average, doing 11.3k more damage than yours on a crit. This is again down to spellpower I reckon, as the difference between an average non crit falls to just 4k - due to the way spell crit damage modifiers work this could easily work out to the 11k difference we've seen here.

Another difference was pet damage. Zerbne's Imp was doing 3.7k dps, while yours was only doing 2.2k. This can probably be explained by glyphs - Zerne is using the Glyph of Imp, which buffs his damage quite abit. I would say swap out the Glyph of Chaos Bolt for the Glyph of Imp. Zerne also is using Glyph of Immolate instead of glyph of Incinerate - so you could try that too.

Omnitron has gimmicks, so alot can depend on how well you are getting into puddles for the damage buff. In addition, Zerne has better gear than you - which means he should be doing more damage - we can see from the logs that, overall, discounting some issues with Bane of Doom uptime, most of the difference is his spells are simply hitting harder than yours. So, take heart, gear will help!!!

If you can get logs from something like a Chimaeron kill, that would help alot, as alot of the time DPS on stuff like omnitron is affected heavily by gimmicks of the fight.

Hope that was in some way helpful! Please don't take offence at anything I said above, am just trying to help
      #30   Report Post  
    Old 03-04-2011, 04:52 PM

sitting at around 6k spell dmg you should easily pull about 17-20k on most fights, i would say it is your rotation that your suffering on mainly, and maybe some stats.

For me and most locks in my guild, HIT cap is always the best as a miss is a big loss in Dps (missing a 70k Conflag is no fun for anyone!) once that is done go for Haste/Crit/Mastery in that order.

Roation: Bane of Doom- Imp Soul Fire - Immolate - Conflag - Incinerate (Conflag should be off CD before your immolate runs out so it should fall in order well for the refresh) Pop The Infernal and not the Doomguarrd, Infernal is better DPS

Try and get around 14-15k on the training dummies

Check your Glyphs also as the Imp/Conflag are a must. The diff between immo and incin are minimal so no worries there

let me know how u get on

Last edited by Nelks; 03-04-2011 at 04:56 PM.