Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#11   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2010, 12:08 PM

Excellent, thanks Zerne, full of useful warlock information as usual!

Glad destro is still working for us as I have enjoyed playing with it since the patch and that our DPS is still comparible with other players!
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zerne View Post
    Ohai

Well from lasts night raid I wasn't disappointed at all with my dps, it is less than it was before but its by no means low. We were pretty overpowered since patch 4.0.1 now we are more inline with other pures.

With Destro it's also worth noting that although we lost 12% damage on most of our spells, we also gain a buff to Improved Soulfire. Now you get the 15% haste buff whenever you soulfire instead of only when the mob is above 80% health.
    yeah i was testing mine last night on the dummies and tbh it is not really that bad as some ppl make out.

keep your soulfire proc up and its still easy bash on dmg, if anything the proc is over powered lol, practically on heroism all time!, PEW PEW PEW!!!
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 12-09-2010, 11:39 PM

Liking the Demo spec atlot! The new spell Demon Soul with Felguard (15% spell haste +10% fire,shadow dmg) rocks. combine this with the re-vamped soulfire talent and you got a very nice execute phase!! huge dmg in it. i found it has over taken Destro. sitting at over 5k spell dmg now

what ur raiding with at the moment Zerne and your thought of the end game specs?
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 12-10-2010, 10:16 AM

I've just been using Destro right now with the new points put into improved corruption and mana feed, seems to be pretty decent.

I'll plan to try out demo next, sounds pretty decent!
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 12-10-2010, 12:36 PM

Improved Soul Fire is the most hateful, horrendously god awful mechanic in the world, and makes me never want to play my warlock again until they fix it.

The 15 second cooldown on the effect is complete lunacy, going for beyond the "challenge = fun" aspect and simply becoming hideously frustrating, and making the entire thing hinge on having perfect latency and being 100% perfect with your timing. When I say that, I mean "you need to time your cast based on both duration left on the buff, factoring in your latency, as well as the travel time of the spell because if you were standing abit closer than last time then it will not re apply the buff and you are left ****ing in the wind hard casting yet another Soul Fire."

It is relatively annoying for Destro, for Demo however it is absurd, single handedly making the spec more difficult than anything else in the game for now, not only are you watching all of your timers, including Hand of Guldan Cooldown, Molten Core procs, Meta cooldown timers, planning on how best to get into melee range because Immolation Aura and Shadowflame need to be used on CD to get the best dps and managing your pet, but you are also watching this ridiculous haste buff which is totally essential to your dps, but it also the most fiddly buff to reapply in the whole game.

Removing the internal cooldown on the effect would make it better, but I am not finished in this rant about how utterly horrendous this is as a game design mechanic.

It is ESSENTIAL, for ALL specs. Yes, even Affliction. You read that right, Affliction, a Shadow damage DoT based spec now has to hard cast a soulfire every 15 seconds. In the execute phase, where watching Shadow Embrace stacks, DoT timers and your cast bar to work out when best to clip drain soul to re apply dots, this becomes utterly nightmarish, as you also have to plan for 2.5 seconds of hardcasting soulfire time. If you could refresh the buff whenever you want, that's fine, as you can do it at an appropriate time. But you can't, you have to refresh it at precisely the right time (with about 1-1.5 seconds' margin for error), and if that happens to line up with all your dots needing refreshing and Shadow's Embrace being about to fall off - LOL TOUGH LUCK AFFLICTION LOCKS!

The problem is not only the clunkiness of the mechanic, but also that it forces warlocks to subspec destro. There is no choice in the matter, no matter what spec you are - you WILL be putting enough points into destro to max ISF, because 15% haste is ludicrously good, and if you don't spec into it you are being hideously sub-optimal.

So now all Warlock damage is balanced around keeping this 15% haste buff up, despite it being the most difficult buff to reapply in the game.

Words simply cannot fathom how awful this mechanic is - which probably explains the 23 page thread on the official forums about it, which has some extremely good players from extremely good guilds all saying how moronic it is. ISF needs to have its cooldown removed, and it needs to be brought out of reach of both Demo and Affliction by moving it further down the Destro tree. Another reason why it is such a horrible mechanic is that Soulfire for Demo is their Execute, it makes zero sense to be having to hardcast Soulfire every 15 seconds, despite it losing alot of it'spotency because you won't be casting it under the effects of Decimation - it's just a massively counter intuitive mechanic.

The best thing about Bloodlust now for locks is that it is 45 seconds where you can forget about that ****ing buff because the two effects don't stack and Lust removes it.

Also, Demo won't overtake destro or affliction, Simcraft has shown us this, see here:
    [url]http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t110222-simulationcraft_warlocks_cataclysm_edition/[/url]

Sims done with both pre raid and raid gear. Those sims are done on standup fights with ideal conditions - so in practice demo will be even worse than Affliction or Destro due to the sheer difficulty of the spec.

Last edited by Cataclysmic; 12-10-2010 at 12:40 PM.
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 12-11-2010, 11:46 AM

nah, finding demo humps Destro atm tbh. its killer if u can get ur rotation down.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 12-11-2010, 11:48 AM

Then you are doing destro wrong. Seriously, if you are finding that Demo is higher than destruction you are doing it wrong or you are some kind of genius prodigy, who should make a post on EJ detailing how exactly you achieve such results. If the easier spec is SIMMING higher than the harder one, then there is no way the hard one will be higher in a real situation unless you are doing the easier one wrong, it really is as simple as that.

Last edited by Cataclysmic; 12-11-2010 at 12:21 PM.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 12-11-2010, 12:51 PM

destro is easiest spec and i can play it v.well. but simply put in 5 man's demo is awesome, its way more mana efficient and the bust dmg is class. destro is only really good in raids as you dont have the major buffs on hand. having an extra 500 spell power from demo kinda works in your favor to out dps destro at dungeon lvl

18k-20k dps is kinda a proof, but tbh there is almost nothing between the specs in terms of dps. 1k at the most....you need to think what is best in situations, demo for dungeons and destro/affliction for raids.

Last edited by Nelks; 12-11-2010 at 12:57 PM.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 12-11-2010, 02:51 PM

1. AoE doesn't mean anything - doing 20k dps with immo aura, felguard Felstorm and hellfire + an Infernal is not only totally meaningless, it is also extremely dangerous in the current heroic game, which requires much more thought, better CC and focused single target DPS for the majority of pulls.

2. If you are doing 18-20k dps single target then you must be in fully best in slot pre raid gear (all 346, with all of the crafted epics including darkmoon cards) and playing it as perfectly, and with as little latency as a simulation can compute it. Demo in best in slot pre raiding geared has simmed to ~20k dps theoretical maximum. That assumes a Cataclysm flask, Cata food, a Cata DPS pot used at the correct time.

Exaggerating to make a point doesn't make that point more valid. I will agree on Demo being quite nice in 5 mans however, though this is mostly due to the Decimation uptime being way higher
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 12-12-2010, 12:51 PM

Hey guys, Kelzy here. I've played all the talent specs before but I'm sticking to destruction these days as it suits my style. However, the Soul Fire buff is causing me real annoyance. I keep watching my Blizzard UI buffs and recasting at the last second but since the buff moves around I'm spending vital moments looking for the buff.

On top of that, if empowered imp pops and I'm almost at the end of the Soul Fire CD I'm scanning for both to get my next haste increase instant.

My question to you guys is what mods are best to keep track of the Improved Soul Fire and Empowered Imp CD's? I've had a look myself and turned out a load of buggy rubbish, so if you've got something tried and tested that'd be great.

Sorry for repeating some of your argument Cataclysmic, I totally agree it's a nuisance and with any luck Blizz will change it very soon. Ta.