Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#11   Report Post  
    Old 01-27-2011, 06:20 AM

Shameless bump

On an Unholy DK, am I correct in thinking that you use Festering Strike only when you have blood and frost runes up, and if you have death runes then you should be using Scourge Strike?

Also, what kind of priority does Deathcoil take in the cycle? If you have 45 RP and 2 death Runes + 1 blood Rune + 1 Frost Rune, would you use a Festering Strike + 2 Scourge Strikes, followed by Deathcoil to RP dump, or would you blow the deathcoil first to clear out your RP, then unload your rune based strikes?
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 01-27-2011, 07:09 AM

Cata, you are correct about using Fes only when you have Blood and Frost runes up, Death Runes for SS as it hits way harder. DC only takes priority over SS & Fes if you are at the RP Cap (or if Sudden Doom has procced) so in your example you would use DC last. At least this is my understanding and ties in with the priority system on Elitist Jerks!
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 AM

It depends on how runic corruption works. Runic Empowerment only triggers when you have depleted runes which aren't currently recharging. So if Runic Corruption only activates when Empowerment would, then you should only really use it when you have depleted runes (or when you're RP capped). If it works independently though, you should probably use it whenever you can, as you want as much uptime on corruption as possible. I might see if I can test that.

After the patch, DC takes even bigger priority, since runic corruption procs will extend the duration, rather than overwriting each other. Nomnomnomnom.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 01-27-2011, 02:56 PM

You see I heard that after the patch, because of the change to Runic Corruption, it will be ok to save up alot of Runic Power then machine gun deathcoils. Rather than now where it is more advised to use Deathcoil more slowly, and not fire off several at a time.

WTB Contagion / Klog's Wisdom
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 01-27-2011, 05:16 PM

As of Soon(tm) machine gunning death coils will be acceptable, but only in the case that you have runes on cooldown. Sudden doom procs should always be used up quickly,

Festering strike can be used under 2 circumstances - you don't have the runes to scourge strike and not enuff RP to death coil OR you are using it to extend diseases to the next outbreak cooldown. In a target dummy fight you will only ever have to apply diseases via outbreak even with festering strike as your lowest priority. In reality sometimes you will munch 2 death runes to keep this going. It's better to do this than to let them fall off and have to use icy touch and plague strike. Obviously this only applies to those DKs of a high enough level to learn outbreak.

I've also recently been playing with a mod called combo points redux, which tracks stacks of your ghoul buff. Any way you like of tracking this is good though. Once it is back stacking again I would send death coils up the list of priority a bit to get the highest uptime on your empowered ghoul. When your ghoul is empowered it is a bit less important to death coil, as you are "only" receiving its damage, rather than its damage and buffing ghoul damage. I'm still experimenting with the idea of pooling runic power ready to fire off a quick series of death coils as soon as ghoul buff comes off cooldown. Results on this won't be conclusive until 4.0.6 hits though when this will stop munching runic empowerment procs. (The PTR can go away, its not a big enough patch for messing about on there)

My current style is something like.

* Keep diseases up via outbreak (diseases via IT, PS pre 81)
    * Festering strike if your diseases are going to fall off before the outbreak cooldown (ignore pre-81)
    * Death coil if its stacking your ghoul buff
    * Scourge strike
    * Death coil if its not stacking ghoul buff
    * Festering strike
    * Horn of winter
    * Scratch my nose

Back to back death coils are currently bad, so if I'm about to cap on runic power I'll mix in a few death coils amongst some scourge strikes.
    When it comes to stacking ghoul buff up I'm currently playing as if it were 4.0.6 and stacking it asap without worrying about runic empowerment procs.
    Similarly my gear is also 4.0.6 focused, with mastery now overtaking crit in the stat weightings.

Last edited by Klogaroth; 01-27-2011 at 06:06 PM.
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 PM

I use Power Auras to track Shadow Infusion on my ghoul. It has a nice pretty picture and a timer and stack count, then when I get to 5 stacks I get a nice flashing green circle around it, then when I pop Dark Transformation the icon turns into the Dark Transformation icon and gives me a timer on how long is left before big ghoul becomes little ghoul again.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 PM

Tried out the glyph of death and decay for DPS today. I'd estimate that its around a 1-2% dps loss on a single target. Any more than a single target and it will be a significant DPS increase. Certainly a lot closer than I would have expected on a single target.

Last edited by Klogaroth; 01-28-2011 at 10:23 PM.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 01-29-2011, 08:04 AM

Yup EJ recommends swapping it out for Scourge Strike on mutli target fights. They also suggest swapping out the glyph of Deathcoil for Icy Touch on AoE fights, I assume for a more potent spread of Frost Fever, and on AoE fights as I understand it you end up using Icy Touch to dump frost Runes since you will be using Blood Boil instead of Festering Strike
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 01-29-2011, 11:42 AM

The glyph of death and death and using death and decay on cooldown is, I believe, a damage increase even on single targets for dual wield owing to the lower scourge strike damage dual wield produces.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 01-29-2011, 12:22 PM

Yup it is, at least that's what I read.

Apparently using DnD on cooldown is a DPS increase on single targets for two hand too, though I may be getting this confused?