Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 05-23-2014, 05:37 PM

Default Considering a card upgrade.. do I need to yet?

I've an OC GTX 670 Windforce 3x & it's performed great with everything I've thrown at it since bought (1920x1200)

Figure I may need a bit of a boost with some of the upcoming stuff.. Watch Dogs, Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition, LOTR Shadow Of Mordor etc.
    Should I be looking for something now, or would it be a good idea to wait?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 05-23-2014, 05:43 PM

I'd wait till you actually need the boost...you never know what your card may eat up and what it won't regardless of dev. recommendations.

670's still a nice card and may make it even past the 800 series for your resolution.
    Case:Thermaltake V3 Black Edition||Screen:40" LCD-RCA
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 05-23-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterflaw View Post
    I'd wait till you actually need the boost...you never know what your card may eat up and what it won't regardless of dev. recommendations.

670's still a nice card and may make it even past the 800 series for your resolution.

I'm on the fence atm, but am leaning over the wait side.. what upcoming stuff should I be keeping an eye on?
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 05-23-2014, 06:42 PM

Watchdogs is out in a couple days....and everything you listed are some heavy hitters.
    If you need a card after that then get one.
    I say just wait until you get a game that could use the upgrade....It's always better to wait to see what you'll need after the game comes out rather then try and upgrade before hand. You never know with tech...that 670 could last another 2 years for the games you want to play.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 05-23-2014, 06:59 PM

Thanks for your input Masterflaw, perhaps I should have said GPU's instead of stuff..
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 05-23-2014, 07:20 PM

The 800 series is what I'd be looking at, considering the newer games really cramp your frames....If you need a GPU now the 770's great but I would look toward a 780 and up for the investment to be worth the frames.
    Also whatever AMD decides to put out....
    Sticking within the ~$300 range tends to get you more for your money.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 05-23-2014, 09:32 PM

as long as your running your games fine I would stick with what you have, as if you can make another generation you will get longer out of the new card, so upgrading for the sake of upgrading isn't really worth it.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 05-24-2014, 01:13 AM

It might be worth it if youre looking to play with the absolute most eye candy you can get on the newest and most demanding games. Ive got a pretty heavily overclocked GTX670 FTW and while its a great card, I have to turn a couple settings down a notch on Crysis 3 and cant run Tomb Raider with TressFX without occasional dips down into the low 30's and even high 20's. Turning TressFX off though fixes this though and Im back up in the 50-70 fps range. Hitman Absolution slowed a little too on my rig. And Metro of course, while playable at max settings, is in the upper 30's most of the time.

Now while this is definitely 1st world problems and Im still getting great frame rates and its only these 3 games that Ive not been able to peg everything out at max, Id like a little more horsepower.

For 1920x1200 something like a GTX780 would not be overkill IMO. Nor would a R9 290x. Either one would be a very nice upgrade.

Now if youre not interested in getting the most eye candy possible from the most demanding games and dont mind turning a setting or two down in a very small handful of games, then your GTX670 is still a perfectly capable card and youd be better off in saving your case. Most people dont want to drop $400-550 just to increase performance on the top 1% of games. I do on the other hand and just need the spare $400-550 to do so. Its gonna happen one day. Got a power supply and CPU upgrade to do first.
    • Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB
    • Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD
    • Western Digital Blue 1TB x2
    • EVGA Supernova G2 750
    • HP 2509B @ 1920x1080
    • Corsair Carbide 500R
    • Corsair H100
    • BlackWidow Ultimate & DeathAdder
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 05-24-2014, 04:07 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    It might be worth it if youre looking to play with the absolute most eye candy you can get on the newest and most demanding games. Ive got a pretty heavily overclocked GTX670 FTW and while its a great card, I have to turn a couple settings down a notch on Crysis 3 and cant run Tomb Raider with TressFX without occasional dips down into the low 30's and even high 20's. Turning TressFX off though fixes this though and Im back up in the 50-70 fps range. Hitman Absolution slowed a little too on my rig. And Metro of course, while playable at max settings, is in the upper 30's most of the time.

Now while this is definitely 1st world problems and Im still getting great frame rates and its only these 3 games that Ive not been able to peg everything out at max, Id like a little more horsepower.

For 1920x1200 something like a GTX780 would not be overkill IMO. Nor would a R9 290x. Either one would be a very nice upgrade.

Now if youre not interested in getting the most eye candy possible from the most demanding games and dont mind turning a setting or two down in a very small handful of games, then your GTX670 is still a perfectly capable card and youd be better off in saving your case. Most people dont want to drop $400-550 just to increase performance on the top 1% of games. I do on the other hand and just need the spare $400-550 to do so. Its gonna happen one day. Got a power supply and CPU upgrade to do first.
    The 8150 @ 4.5 having a tough time? I'd imagine that that overclock would put it at par with today's standards. Just be surprising to hear.

Either-way that's my next upgrade as well...Thinking about dropping some money once something solid with DDR 4 becomes available. **secretly waiting for AMD to catch up still **
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 05-24-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterflaw View Post
    The 8150 @ 4.5 having a tough time? I'd imagine that that overclock would put it at par with today's standards. Just be surprising to hear.

Either-way that's my next upgrade as well...Thinking about dropping some money once something solid with DDR 4 becomes available. **secretly waiting for AMD to catch up still **
    the earlier FX 8's were only performing in games and such on about the same level as the sandy bridge i3's, so it is likely it will be hitting it's limits, it's a problem I'm considering since I'm looking at keeping my 470's till the 800 cards come (since nothing I'm playing really hits them much) so I'm just trying to work out how much benefit I would get from going from the i5 2500k to a newer CPU with PCIe 3 and possibly an i7, since it is looking likely the HT is going to start coming into play.