Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 05-21-2014, 04:14 AM

Default Recommendations for a new rig

Hello, I'll be building in the next month or two my first proper gaming rig, here's the plan:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Pablopa99/saved/4KLP

What do you think?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 05-21-2014, 03:29 PM

Looks okay. But IMO your RAM & MOBO costing much more than the graphics card is a little off kilter. Your graphics card will have more impact on gaming, so change to either the R9 280X or GTX 770, they will max the majority of games at 1080p. If needs be to accommodate it, go with a slightly more cost effective motherboard & ram kit.
    Zowie AM-GS/Filco Maj.2 (mx brown)/Senn.PC360/Corsair SP2500

---------------------------
    Self built PC problems Here
    Can i run game XYZ Here
    How do PSU's work Here
    Whats in your PC Here
    Keep your PC clean Here
    How to build a PC Here & Here
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 05-21-2014, 07:41 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, however I forgot to mention that there was no option for just 8 GB of HyperX Beast on PCPartPicker, so my original plan was getting two sticks of 4 GB for $85 USD, do you think it's still too much for RAM?
    I chose that motherboard thinking on future upgradeability, however if you have a better suggestion please tell me, I have little to no knowledge about motherboards.

Last edited by Pablopa99; 05-21-2014 at 07:43 PM.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 PM

Is the R9 280x 3GB a good middle point between the GTX 760 and the GTX 770?
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 05-21-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pablopa99 View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions, however I forgot to mention that there was no option for just 8 GB of HyperX Beast on PCPartPicker, so my original plan was getting two sticks of 4 GB for $85 USD, do you think it's still too much for RAM?
    I chose that motherboard thinking on future upgradeability, however if you have a better suggestion please tell me, I have little to no knowledge about motherboards.
    It's pricey yes, ram is ram, You can get 8GB (2x 4gb) for around $70 or 16GB (2x 8gb) for around $140. Paying a lot isn't necessary.

The recent Z97 chipset motherboards are supposed to be compatible with Intel's Broadwell processors that's coming in future, but no guarantee it's going to be a huge improvement to be a worthy upgrade from an Haswell i5 processor. After that is Skylake (estimated for sometime in 2015) which will require a new socket anyway, and will bring DDR4 ram & PCi-e 4.0. So bottom line, future proofing isn't going to be something to worry about, with new technology around every corner.

MSI's 'gaming' motherboards are popular e.g MSI Z87-GD65

Quote:
    Is the R9 280x 3GB a good middle point between the GTX 760 and the GTX 770?
    Well, both are better than the 760. The 280X & 770 are very similar, depending on the individual game being better optimized for either brand, either can pull ahead of the other. If neither is an advantage depending on what you play most, then maybe if one comes bundled with a game you really want. I wouldn't pay substantially more for one over the other, as long as they have a nice cooler.

Can i run game XYZ Here
    How do PSU's work Here
    Whats in your PC Here
    Keep your PC clean Here
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 05-21-2014, 10:34 PM

Ok, so now I've chose Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600mhz and an ASRock Z87 Pro (I have read some bad things about MSI and also I don't like the "-radical gaming-" look).

Now I'm still on budget to choose a GTX 770, I'm currently reading about the advantages and disadvantages of Gibabytes three-fan-behemot and EVGA's version, they're both the same price.

Thank you so much for your help!

Edit: I've decided the Gigabyte GTX 770 is a better option and updated the build (you can see it using the original link I gave)

Last edited by Pablopa99; 05-21-2014 at 10:52 PM.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2014, 04:27 PM

Not keen on the ram modules with spiky heatsink's it should be fine for the stock Intel CPU cooler, but could potentially get in the way of a 3rd party CPU cooler/heatsink if you wanted to "optionally" add an air cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper/EVO etc.. in place of the stock Intel air cooler.

Some of the GTX 770's give you the Watchdogs game for free, if that interests you, unless you pre-orderd it already.

Can i run game XYZ Here
    How do PSU's work Here
    Whats in your PC Here
    Keep your PC clean Here
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2014, 07:33 PM

I was thinking of getting a cooler master heatsink in the future, however if it gets Mount Doom temperatures I'll consider liquid cooling, yeah I'm not a fan of those ∼radical∼ RAM heatsinks, at least if they burn or something I could stick 'em on the side of my hoverboard.

Yeah, I read something about Watchdogs being included on some models of the GTX 760 - 770, It would be nice having it, yes, however I'm not particularly excited about it, all that GTA like missions and the bland-looking shooting kinda turn me off, however all that use-your-smartphone-to-haAxxX-da-system looks nice.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
    I was thinking of getting a cooler master heatsink in the future, however if it gets Mount Doom temperatures I'll consider liquid cooling, yeah I'm not a fan of those ∼radical∼ RAM heatsinks, at least if they burn or something I could stick 'em on the side of my hoverboard.

Yeah, I read something about Watchdogs being included on some models of the GTX 760 - 770, It would be nice having it, yes, however I'm not particularly excited about it, all that GTA like missions and the bland-looking shooting kinda turn me off, however all that use-your-smartphone-to-haAxxX-da-system looks nice.
    lol, that would look pretty radical

I'm keeping an eye on Watchdogs, the gadget stuff does sound awsome & i do like GTA so that's fine, guess as we wont be seeing GTAV on PC any time soon, it's a possible gap filler. I may buy it sometime after release if it's cool, saving $60 if it's bundled with a GPU you want isn't bad.

Can i run game XYZ Here
    How do PSU's work Here
    Whats in your PC Here
    Keep your PC clean Here
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 05-24-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
    Ok, so now I've chose Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600mhz and an ASRock Z87 Pro (I have read some bad things about MSI and also I don't like the "-radical gaming-" look).

Now I'm still on budget to choose a GTX 770, I'm currently reading about the advantages and disadvantages of Gibabytes three-fan-behemot and EVGA's version, they're both the same price.

Thank you so much for your help!

Edit: I've decided the Gigabyte GTX 770 is a better option and updated the build (you can see it using the original link I gave)
    Why are you going Z87 at all? Your CPU can't overclock so that fuctionality of the Z boards are gone and Z97 are out as well.

Looking at your build, I don't understand why people go with the Samsung 840 EVO. The Crucial M500 has a better NAND and is cheaper. PSU is overkill, any decent 550w should do, such as the XFX or an Rosewill Capstone. RAM seems to be more expensive than it needs to be, http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31600c9d8gao is fine.
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile