Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

    Reply
     
    Thread Tools Display Modes
      #1   Report Post  
    Old 05-21-2014, 04:14 AM
    Pablopa99 Pablopa99 is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Posts: 17
    Default Recommendations for a new rig

    Hello, I'll be building in the next month or two my first proper gaming rig, here's the plan:

    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Pablopa99/saved/4KLP

    What do you think?
    Reply With Quote
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 05-21-2014, 03:29 PM
    fatcobra fatcobra is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: England
    Posts: 5,902
    Default

    Looks okay. But IMO your RAM & MOBO costing much more than the graphics card is a little off kilter. Your graphics card will have more impact on gaming, so change to either the R9 280X or GTX 770, they will max the majority of games at 1080p. If needs be to accommodate it, go with a slightly more cost effective motherboard & ram kit.
    __________________
    i5-760 2.8Ghz/Asus P7P55D-E / Titan Fenrir EVO/Kingston 4GB
    2xWD C.Black 640GB (RAID 0)/Gainward GTX 670 Phantom/Corsair TX850w
    Sound Blaster Z /CM 310/W7 HP 64bit/Asus PB278Q 2560x1440p
    Zowie AM-GS/Filco Maj.2 (mx brown)/Senn.PC360/Corsair SP2500

    ---------------------------
    Self built PC problems Here
    Can i run game XYZ Here
    How do PSU's work Here
    Whats in your PC Here
    Keep your PC clean Here
    How to build a PC Here & Here
    Reply With Quote
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 05-21-2014, 07:41 PM
    Pablopa99 Pablopa99 is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Posts: 17
    Default

    Thanks for your suggestions, however I forgot to mention that there was no option for just 8 GB of HyperX Beast on PCPartPicker, so my original plan was getting two sticks of 4 GB for $85 USD, do you think it's still too much for RAM?
    I chose that motherboard thinking on future upgradeability, however if you have a better suggestion please tell me, I have little to no knowledge about motherboards.

    Last edited by Pablopa99; 05-21-2014 at 07:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 PM
    Pablopa99 Pablopa99 is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Posts: 17
    Default

    Is the R9 280x 3GB a good middle point between the GTX 760 and the GTX 770?
    Reply With Quote
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 05-21-2014, 10:12 PM
    fatcobra fatcobra is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: England
    Posts: 5,902
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pablopa99 View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions, however I forgot to mention that there was no option for just 8 GB of HyperX Beast on PCPartPicker, so my original plan was getting two sticks of 4 GB for $85 USD, do you think it's still too much for RAM?
    I chose that motherboard thinking on future upgradeability, however if you have a better suggestion please tell me, I have little to no knowledge about motherboards.
    It's pricey yes, ram is ram, You can get 8GB (2x 4gb) for around $70 or 16GB (2x 8gb) for around $140. Paying a lot isn't necessary.

    The recent Z97 chipset motherboards are supposed to be compatible with Intel's Broadwell processors that's coming in future, but no guarantee it's going to be a huge improvement to be a worthy upgrade from an Haswell i5 processor. After that is Skylake (estimated for sometime in 2015) which will require a new socket anyway, and will bring DDR4 ram & PCi-e 4.0. So bottom line, future proofing isn't going to be something to worry about, with new technology around every corner.

    MSI's 'gaming' motherboards are popular e.g MSI Z87-GD65

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pablopa99 View Post
    Is the R9 280x 3GB a good middle point between the GTX 760 and the GTX 770?
    Well, both are better than the 760. The 280X & 770 are very similar, depending on the individual game being better optimized for either brand, either can pull ahead of the other. If neither is an advantage depending on what you play most, then maybe if one comes bundled with a game you really want. I wouldn't pay substantially more for one over the other, as long as they have a nice cooler.
    __________________
    i5-760 2.8Ghz/Asus P7P55D-E / Titan Fenrir EVO/Kingston 4GB
    2xWD C.Black 640GB (RAID 0)/Gainward GTX 670 Phantom/Corsair TX850w
    Sound Blaster Z /CM 310/W7 HP 64bit/Asus PB278Q 2560x1440p
    Zowie AM-GS/Filco Maj.2 (mx brown)/Senn.PC360/Corsair SP2500

    ---------------------------
    Self built PC problems Here
    Can i run game XYZ Here
    How do PSU's work Here
    Whats in your PC Here
    Keep your PC clean Here
    How to build a PC Here & Here
    Reply With Quote
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 05-21-2014, 10:34 PM
    Pablopa99 Pablopa99 is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Posts: 17
    Default

    Ok, so now I've chose Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600mhz and an ASRock Z87 Pro (I have read some bad things about MSI and also I don't like the "-radical gaming-" look).

    Now I'm still on budget to choose a GTX 770, I'm currently reading about the advantages and disadvantages of Gibabytes three-fan-behemot and EVGA's version, they're both the same price.

    Thank you so much for your help!

    Edit: I've decided the Gigabyte GTX 770 is a better option and updated the build (you can see it using the original link I gave)

    Last edited by Pablopa99; 05-21-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2014, 04:27 PM
    fatcobra fatcobra is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: England
    Posts: 5,902
    Default

    Not keen on the ram modules with spiky heatsink's it should be fine for the stock Intel CPU cooler, but could potentially get in the way of a 3rd party CPU cooler/heatsink if you wanted to "optionally" add an air cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper/EVO etc.. in place of the stock Intel air cooler.

    Some of the GTX 770's give you the Watchdogs game for free, if that interests you, unless you pre-orderd it already.
    __________________
    i5-760 2.8Ghz/Asus P7P55D-E / Titan Fenrir EVO/Kingston 4GB
    2xWD C.Black 640GB (RAID 0)/Gainward GTX 670 Phantom/Corsair TX850w
    Sound Blaster Z /CM 310/W7 HP 64bit/Asus PB278Q 2560x1440p
    Zowie AM-GS/Filco Maj.2 (mx brown)/Senn.PC360/Corsair SP2500

    ---------------------------
    Self built PC problems Here
    Can i run game XYZ Here
    How do PSU's work Here
    Whats in your PC Here
    Keep your PC clean Here
    How to build a PC Here & Here
    Reply With Quote
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2014, 07:33 PM
    Pablopa99 Pablopa99 is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Posts: 17
    Default

    I was thinking of getting a cooler master heatsink in the future, however if it gets Mount Doom temperatures I'll consider liquid cooling, yeah I'm not a fan of those ∼radical∼ RAM heatsinks, at least if they burn or something I could stick 'em on the side of my hoverboard.

    Yeah, I read something about Watchdogs being included on some models of the GTX 760 - 770, It would be nice having it, yes, however I'm not particularly excited about it, all that GTA like missions and the bland-looking shooting kinda turn me off, however all that use-your-smartphone-to-haAxxX-da-system looks nice.
    Reply With Quote
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2014, 08:49 PM
    fatcobra fatcobra is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: England
    Posts: 5,902
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pablopa99 View Post
    I was thinking of getting a cooler master heatsink in the future, however if it gets Mount Doom temperatures I'll consider liquid cooling, yeah I'm not a fan of those ∼radical∼ RAM heatsinks, at least if they burn or something I could stick 'em on the side of my hoverboard.

    Yeah, I read something about Watchdogs being included on some models of the GTX 760 - 770, It would be nice having it, yes, however I'm not particularly excited about it, all that GTA like missions and the bland-looking shooting kinda turn me off, however all that use-your-smartphone-to-haAxxX-da-system looks nice.
    lol, that would look pretty radical

    I'm keeping an eye on Watchdogs, the gadget stuff does sound awsome & i do like GTA so that's fine, guess as we wont be seeing GTAV on PC any time soon, it's a possible gap filler. I may buy it sometime after release if it's cool, saving $60 if it's bundled with a GPU you want isn't bad.
    __________________
    i5-760 2.8Ghz/Asus P7P55D-E / Titan Fenrir EVO/Kingston 4GB
    2xWD C.Black 640GB (RAID 0)/Gainward GTX 670 Phantom/Corsair TX850w
    Sound Blaster Z /CM 310/W7 HP 64bit/Asus PB278Q 2560x1440p
    Zowie AM-GS/Filco Maj.2 (mx brown)/Senn.PC360/Corsair SP2500

    ---------------------------
    Self built PC problems Here
    Can i run game XYZ Here
    How do PSU's work Here
    Whats in your PC Here
    Keep your PC clean Here
    How to build a PC Here & Here
    Reply With Quote
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 05-24-2014, 07:39 PM
    Tr4656 Tr4656 is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 6,566
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pablopa99 View Post
    Ok, so now I've chose Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600mhz and an ASRock Z87 Pro (I have read some bad things about MSI and also I don't like the "-radical gaming-" look).

    Now I'm still on budget to choose a GTX 770, I'm currently reading about the advantages and disadvantages of Gibabytes three-fan-behemot and EVGA's version, they're both the same price.

    Thank you so much for your help!

    Edit: I've decided the Gigabyte GTX 770 is a better option and updated the build (you can see it using the original link I gave)
    Why are you going Z87 at all? Your CPU can't overclock so that fuctionality of the Z boards are gone and Z97 are out as well.

    Looking at your build, I don't understand why people go with the Samsung 840 EVO. The Crucial M500 has a better NAND and is cheaper. PSU is overkill, any decent 550w should do, such as the XFX or an Rosewill Capstone. RAM seems to be more expensive than it needs to be, http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31600c9d8gao is fine.
    __________________
    Probably sent from my Nexus 5
    Intel SB-E 3930k with EK-Supreme HF
    NZXT Switch 810 || 2x MSI Ref 670
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump