Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#11   Report Post  
    Old 05-12-2014, 12:48 PM

The reference models do run hot but cards like these with much better fans won't be a big problem especially in a nice roomy case like that one I listed. The Gigabyte Windforce or MSI Twin Frozr or XFX Double Dissipation cards have excellent coolers and you'd have to go with a custom water block on them to get better.
    • Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB
    • Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD
    • Western Digital Blue 1TB x2
    • EVGA Supernova G2 750
    • HP 2509B @ 1920x1080
    • Corsair Carbide 500R
    • Corsair H100
    • BlackWidow Ultimate & DeathAdder
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 05-17-2014, 11:20 PM

Don't worry about the reference coolers. They used to suck, but the modern ones are quiet and efficient.

I'd also echo the recommendation for the second rig listed in this thread. The Samsung 840 EVO will actually make your computer feel like a $2000 computer instead of a 4-year-old budget machine. Definitely only need the i5-4670k, the i7 is a waste of money (Intel's fault, they made the i5 too good). My only thought would be to sacrifice something to get the GTX 780 Ti, which is a lot better. Consider stepping down to 8 GB of RAM, getting a less fancy motherboard (let's face it, you're unlikely to go SLI down the road especially if you get the Ti anyway).

Also, the new Z97 motherboards are out, so there's no reason to go Z87 anymore.
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 05-18-2014, 12:58 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3LZDL

how does this look? Ima stick with the i7 incase i need to use it for work, (crunching a lot of data)
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 05-24-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MD1032 View Post
    Don't worry about the reference coolers. They used to suck, but the modern ones are quiet and efficient.

I'd also echo the recommendation for the second rig listed in this thread. The Samsung 840 EVO will actually make your computer feel like a $2000 computer instead of a 4-year-old budget machine. Definitely only need the i5-4670k, the i7 is a waste of money (Intel's fault, they made the i5 too good). My only thought would be to sacrifice something to get the GTX 780 Ti, which is a lot better. Consider stepping down to 8 GB of RAM, getting a less fancy motherboard (let's face it, you're unlikely to go SLI down the road especially if you get the Ti anyway).

Also, the new Z97 motherboards are out, so there's no reason to go Z87 anymore.
    Why would you ever go Samsung 840 EVO when M500s are better and use better NAND? Modern ref coolers still aren't that great honestly. They could be quieter and cooler.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackedupmachine View Post
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3LZDL

how does this look? Ima stick with the i7 incase i need to use it for work, (crunching a lot of data)
    There is no need for 1866 on Intel for the most part. PSU is overkill, mobo could be better.

My suggestion: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Q9uj

You could wit for the 4790k to come out for better OC ability.
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile