Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

Closed Thread

#11   Report Post  
    Old 10-16-2010, 08:32 AM

Zaev,

Do you have any thoughts or advice on rogue-relevant UI and other general mods? It seems now would be a good time to get used to a new UI and I'm a complete muppet in this area.

Cheers

Ross
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 10-16-2010, 05:41 PM

Heh your timing is good Ross. I was hugely reliant on my Spartan UI and now that its broken and (probably) never coming back, i've been messing around with a lot of my UI.

The first thing that is pretty much essential is rogue power bars, this is a nice addon which tracks your current buffs and debuffs. So for instance since envenom refreshes S&D you get one bar which shows S&D ticking down and another which shows envenom, so you can perfectly time when best to use your envenom to prevent any clipping. Bartender is also a must, stunwatch and Omni CC can also be pretty useful.

The problem is, with my spartan UI my energy bar and combo points bar was close to these buff/debuff bars. But with that gone i've had to use other means of tracking that because having to glance at my energy/CP up at the top left of the screen, my action bar at the bottem and my buff/debuff on the right is painful. So you can do a number of things, i've gotten energywatch and combopointsRedux and put both bars right beside my rogue power bars. So now I have all the information I need on the right hand side of the screen. Alternatively you can put the rogue power bars beside your character portrait.
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 10-16-2010, 06:50 PM

Thanks!

I've been using Rogue Power Bars for a while and love 'em. There's some nice customisation although it doesn't seem to include new things like Vendetta.

I'll try out the others, cheers.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2010, 06:21 PM

I was wondering if you had any information on trash rotation before acquiring Fan of Knives?

I understand how we're supposed to operate on boss fights, and the most simple trash method belongs to combat, naturally (but combat is a load of ass I reckon).

At the minute Im using Assassination for instancing and the following is getting me around 700 DPS in BC instances (hellfire etc.) -
    The method is simply heavily reliant on Venomous Wounds - garrote to open (1CP) Mutilate (2cp) hit rupture, tab cycle targets and apply a 2CP rupture to every mob in sight - once this has been done, go back to any mobs still alive and start whacking out envenoms to finish them off.

From my (limited) experience, and Ive been playing my rogue pretty solidly this past two weeks, it seems that subtlety and Assassination become a lot more instance viable once you hit 25 talent points (for subtlety its because backstab can be pulled off with less energy) - there just doesn't seem to be a lot of information in the "lower level" field.

Ive always found subtlety best for soloing (ambush + instant 5cp Eviscerate is almost a one shot) but it does lag once you actually have to face and combat more than one opponent, as hemo is weak and DoTs take time to run.
    Also, I find Wound Poison to be better on both weapons in subtlety (since it easily outprocs Instant, and subtelty receives no real benefit from Deadly unless it runs its whole course on a boss it would seem - and at which point envenom might become useful, but definitely not for trash)

Thoughts?
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2010, 02:01 PM

I've been looking into reforging crit into haste on various websites and have become a little confused, they all (as Zael said) recommend swapping crit for haste, what I can't find is when you should do this.
    I downloaded CSC3 (a program that calculates your crit cap) and it tells me that my current crit (with the usual raid buffs) is 52.4% which is 14% below my crit cap.
    What I was wondering is, do I aim for the crit cap then reforge excess crit or do I just take as much crit off my gear as possible?

Rogue is hard, my head hurts
    "...people who personify and love corporations to the point where they can actually feel betrayed by them - well, roll over and take it. You're in for a lifetime of abusive imaginary relationships."

(Blyth Jon, September 2011, PCGamer UK, p90)

Steam id: feersum
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2010, 02:18 PM

I talked with you ingame Klatu but just incase anyone else was wondering.

Crit isn't a bad stat in of itself, the problem is with the new focus in agility you're going to be pushed closer to the crit cap than before. The crit cap is bad and shouldn't be looked at like a hit cap or expertise cap. You don't want to be close to it, because any upgrade you get will contain more agility which will push you closer to, or over the cap and then you're wasting stats.

The way around this is to reforge out of crit, usually to haste because it's a really good stat. But even if you already have haste you should still reforge out of crit to another stat because you don't want to be close to that cap.

A blog about games. - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2010, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the help Zael, much appreciated.
    "...people who personify and love corporations to the point where they can actually feel betrayed by them - well, roll over and take it. You're in for a lifetime of abusive imaginary relationships."

(Blyth Jon, September 2011, PCGamer UK, p90)

Steam id: feersum
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2010, 03:36 PM

Sorry Red I just saw your post there. To get maximum dps on trash I wouldn't switch targets, rupture in terms of dps isn't that important to an assassination rogue, it's the energy boost gained from [Url=http://www.wowhead.com/spell=79134]Venomous Wounds[/url] that's the main thing. Envenom is still the damage dealer so focus on one mob at a time. Also make sure you open with Slice & Dice after garrote, then you can keep it up with envenoms. If the trash dies too fast I wouldn't even bother with rupture, just garrote, Slice and Dice and Envenom.

Updates every Wednesday.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2010, 04:59 PM

Cheers Zaev I'll try that - I'm dual specced with Subtlety and often try both - I was instancing today and didnt bother to switch to Assi and just ended up playing subtlety - my DPS increased to about 850 max on trash just through Ambush/Eviscerate bursts (trash was going down too quickly to use Assi rotation) and backstab spam - a combination which wasn't viable before due to the high cost of backstab.

However, Assi still pulls superior boss DPS (1.3k on Rokmar in Underbog). I can only really conclude that the viability of rogue specs changes massively and often depending on what talents are availible at the time - especially once you hit the 25 pointers.

I know I'm talking about low level stuff here but there's very little information availible in that field when everyone has their nose stuck in raiding.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2010, 06:16 PM

Yeah that's true, in terms of low level stuff the only thing people really care about is levelling builds, no one really pays much attention to the instances because they're quite easy these days.

Updates every Wednesday.
    Closed Thread