Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 12-07-2013, 09:01 PM

Default Good gaming rig? need feedback!

So I have asked for a bunch of parts for Christmas so I can hand build my very first desktop! Anything really is a step up from what I have but I was really going for a mid range build that wouldn't break the bank. So if you all can give me any feedback that would be greatly appreciated!

1. AMD Athlon X4 750K CPU
    2. MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Motherboard
    3. 2GB Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X Graphics Card
    4. 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
    5. 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drive
    6. 500W Corsair CX500 Power Supply
    7. Rosewill Line-M Case
    8. OS - Windows 7 System Builder
    Total Cost - $ 720

Ps. Its already close to the top of my budget so please don't recommend anything more expensive.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 12-07-2013, 10:05 PM

[url]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2gGoU[/url]
    $4 over but you can grab that Corsair CX PSU if you want to bring the budget back down...I wouldn't recommend it as the extra loot for the XFX is plenty worth it..those Athlons are getting old...Adding a cooler,later, to that 6350 will get it to a good speed for future games.
    Case:Thermaltake V3 Black Edition||Screen:40" LCD-RCA
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 12-07-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterflaw View Post
    [url]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2gGoU[/url]
    $4 over but you can grab that Corsair CX PSU if you want to bring the budget back down...I wouldn't recommend it as the extra loot for the XFX is plenty worth it..those Athlons are getting old...Adding a cooler,later, to that 6350 will get it to a good speed for future games.
    Lets say I went with the Athlon and the motherboard I had picked out, would I be able to upgrade the CPU in the future with that motherboard or would that need an upgrade too? And if so what could i upgrade the CPU to? i know there are few different types of AMD CPUs and i dont really know the differences between them.

Last edited by Aleccs22; 12-07-2013 at 10:40 PM.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 12-07-2013, 11:14 PM

No...part of the reason why it's really not a good processor to go with...
    At least roll with a Phenom X4 with an AM3+ slot....[url]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2gIHG[/url]
    Those can be upgraded to FX processors(zambezi)..

I would shoot for that 6350 though. You may regret not getting the CPU power you need...some games require a lot and bottle necking, for some, can bring frames down to unplayable levels.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterflaw View Post
    No...part of the reason why it's really not a good processor to go with...
    At least roll with a Phenom X4 with an AM3+ slot....[url]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2gIHG[/url]
    Those can be upgraded to FX processors(zambezi)..

I would shoot for that 6350 though. You may regret not getting the CPU power you need...some games require a lot and bottle necking, for some, can bring frames down to unplayable levels.
    So aside from that does everything else look good? what about that grahpics card?
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2013, 01:52 AM

Everything I would reccomend otherwise is in the first build...looks good and will work though.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2013, 05:26 PM

I realize this will increase the cost of the computer, but the performance increase you will get will be HUGE. For about $100 more, you can put a SSD drive in. Check out the Plextor M5P Xtreme 128. You can pick one up on Newegg.

-T
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by viper1979 View Post
    I realize this will increase the cost of the computer, but the performance increase you will get will be HUGE. For about $100 more, you can put a SSD drive in. Check out the Plextor M5P Xtreme 128. You can pick one up on Newegg.

-T
    the performance increase isn't "huge" it reduces startup time and it decreases loading screen time, but in the majority of games with very few loading screens a SSD doesn't give any performance benefit as once you are past the loading screen everything is running from RAM anyway.

so unless your playing games where you are more or less constantly looking at a loading screen an SSD wont help you much, in open world games they are actually pretty pointless as even from a standard hard drive it will catch to the RAM faster than you will ever move.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2013, 07:41 PM

Yea with his budget an SSD is a far after sight.
    They are really nice though.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 12-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    the performance increase isn't "huge" it reduces startup time and it decreases loading screen time, but in the majority of games with very few loading screens a SSD doesn't give any performance benefit as once you are past the loading screen everything is running from RAM anyway.

so unless your playing games where you are more or less constantly looking at a loading screen an SSD wont help you much, in open world games they are actually pretty pointless as even from a standard hard drive it will catch to the RAM faster than you will ever move.

Well, of course that is why you would buy an SSD. ALL games have loading times. I would never suggest that an SSD would improve FPS because it doesn't do that. An SSD does make a HUGE difference in performance with your computer. Games don't run faster, but they load faster. Windows loads faster, programs load faster, windows open faster.

With a SSD install, the only direction you are heading is UP. Worth every penny. To suggest you are better off with an HDD is just silly. SSD is on a whole new level and is the future of computers.

-T

Tags

amd, feedback, gaming rig, radeon