Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2013, 01:49 PM

Default install windows 7 to ssd, no key/cd

when i originally installed windows 7 onto my HDD i had paid a friend to use his disk and 2nd seat, although, when i installed windows it kept asking me to register and kept saying the key was already used... basically, the dude screwed me over. i got my money back and gave him the disk.

oddly, after 30 days it just stopped telling me i wasn't registered and i have been using the OS successfully for 3 years.

this leaves me in a tough spot though, since i just bought an SSD and would prefer doing a clean install. will this be impossible without the disk or key? will i have to do a transfer instead?

if it is possible to do a clean install, how do i go about it?

if i have to do a transfer, how is this performed?

thanks!

disclaimer: i know these questions have been asked many times, but i haven't come across any that share all of the issues i face.

also, i bought a seagate 600 series 240gb, its only $130 today (black friday) on newegg. get on that!
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2013, 02:35 PM

you need the CD key, it's the only way, unless your drive with windows on now is the same size or smaller than the SSD then you could use software to clone what is on that driver to the SSD.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    you need the CD key, it's the only way, unless your drive with windows on now is the same size or smaller than the SSD then you could use software to clone what is on that driver to the SSD.
    yeah i've been considering it, but its a TON of work, being that i have 2tb of files and only have a 240gb SSD lol. hence, why i'm seeing if there's a way to reinstall it, but as you say, it is impossible.

the last thing i want to do is pirate it, although, my current version basically is, being that its unactivated. i was actually kicked off of tomshardware for asking this same question.... fruit loops.

i'm basically looking to only have OS and games on the SSD (could care less about the speed of programs like itunes and what not). which means i'd have to find a way to back everything up, clone the cleaned out HDD to the SSD, and then transfer all of the backed up files to the HDD again.

this sucks cuz i'll probably have to buy an external HDD, or pay for a cloud service, in which case i might as well buy Windows.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2013, 03:31 PM

Could just cough up the $90 and buy a fresh OEM copy. That would be the easiest.
    • Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB
    • Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD
    • Western Digital Blue 1TB x2
    • EVGA Supernova G2 750
    • HP 2509B @ 1920x1080
    • Corsair Carbide 500R
    • Corsair H100
    • BlackWidow Ultimate & DeathAdder
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2013, 03:07 PM

Google "Magical Jelly Bean". Seriously. You'll find a tool that will display your Windows serial number so you can reuse it with your new installation, assuming it was accepted before.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2013, 07:08 PM

Yeah that's right. I'd forgotten all about that but yeah there are programs out there that'll dig up your current key so you can reuse it. I can't remember what all there are but Google it and you should find some options.
    • Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB
    • Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD
    • Western Digital Blue 1TB x2
    • EVGA Supernova G2 750
    • HP 2509B @ 1920x1080
    • Corsair Carbide 500R
    • Corsair H100
    • BlackWidow Ultimate & DeathAdder