Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 10-10-2010, 06:05 PM

Default Shadow Priest Patch 4.0 Guide

[RIGHT][SIZE="4"]Shadow Priest Patch 4.0 Guide[/SIZE]

by Ayumis[/RIGHT]

Patch 4.0 is coming, are you ready for the extra DPS? Threat? Abilities? Mechanics?

If not then read on…

Gear

Our top 3 stats are now Intellect, haste rating and critical strike rating. After that its Mastery.

Hit cap is now 446, Spirit now gives hit rating on a 1:1 ratio (with 2 points in twisted faith) so that shouldn't be a problem.

Glyphs

Prime

1. Glyph of Mind Flay
    2. Glyph of Shadow Word: Pain - Now increases damage by 10%

Then either:

Glyph of Dispersion - Take this if you are mana starved or encounter specific (i.e. Festergut, Sindragosa)

Or

Glyph of Shadow Word: Death - If the target doesn't die then the CD is reset (Spam this until either the mob or you dies!)

My preference is Dispersion for raiding and Shadow Word: Death for solo/pvp.

Major glyphs

1. Glyph of Fade - Reduces CD by 9 secs, very useful for threat management.
    2. Glyph of Psychic Scream - Causes targets to tremble in place instead of fleeing (more cc!)

Then either:

Glyph of Spirit Tap - This is our old talent turned into a Glyph, but now requires the killing blow to be with Shadow Word: Death

Or

Glyph if Psychic Horror - Reduces CD from 2 minutes to 1 minute

My preference is Psychic Horror for solo/pvp and Glyph of Spirit Tap for raiding.

Minor

1. Glyph of Levitate
    2. Glyph of Fading - Works nicely with Glyph of Fade (reduces mana cost)
    3. Glyph of Shadowfiend.

* Glyph of Mind Sear - Has gone - part of the anti AoE everything change for the next expansion.

Enchants

Still the same, until the expansion is released:

Head: 30 Spell Power 20 Critical Strike Rating (Kirin Tor reputation)
    Shoulders: 24 Spell Power, 15 Critical Strike Rating (The Sons of Hodir)
    Cloak: 23 Haste Rating
    Chest: +10 All Stats
    Bracers: +30 Spell Power
    Gloves: +28 Spell Power
    Pants: 50 Spell Power, 30 Spirit (better than Stamina as you can reforge spirit elsewhere for haste)
    Boots: Tuskar's Vitality
    Weapon: +63 Spell Power (one-handed weapons), +81 Spell Power (Staves)

Spells

Shadow priests don't have a rotation, but a set of spell priorities. These have changed with this patch to the following:

Opener

It doesn't really matter how you start casting as shadow weaving is gone. I would use the following as its lower on threat:

Vampiric Touch > Shadow Word: Pain > Devouring Plague > Mind Blast > Mind Flay

Spell priority

Vampiric Touch > Shadow Word: Pain > Devouring Plague > *SW: D > Mind Blast > Mind Flay

* Mind Blast > SW: D when 3 x Shadow Orbs.

Always have Vampiric Touch, Devouring Plague and Shadow Word: Pain up.
    Use SW: D and Mind Blast on every cooldown.
    Fill in gaps with Mind Flay.

Always cast something. Stopping for things to come off cooldown or waiting half a second to get perfect uptime on DOT's will only make your DPS suffer.

Refresh your dots just before the last tick as it now refreshes and duration and does not clip the last tick. It is a major dps loss to let you DoT drop off now.

In encounters with multiple targets you should keep Vampiric Touch and Shadow Word: Pain running on all targets simultaneously and use Mind Sear if the encounter allows it.

Threat

When you're about to pull a boss, make sure you fade just before the tank pulls, so you can apply DoTs and Mind Flay without worrying that you'll pull aggro.
    Fade is a great spell to have at your disposal, but if you still have aggro when it is about to expire you should quickly move your DP to another target and use dispersion if you get attacked.

Consumables

List of consumables that are good to bring to a raid:

20x - Flask of the Frost Wyrm
    20x - Potion of Speed (better than Wild Magic now SW: P has been fixed)
    20x - Fish feast

On progression encounters pre-pot before engaging the boss. Use a Potion of Speed and fade, and do your opening sequence. This will allow your potion cooldown to activate before the fight, allowing you to use another potion a minute later.

Further into the fight, you can use another Potion of Speed to increase your DPS. As the ticks now increase with haste it doesn't matter if you use it during Bloodlust but watch your aggro.

Patch Day

First stop the Priest trainer learn:

Mysticism - Increases intellect by 5% (for wearing cloth only)

Secondly set up your talents (below is a level 85 example, play around with it for your own level 80 build):

[url]http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#bcGkZZGrGdMzMd0fo[/url]

Then add in your new glyphs (or quickly run to the AH and buy some)

Finally head off to the reforger (near enchanting trainer) and convert any left over secondary stats to haste (if hit capped) or to hit*.

If you need more hit then try and convert crit, likewise convert extra hit/spirit to haste.

Last edited by Ayumis; 10-10-2010 at 06:28 PM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 10-12-2010, 03:48 PM

A couple of updates to my previous guide:

If you have enough hit/crit or spirit/crit gear and you are over the hit cap then it would be better to swap your head and shoulder enchants to the Int/Spirit ones and convert the extra hit/spirit to haste.

If threat becomes an issue then consider swapping the speed cloak enchant for wisdom (lower threat and spirit)

Finally if you need more hit then remember to convert to spirit not hit as it's more flexible for you healing types.

I'm not really taking a very good break from WoW am I?!? Lol I should stop pretending and just come back

Last edited by Ayumis; 10-12-2010 at 03:53 PM.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 10-12-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ayumis View Post
    I'm not really taking a very good break from WoW am I?!? Lol I should stop pretending and just come back
    Do this plox
    "Creates a line of frost in front of the mage, 30 yards from end to end. Enemies who cross the line are snared and take damage. This spell is intended to give mages a way to help control the battlefield..."

LOLWUT
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 10-13-2010, 11:17 AM

I've always considered glyph of spirit tap to be a levelling glyph - in a raid with lots of people boshing stuff, its quite difficult to get the killing blow in

Just a quick question then, are healers going to hate us ? suiciding on SWD could really not make us popular.

The tests I ran on PTR meant I could kill a level 82 elite in icecrown (the giants on the bridge) pretty much before he could reach me (and thats without jigging gear and stuff)

Just a shame they have nerfed mind sear, it wasn't that brilliant to start with

Last edited by Fuz; 10-13-2010 at 11:28 AM.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 10-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Yeah I agree Fuz, spirit tap wasn't amazing when it was a talent and now it's a glyph it's even worse ( as only SW: D affects it)

And a far as using SW: D goes, let the healers know you'll be using it and that you'll self heal.

For Heavy AoE encounters or progression fights consider dropping it until it's safe to use.

As the old saying goes Dead DPS = No DPS.

Talking of DPS I saw a marked improvement on the target dummy (from ~7.6k to ~9.8k without changing my glyphs and with a slightly laggy ptr)

Last edited by Ayumis; 10-13-2010 at 12:14 PM.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 10-16-2010, 08:35 PM

wow guys just got Anig sorted out. gone up 3k dps on the targets. Are any of you having mana problems??
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 PM

Hey Anig,

Nice buff isn't it

I've not had any mana issues with the shadowfiend cd being reduced by the sin and punishment talent.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 10-18-2010, 08:23 AM

No mana issues here, far from it infact, finish most fights near 100% mana.

If you are having problems, try being more aggressive with Shadowfiend. As Ayumis mentioned, it's cooldown is now massively reduced by your mindflay crits with the Sin & Punishment talent, so you don't need to hold back on using it. Not only will you get more DPS, but you'll never need to worry about mana!
    "Creates a line of frost in front of the mage, 30 yards from end to end. Enemies who cross the line are snared and take damage. This spell is intended to give mages a way to help control the battlefield..."

LOLWUT
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 10-18-2010, 09:48 AM

anyone else had problems with graphics ? I don't get a cloud with dispersion anymore and sometimes I don't see my apparitions when I spawn them
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fuz View Post
    anyone else had problems with graphics ? I don't get a cloud with dispersion anymore and sometimes I don't see my apparitions when I spawn them
    Ye I've noticed that with dispersion. Not the first time its broken, I'm sure they'll fix it at some point

LOLWUT