Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#11   Report Post  
    Old 06-13-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AMacdonald View Post
    ONLY?! That's my unjustified smugness ruined then.
    I only meant it as in comparison to the 1gig network speed, back when I was stuck on 3 meg I would've been happy with 10 then they put infinity in so it took quite a big jump.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 06-14-2013, 01:49 PM

If I am downloading something off of steam my peak download rate is ~300 KB/s so that fits what Belimawr says. I haven't ran the test yet, but when I do I will post the results. What I dont understand is why my actual download rate, 300KB/s, is nowhere near my connection speed of 144Mbps. I was also reading some reviews on my wifi card, it is an Asus PCE-N15 Wireless-N card, and a few people where saying it uses Realtek software which is terrible because it isn't efficient or something. Has anyone else heard anything about this card being crappy?
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 06-14-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by headbutthead View Post
    What I dont understand is why my actual download rate, 300KB/s, is nowhere near my connection speed of 144Mbps. I was also reading some reviews on my wifi card, it is an Asus PCE-N15 Wireless-N card, and a few people where saying it uses Realtek software which is terrible because it isn't efficient or something. Has anyone else heard anything about this card being crappy?
    The connection speed isn't your internet connection speed. The 144Mbps is what your card is performing at. If your internet is only 3Mbps you won't see speeds bigger than that.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 06-14-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by headbutthead View Post
    If I am downloading something off of steam my peak download rate is ~300 KB/s so that fits what Belimawr says. I haven't ran the test yet, but when I do I will post the results. What I dont understand is why my actual download rate, 300KB/s, is nowhere near my connection speed of 144Mbps. I was also reading some reviews on my wifi card, it is an Asus PCE-N15 Wireless-N card, and a few people where saying it uses Realtek software which is terrible because it isn't efficient or something. Has anyone else heard anything about this card being crappy?
    144Mb is the speed that your computer can talk to others on your home network. It's your wireless connection speed. Your broadband speed is 3Mb so that's the speed at which you can talk to computers on the other end of the broadband connection, ie everywhere else.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AMacdonald View Post
    144Mb is the speed that your computer can talk to others on your home network. It's your wireless connection speed. Your broadband speed is 3Mb so that's the speed at which you can talk to computers on the other end of the broadband connection, ie everywhere else.
    then there is the who bit to byte conversion since internet speeds are sold in bit's and the actual download speed on your PC shows as bytes. so 1 byte = 8 bits, on lower speed the simple math is to divide your internet speed by 10 due to various overheads and other stuff.

so if you only pay for 3meg internet you should be seeing downloads of roughly 300kb or 384kb on a good day, the 144 is just the speed of your home network, so if you had two computers on your network you could transfer files between them at roughly 18meg, but once you go to the internet unless you are paying a fortune for internet your speeds will drop dramatically, more so considering the worldwide average for internet is only around 10meg, so to assume a 144meg line you would probably be in the top 1%, hell at 80meg the speed test ratings places me in the top 2%.
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 06-16-2013, 07:25 PM

I ran the test and at first I got results of 0.2Mbps and then I ran it again and got 0.74Mbps
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 06-16-2013, 07:31 PM

if it's fluctuating that much you have something else on your network/PC sapping your internet speed, to get an accurate speed you need every other online device doing nothing (or off) and the PC doing nothing but running the test. (definitely never have facebook open as that site eats your internet connection)