Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to PatchRowcester Send a message via MSN to PatchRowcester Send a message via Yahoo to PatchRowcester
    Default A Chat Group To Help Newbies Build PCs

Hey fellows,

I recently bought a 780GTX, and I ran into a few issues with it, which ultimately boiled down to me updating the BIOS. At the time, I felt if I had any of the experts from the forum available at hand, life would have been so much easier.

Now, here is the idea that I had, its not very well fleshed out, but please hear me out.

What if we had a process or some sort where someone building a new machine or upgrade components would create a chat session, post the link on the board, and anyone who is active at the time could join the chat if they have the time, and either stay on standby or actively participate in the building process.

Here is a situation for example:

I want to build my a PC. I'll post a chat link on the forum, informing people a little bit ahead of time so anyone interested could join the chat session. As I am building the machine, I could ask any questions and I would get answers almost instantly. It seems to me like that is an amazing thing - someone in the west could be building a machine (like myself), and someone from the UK could help me with my questions instantly. To me, that is harnessing the power of the internet.

Now, I haven't given much thought on how to accomplish this in terms of the software to use as a chat client, how are we going to handle multiple requests for a chat session etc. However, I just wanted to have a discussion going.

In my mind it seems like a really grand idea. Now, I know there is a Steam group already for PCG, but I am not seeing it as an efficient way of handling multiple members asking questions. We won't be able to devote time to a single person, and help them build their dream machine.

so what do you guys think? Is there any merit in this idea? Is it terrible? Let me know.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-14-2013, 04:54 PM

Just use IRC. People can join and quit as they need and people can always idle there with an client or bouncer.

Or you can go on #hardware on freenode.
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 06-16-2013, 06:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to PatchRowcester Send a message via MSN to PatchRowcester Send a message via Yahoo to PatchRowcester

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tr4656 View Post
    Just use IRC. People can join and quit as they need and people can always idle there with an client or bouncer.

Or you can go on #hardware on freenode.
    I have no idea how to get to the IRC channel. Do you happen to have the info?

I am thinking such info would be very helpful here.

Also, I just logged into the hardware channel on Freenode. Lots of activity there. I will post the information here for others.

Thanks for the heads up.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-16-2013, 06:47 PM

the problem is long distance over chat real time assistance can get frustrating for everyone, as it is a lot easier to find a problem if you can actually see something rather than relying on often dodgy descriptions, talking my mate through it we ended up using skype video chat so I could see what he was doing and where he was having problems.

but if you do over the internet text support for random people who don't really know what they are doing it can be a total pain in the arse for everyone involved. it makes you understand why most phone support is useless, but on the other hand get someone who has a basic understanding and you can talk them through it really easily.

where on the likes of a forum at least you can post pictures and such easier.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-16-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatchRowcester View Post
    I have no idea how to get to the IRC channel. Do you happen to have the info?

I am thinking such info would be very helpful here.

Also, I just logged into the hardware channel on Freenode. Lots of activity there. I will post the information here for others.

Thanks for the heads up.
    I don't there there is an IRC channel for PC Gamer yet. The easiest way to create a IRC channel is just to join one (so for example, /join #pcgamer on an IRC server).

I would recommend using an IRC client such as HexChat , Colloquy (on Mac), or irssi. An IRC bouncer such as znc is also quite useful.
    Steam Profile
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 06-16-2013, 07:23 PM

exactly what Tr says you can just try /join #PCgamer then depending on the network you are connected to there is another command you can use to claim the server and set up mod privileges messages and other bits, I can't remember the commands off hand as it's years since I use to be a IRCOP.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 06-16-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    exactly what Tr says you can just try /join #PCgamer then depending on the network you are connected to there is another command you can use to claim the server and set up mod privileges messages and other bits, I can't remember the commands off hand as it's years since I use to be a IRCOP.
    On many networks these days, you usually become OP if its a new channel as long as you are logged in.
    Steam Profile
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 06-16-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tr4656 View Post
    On many networks these days, you usually become OP if its a new channel as long as you are logged in.
    yeah but your generally better of claiming as if you log out it will just chuck the OP to another random person, where claiming it you can setup your self and others you trust to help with people who cause problems, rather than taking the chance on of them gets hold of the channel as you can also auto kick and ban everyone enters the channel making it worthless, unless you can get an IRCOP to go in and reclaim it for you.

it's just generally a good idea to do the claim if you plan on doing it alot (the same with your user name)
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 06-16-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    yeah but your generally better of claiming as if you log out it will just chuck the OP to another random person, where claiming it you can setup your self and others you trust to help with people who cause problems, rather than taking the chance on of them gets hold of the channel as you can also auto kick and ban everyone enters the channel making it worthless, unless you can get an IRCOP to go in and reclaim it for you.

it's just generally a good idea to do the claim if you plan on doing it alot (the same with your user name)
    Yes, thats true. If do you want to be the admin though, you really should use a bouncer or have a bot so it can at least moderate things while you are gone.
    Steam Profile