Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 PM
    Banned

Default TV connected by HDMI not detected

Rewritten since it was apparently hard to understand:

- I have a TV which I want to connect to my PC
    - PC does not detect the TV
    - I have a second installation of windows on the same PC which does detect it (Though the hard-drive its on is dying so continuing to use it is not an option)
    - Drivers are up to date

Hardware:

- Nvidia GTX 460
    - Dell E207WFP primary monitor
    - TV is generic brand 26"

Last edited by Palodin; 10-07-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Rewritten
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 10-07-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
    Evening all, I'm trying to connect my TV (A crappy Argos own brand 26" thing) to my PC via HDMI. The problem is that on the partition I actually want to use it on it simply isn't detected. I have another partition on the same PC where it works just fine, the only difference being the Hard-drive used (Working one uses WD Caviar Black, the problem is on a WD Caviar Green).

Normally I'd simply give up and just use the other parition, but that hard-drive is crapping out so I can't rely on it for too long

What!! - explain again in english - are you trying to say your TV isn't detecting your partition?

Edit : Now we are all confused ...did I write this after your first edit or your second or my third eidt?

Last edited by Tintin; 10-07-2010 at 11:39 PM.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 10-07-2010, 10:43 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
    What!!

- explain again in english -
    If you actually take the time to read it, I assure you that it all makes perfect sense. Still, if I must crop it:

- I have TV I want to connect to my PC
    - PC won't detect it
    - Works fine on second partition on same computer. Only difference is that second parition has a dodgy hard-drive which I intend to remove.

Have updated GPU and Monitor drivers to no avail. Have also just uninstalled and reinstalled said GPU, also no effect. Please advise. Over.

Quote:
    I cannot see what - you wanting to connect a TV to your PC - has do do with a malfuntioning partition...
    Ok, perhaps I'm not being clear. I have two copies of windows on the PC, one on each hard-drive, both Win 7 64-bit (Reasons for this are irrelevant at this time), the TV is detected on one, but not the other. I would just use the one where it is detected, where it not for the fact that the hard-drive that windows is installed to is dying. I'm just mentioning that because as far as I can tell it rules out a hardware issue (At least in GPU terms)

Now look, can you help or are you just going to keep getting confused at me?

Last edited by Palodin; 10-07-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Damn ye boy, editing your posting and making me do the same
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 10-07-2010, 10:54 PM

So You have two different drives - one Black and one Green And not two partitions?

This is the edit after the edit you did to say that it was two drives so you don't need to answer it..

Last edited by Tintin; 10-07-2010 at 11:49 PM.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 10-07-2010, 11:02 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
    Nope - still doesn't make sense.
    Well I don't know what you want then, I've put it in bullets points for you for crying out loud. I realise that partition probably isn't the right term, in fact the whole hard-drive thing isn't really relevant overall. I'm just trying to say that on a different installation of windows on the SAME computer I can detect and use the TV fine. On the installation of windows I WANT to use the TV on, I can't detect it.

I really don't know how to make it more concise for you.

Quote:
    You have two different drives - one Black and one Green

Each has a different OS and one works and the other Doesn't?
    They both have Windows 7 64-bit, the TV is detected on the Caviar Black installation. I want to get it detected on the Caviar Green installation.

Last edited by Palodin; 10-07-2010 at 11:07 PM.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 10-07-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Palodin View Post
    Well I don't know what you want then, I've put it in bullets points for you for crying out loud. I realise that partition probably isn't the right term, in fact the whole hard-drive thing isn't really relevant when push comes to shove. I'm just trying to say that on a different installation of windows on the SAME computer I can detect and use the TV fine. On the installation of windows I WANT to use the TV on, I can't detect it..
    Now your talking ....thats a long way from

Quote:
    I'm trying to connect my TV (A crappy Argos own brand 26" thing) to my PC via HDMI. The problem is that on the partition I actually want to use it on it simply isn't detected. I have another partition on the same PC where it works just fine, the only difference being the Hard-drive used (Working one uses WD Caviar Black, the problem is on a WD Caviar Green).
    So you have two drives with two OS ..one runs your TV fine while the other you get a blank screen?
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 10-07-2010, 11:08 PM

right click on the desktop and select "Nvidia control panel" in the control panel select "setup multiple displays" you should see the tv listed here, if it is not listed click the link between section 1 and 2 "my display is not shown" you can then run the "rigorous display detection" if that fails it will ask you if you want to enable "force television detection" which will make it start spitting out video without worrying about whats on the other end. GL
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 10-07-2010, 11:10 PM

Not sure what's more confusing here, the problem or the edits

Does the TV have any sort of source option where you select what source what you want it to use, is it set to HDMI with both partitions? Does the TV have more than one HDMI?
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 10-07-2010, 11:15 PM

I vote the edits...

So the PC works when you use the Green drive on a normal screen but it won't recognize the TV?
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe Gamer View Post
    right click on the desktop and select "Nvidia control panel" in the control panel select "setup multiple displays" you should see the tv listed here, if it is not listed click the link between section 1 and 2 "my display is not shown" you can then run the "rigorous display detection" if that fails it will ask you if you want to enable "force television detection" which will make it start spitting out video without worrying about whats on the other end. GL
    Tried that earlier, no joy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neoboy View Post
    Not sure what's more confusing here, the problem or the edits

Does the TV have any sort of source option where you select what source what you want it to use, is it set to HDMI with both partitions? Does the TV have more than one HDMI?
    The TV has two HDMI stations, the cable is plugged into HDMI2 and this works with one of my windows installations, the installation I want to use doesn't work with either channel.

Also definetely the edits. I can't see whats so confusing about the problem. I just want to watch things on my TV damnit , not get into a debate about the relevancy of a passing remark about a hard-drive.

Quote:
    So the PC works when you use the Green drive on a normal screen but it won't recognize the TV?
    Pretty much. And the installation on the caviar black (The one thats dying) detects both TV and standard monitor.

Last edited by Palodin; 10-07-2010 at 11:20 PM.