Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Raids and Events > 25 Man Raid Team

#11   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 AM

Red face

Sorry for the wipe on BQL that I caused. If it's any consolation I was kicking myself silly afterwards. Because I am still getting confortable with Fire rotation I panic'ed like a noob and completely brain froze on the second bite. Thanks for killing me Zalid . In Arcane spec I can dps without looking which also means mentality counting to 4 all the time. Hopefully I'll get to the same point in Fire soon.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2010, 09:42 AM

iirc, DPS is the damage you did per second divided by the length of time the fight was runing. Actual DPS is the damage you did while attacking stuff - so this measures your burst I guess. In your case, the time you spend stabbing stuff. Hope that helps Zaev.

I think this is the main difference between Recount and Skada damage meter addons. Recount measures your DPS. Skada measures by actual dps for the length of the whole fight. Hence why they always differ when you run them together.

Last edited by Chewwie; 06-22-2010 at 09:51 AM.
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2010, 11:56 AM

That makes sense Chewwie thanks. So say for Marrowgar, DPS is your dps divided by as long as the fight lasts, but for actual dps it discounts the time where say he goes into bonestorm and you're not hitting him?
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2010, 11:59 AM

lol and I was there but I fail.
    and my dodgy heals...lol
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 PM

Generally speaking, DPS is a bad measure to judge your performance by as a damage dealer on a boss fight. Overal damage done to the boss is a much better measure, so I wouldn't get too hung up on your dps numbers.

Some classes deal damage in different ways. Arcane mages tend to do exceptionally high dps, but their damage still isn't wildly higher than other classes.

Someone could be doing 15k dps, but die in 5 seconds and they would have done less damage to the boss than someone doing 8k who survived for the entire encounter. Remember, dps isn't what kills bosses - damage done is
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 PM

I dunno, I think its a mixture of both. Take fights where the boss moves around alot or has adds, ranged dpsers will have more damage done because they don't have to move around, they can just switch targets and hammer away where as the melee do have to run around thus lowering their damage done.

I think actual dps is the best way to measure it.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2010, 03:22 PM

It is a mixture of both I guess. To use your example Zaev, Lord Marrowgar: it is impossible for a rogue to continue to damage the boss while out of melee range. By contrast, it's hard for a hunter (especially) to keep damaging Marrowgar while within 5 yards of his hitbox. But there's a part of most fights that requires downtime. Deathwhisper is a good example of a fight where there can be considerable downtime when you add up all the target switching.

It's reducing the gap between the two measures that's important - thereby increasing your raid effectiveness. If we simply used actual DPS to measure performance, I could blow all my CD's at the start of the fight, call my pet back and afk for rest of the fight. But, my DPS for the length of the fight would be really low. So, as I said, it's reducing the gap between the 2 by maximising your dps time that counts.

In the end, damage to boss counts most, but that is a rather blunt way to view perfomance, especially when you have so much more from a raid report. Different fights favour the different classes. It's important to look at the bigger picture and not just damage done. The one big thing you're looking for is lazy dps'ers who can put out ridiculous burst and then back off or worse, stop damage, just to 'massage' the dps meters. It is not a dps race, it is a 'lets get the boss down as fast as we can race' :P
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2010, 03:28 PM

I don't agree Chewwie especially with these raid reports we're getting. If someone has good "actual dps" you only have to click into his name and see exactly how the dps was broken down by looking at the graph. So you can see how much of it was actual burst.

Also theres no one in our 25 mans who would use everything at the start and then go afk so I don't think your point is valid.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2010, 05:08 PM

We do have arcane mages who are capable of doing 24k dps for 30 seconds then dying.......
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klogaroth View Post
    We do have arcane mages who are capable of doing 24k dps for 30 seconds then dying.......

What I like about being arcane is that i can do silly damage in short bursts.

Example: During saurfang, i can ramp up to 4 stacks of arcane blast, and save a missile barrage proc for just before the blood beasts spawn. As soon as they spawn I can smack them with about 20k worth of damage in less than 2 seconds to get snap aggro.

You're right that I do less damage when I'm dead though