Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

View Poll Results: Which PC is better for gaming for price and performance?
    Dell XPS 8500 0 0%
    Dell XPS 8300 0 0%
    Other (please post) 3 100.00%
    Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

#11   Report Post  
    Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orkgutz View Post
    Hate that when you spend ages writing a post and someone gets there first
    I'm sorry but what are you guys talking about
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 PM

nothin....lol
    Wrote up a post and Orkgutz beat me to it (by a mile, lol).
    Case:Thermaltake V3 Black Edition||Screen:40" LCD-RCA
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 02-20-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
    Haha no ofc you don't, you're spending a considerable amount of money and I'd think you were a twit if you didn't want to know these things.

The build I've suggested would rip the Dell apart. It has an SSD for faster OS loading times and just overall improved opening times when using Windows. The GTX 670 I've suggested will comfortably beat all of Dell's offerings and the GT640 that you get with the 8500 is terrible for gaming so there's be no point buying it.

I could make a build closer to £700 if you want that would show you what sort of specs you could get at the lower end of your budget if you want, but I strongly advise you wait a little over a month and get the newer kit.

*edit* Most importantly over the Dell all the components I've selected are high quality and reliable whereas Dell (like all prebuilt companies) will cheap out on things like the motherboard and power supply.
    Wow it's been a while and you probably don't remember me haha. Just wondering if you could give me another build. I'd imagine there's been lots more things been released and the price of things will have dropped so things could be a little more affordable now. Been a busy year starting my A-Levels so yeah. Doing A-Level Computing so you'd imagine I know all about what to look for in a PC haha, not yet. But I'd certainly be more confident building one now. Plus if I'm going to do game design at uni in a few years then I'll need a good PC
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 02-20-2014, 07:56 PM

In my opinion, I would avoid companies like Dell and HP, and I would also strongly suggest looking into building the PC yourself. It's quite easy actually, and doesn't require coding or anything else like that.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 02-20-2014, 10:05 PM

If you're happy to build it yourself then that's excellent, what's the budget at now?

Also, will you be needing mouse keyboard, speakers/headset and monitor included in the budget?
    MSI Z77A-GD55
    VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE
    8GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz
    Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD
    Western Digital SATAIII 1TB x2
    Corsair GS700w

My Blog

My Steam
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 02-23-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
    If you're happy to build it yourself then that's excellent, what's the budget at now?

Also, will you be needing mouse keyboard, speakers/headset and monitor included in the budget?
    The budget is roughly the same, £600-£1000. As far as peripherals I'd have to probably include the mouse, keyboard and monitor so I'm pushing it. But the build you gave me last time looks as if it's about £700 now. I've got a pair of tritton AX720's so they'll do for now. You could give me two builds, one with the monitor budget included and the other without.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 02-24-2014, 11:33 AM

[URL="http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2Z9Ae"]This is the build I'd go for[/URL], the GTX770 and i5 combo are as high as you need to go for 1080p and the general quality of components is good.

As for the monitor and peripherals, the screen is a 1080p IPS panel so will do the job nicely and the mouse and keyboard are both good quality pieces of kit.

You can change to Windows 7 if you want, just make sure you get the 64bit version and if you can go slightly over budget then grab a [URL="https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2"]Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO[/URL] as it's much quieter then the intel stock fan.
    MSI Z77A-GD55
    VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE
    8GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz
    Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD
    Western Digital SATAIII 1TB x2
    Corsair GS700w

My Blog

My Steam
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 02-24-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
    [URL="http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2Z9Ae"]This is the build I'd go for[/URL], the GTX770 and i5 combo are as high as you need to go for 1080p and the general quality of components is good.

As for the monitor and peripherals, the screen is a 1080p IPS panel so will do the job nicely and the mouse and keyboard are both good quality pieces of kit.

You can change to Windows 7 if you want, just make sure you get the 64bit version and if you can go slightly over budget then grab a [URL="https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2"]Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO[/URL] as it's much quieter then the intel stock fan.
    Thanks for the build! I noticed that it doesn't come with a sound card or a wireless or wired network adapter. Do I need those are is there something that already has them built in on the current build?
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 PM

a wired network connection and sound are on the motherboard.

a wired network connection from the motherboard is as good as an add in card, the cards are mainly just a way to cash in on people who think it may be better, when in reality they just tie up the PCI bus.

as for sound a dedicated sound card will be better than onboard but that depends a lot on the speakers you are using, if you use cheap low quality speakers you can chuck the best sound card in the world in your PC it will still sound bad. the only real advantage is some have built in amps for headphones and some have the ability to encode on the fly into Dolby or DTS even if the program/game you are using doesn't support dolby/DTS and isn't designed to be ran through a external surround sound system.

so to cut it short, a lan card isn't needed if you can use wired (it's better than wireless anyway) and it's only really worth getting a soundcard if you have good quality speakers or need to send the audio over optical/coaxial to a surround sound reciever.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 02-24-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    a wired network connection and sound are on the motherboard.

a wired network connection from the motherboard is as good as an add in card, the cards are mainly just a way to cash in on people who think it may be better, when in reality they just tie up the PCI bus.

as for sound a dedicated sound card will be better than onboard but that depends a lot on the speakers you are using, if you use cheap low quality speakers you can chuck the best sound card in the world in your PC it will still sound bad. the only real advantage is some have built in amps for headphones and some have the ability to encode on the fly into Dolby or DTS even if the program/game you are using doesn't support dolby/DTS and isn't designed to be ran through a external surround sound system.

so to cut it short, a lan card isn't needed if you can use wired (it's better than wireless anyway) and it's only really worth getting a soundcard if you have good quality speakers or need to send the audio over optical/coaxial to a surround sound reciever.
    So would my tritton ax720's need a sound card. They say on the box that they support virtual 7.1 surround sound and Dolby digital (I think). Had them for a couple of years so I'll probably be upgrading to some Astros or something once I have the money. By the sounds of things I'll need a sound card. If I do which one?

Tags

8300, 8500, dell, minecraft, simcity