Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 AM

Default AMD Radeon HD 7730M + Switchable Graphics

Hey there,

This is a long, frustrating story. I have an Inspiron 15R Special Edition. This particular computer has switchable graphics - I have the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 for everyday stuff and the AMD Radeon HD 7730M for high intensity games. I have the Catalyst Control Center that is supposed to allow you to control when the Radeon card comes into play. (when a certain game launches, etc.) Every since I bought this laptop and installed the Sims 3 + expansion packs I have had mega crashing issues. As I delve into this issue deeper I found out that my Radeon card was completely nonfunctional. The CCC would not launch, and in Device Manager I had a Code 43 under the Radeon's name. I could not update the driver.
    At this point I contacted Dell. They used their DellConnect service and had an employee take over my computer. They ended up uninstalling the card and then reinstalling it. I no longer have the Code 43, CCC works, and the computer found no issues when running diagnostics. I set the Sims 3 to "High Performance" in CCC hoping that my high performance card would take over when I play the game.
    Unfortunately the game still crashes. I have a feeling that the switchable graphics are not switching over and that the Intel card is still doing all of the work. I have done a lot of researching and apparently this certain computer has a lot of issue with the Radeon card and the switchable graphics. Dell is no help.
    I have also contacted EA. (back before I knew about my graphics card) EA blamed the crashes on my system. With talking to Dell, I found that this system should and can play the game fine.

Has anyone had any experience with this graphics issue? I am so frustrated.

Thank you,
    xcftw
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 04-12-2013, 12:01 PM

Default the same prob

yes, i have the same problems with (i think) the graphic cards

I bought the same laptop as you. I use him today a few weeks. Yesterday i installed the latest ac 3... i started the game everything seems to be fine. until i started playing in the world. Enormeous amount off lagging started when i was playing... not normal for a laptop with 3gen core i 7, 8gb of ram and an amd radeon HD 7730M. I put the setting on lowest, but still was the game lagging. running at 10 fps or something like that. I removed the catalyst driver, installed him again. I removed the game, installed it again, using another crack. but still the game was having a huge amount of lagg. Today i thought it was the problem of the torrent file off ac3. I downloaded NFS most wanted 2012. know what I HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF LAGG with that game. This evening i am gonna re-install windows 7 and remove windows 8. i hope that will fix the problemm. but i have my doubts. if anyone can help me, pleas do it... i would be so thankfull

Last edited by szyda; 04-12-2013 at 12:03 PM.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 04-12-2013, 03:23 PM

I have researched and researched. There is an issue with the Inspiron 7520 and the switchable graphics. Dell will not own up to it. Just last night I was on the phone with technical support for over an hour. The technician blamed it on everything under the sun but would not listen to my video card concerns. She would just say, "My advisors say your video card works fine." How would she know? She's on the other end of the phone.

Some professionals say this laptop should run the games, some say it's CPU is too slow. It has an i7 with a 2.20GHz. The game I want to run only needs a 2.24GHz. I would have assumed the i7 would help out some, and most people say it does/will.

I am getting sick of Dell.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 PM

Hey, I don't understand it at all. Youtube is full of movies in which guys are running ac3 on exactly the same device on ultra settings. And game runs smooth as butter. Pfff i don't know what the problem could be. If win7 doens't fix the problem. Dell can fix the problem