Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Eve Online > General Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 09-22-2010, 02:47 PM

Default I am so close...

Hey.

I've tried to get into EVE on no less than three occasions, and each time I get bored and leave my sub to run out, wondering if EVE is ever going to be "for me".

But now, now I feel that I can really make it, and I am super mega close to renewing my subscription and applying to the PCG Corp. I wont ask the utterly pointless question of "is it worth me joining" to a bunch of people who play the game, because the obvious consensus is going to be "we have a great time, but it's not for everyone". I'm getting the feeling that it is a game that is stupendously boring if you try to play it like a single-player space-mining sim (which is what I've done before), so I really just have a few questions.

How welcoming is the Corp to noobs?

Obviously starting off in a rubbish ship with no skills, how long will it be until I'm actively able to take part in Corp activities? I think I will struggle to solo for a month or two.

Will I get a free hat?

Thanks in advance for your replies, you sexy space-dogs you.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 09-22-2010, 02:58 PM

PCGE is a very very noob friendly corp. Most of the corp is made up of noobs - just finding their way through space together.

So you'd fit right in. =P

(The hat is in the post)
    [SteamID : Sneaklemming]-[Starcraft II : Sneaklemming#825]-[Eve Online : Sneak Lemming]
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 09-22-2010, 03:00 PM

Speaking as more of a noob than you (since you've played EVE before), I can say that PCGE is very welcoming towards noobs, actively encouraging them to jump into the action. I was in an L4 in my little Destroyer having a right laugh before my application had even been accepted! The guys are very friendly and I'm certainly enjoying the EVE trial period that I have.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 09-22-2010, 03:14 PM

Hey Impale.

First off as a Corp we're very friendly to noobs. We are at war currently which depending on your outlook isn't the best environment for a new player to start the game, although it does highlight Eve's status as a sandbox game and one where if you build a sandcastle someone bigger than you is going to try and kick it down for no apparent reason, so if kicking down other peoples sandcastles appeals to you read on.

Secondly how long it take is partly down to what you want to do as a group:

PvP? A few days to start contributing either as a tackler where you hold someone in place while others damage them or using electronic warfare to stop enemies damage your friends within a couple of days. Don't expect to setting the universe alight straight away though you'll lose plenty of ships, but it's fun as long as you: "Fly what you can afford to lose" which should probably be emblazoned on Eve's login page.

Mining? Well there are mining frigates/cruisers to use or industrials to help transport the ore that would take under a week to train for, but ultimately you'll want to get yourself a mining barge which would take a couple of weeks.

Missions? There are plenty of routes to take here you could help a corp mate in the large Level 4 missions through salvaging or join a group of people for Level 2/3/4s to get the done faster all of which would only take you a few weeks.

Eve seems intimidating from the outset, but complete the tutorials as well as the Epic Arc they send you off on and you'll find you have a decent chunk of isk in your back pocket and can start trying things out to see what you enjoy.

Free hats are available and tailored to your specifications. I myself have a fine pink, fur lined cowboy hat that strikes fear into the hearts of my enemies

Last edited by Jaras; 09-22-2010 at 03:20 PM.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 PM

This is my second attempt at EVE and I found it so much more enjoyable this time around. I believe that is very much down to being in PCGE with other noobs and some more experienced players to help guide us.
    Also there is pie
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 09-22-2010, 03:32 PM

Pie?

That seals the deal.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 PM

There's pie? Where's mine? Seriously Eve can be fun and with PCGE it's excellent, a lot of us older players can and will happily take newer players with them on the more advanced missions.

As for Mining, if you team up with me when I'm mining (which I will let people know in Corp chat) then not only will I give you a boost to your own mining capabilities, but I'll haul it, refine it and get you the best deal you could hope to get for your ore cos I'll buy it off you, or you can I believe sell it to the corp (though I don't know that for sure).
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 09-22-2010, 03:45 PM

Join us - we have pie!

Quote Buceph 12/08/2010 "No we think you're uneducated. Not insane."
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rastan View Post
    Join us - we have pie!
    No we don't...I'm sorry to say that Spatula found the key to the kitchen.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 09-22-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAeN View Post
    No we don't...I'm sorry to say that Spatula found the key to the kitchen.
    Quick chef! get on it

Quote Buceph 12/08/2010 "No we think you're uneducated. Not insane."