Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 PM

Default PC stuck in BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO restart loop

Hey,

I've just built my first PC and i'm having trouble with it. I've already got a thread on here about my graphics card but now my PC is stuck in a perpetual restarting loop!

It's been crashing and restarting the last few days but today after another crash, Windows 8 said that it didn't start properly and gave me a list options. I chose to "Refresh Windows". I put the installation disc in and it seemed to "Refresh". I think it restarted again and took me back to the menu where i had all the original choices of what to do. I can't remember exactly.

Well, anyway, now when it boots and i get a brief glimpse of the motherboard splash screen, the Windows logo and then the BSOD! It appears very briefly now but when i took the Windows install disc out, it was visible long enough for me to see the error message: "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO".

Then the PC restarts automatically! And the process starts all over again! Please help!
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 02-07-2013, 04:52 PM

Try the updated and more stable version, Windows 7.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 02-07-2013, 05:01 PM

Tbh, i'm tempted to!
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 PM
    Banned

It seems quite likely that the problem is your hard-drive:

[url]http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/993433-solved-bad_system_config_info.html[/url]

I'd try completely reformatting first, not just windows 8 refresh option, I don't know how extensive that actually is. Don't forget to backup any files you can, etc etc, a linux live CD might help accomplishing that if you can't get into windows, or mounting the primary drive in another PC.

Last edited by Palodin; 02-07-2013 at 05:10 PM.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 02-12-2013, 06:18 PM

I mounted the drive in my old PC and formatted it. I then reinstalled Windows 8 and it now seems to be running fine! Thanks, Palodin!

I did delete a system partition off my other hard drive though. I think this is one which Windows 8 installed as it wasn't there before I built my PC.

I did this because, I tried reinstalling Windows before deleting the partition and it kept saying that I was upgrading the OS, not reinstalling it. After using it for a few hours, I got a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION blue screen. I ran a Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and it said the RAM was fine. I'm guessing deleting this partition has made the difference, but I removed it from Custom install branch of the Windows 8 install disk, so I was still getting told I was upgrading rather than (re)installing. I can't think where else the system info would be though!

I'm wondering though: is there a chance my SSD could fail again? And is it worth just getting it replaced while it's still under warranty?
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 PM

What SSD is this?

I would use CrystalDiskInfo and check the health of the SSD.
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 AM

It's an OCZ Vertex 4 - 256Gb. It's actually doing it again. I'll run that program though just to make sure it's the SSD and not Windows 8 or anything.