Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > General Articles

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2010, 09:22 AM

Default Loremaster, do you really want it?

Hi guys, having just achieved the coveted title I thought I'd start this thread for two purposes, the first is to warn any aspiring Loremasters of the unbelievable time commitment you are going to have to put into achieving it. But secondly so that I and other Loremasters can help and advise aspirants where they might be going wrong, after all, we have been there and we have done that.

So what are my initial tips that I can supply off the top of my head?

1) The old world is a killer. If you're level 80 the quests are easy but there's so many, over 1300 quests for the two continents comined. Eastern Kingdoms is by far the easiest to complete, it's straightforward and easy to follow the quest chains, and there are few chains that start on Kalimdor.

Kalimdor however is a pain. There are chains that start here, go to Eastern Kingdoms and then come back. Don't drop a chain until it's finished otherwise you'll be sitting at 680 quests and scratching your head to figure out where to go next. And don't forget the drop quests, they are everywhere, use them. Also remember the turtle in Tanaris, well there's an example of some of the out of the way quests you are going to have to find and do to accomplish this achievement on this continent.

Dungeons, make sure you've got all the quests before you go in and do them, you can get lists of all quests applicable to a dungeon from the information portals (wiki, Wowhead, alakhazam etc), if you don't you will have to do the dungeons again and again until you've done them.

2) Outland is easier. In fact it's simple compared to the organisational mess of Azeroth. There's an easy path to follow from Hellfire onwards. Very few drop quests. Plus you can fly here, and this means you can simply drop in and say hi to quest objectives.

3) Ok now we're approaching your level, mobs get harder to kill, quests take longer to do as a result. Beware, when you get to Icecrown the last 40 quests nearly all involve killing Elite bosses with 100k to 300k health. This is where the cloth classes may need to bat their eyelashes at a friendly tank. But you can get through it fairly fast if you can take the damage.

If you want to know more feel free to ask me if I'm online, and if I can remember I will help, or post questions further in this thread and I or another Loremaster (if they're in a good mood) will try to help.

Good luck aspiring Loremasters, it's a long road.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2010, 09:37 AM

I am still umming and ahhing about getting this completed on Twi. I've done all outland and northrend quests. I need old world. i'm about 4-500 quests short. i've got a lot to do and the frustrating thing is not flying - especially when you've epic flight form!

this achievy will probably vanish or become a feat of strength when cata comes so maybe i'll pull my finger out!

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2010, 12:40 PM

If I had any advice it would be this:
    Use some sort of quest mod. I personllay use every-quest and lightheaded.

[URL="http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/everyquest.aspx"]http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/everyquest.aspx[/URL]

[URL="http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info7017-LightHeaded.html"]http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info7017-LightHeaded.html[/URL]

Get some good podcasts or audio books to listen to - you'll be running around a /lot/ so occupying your brain will help keep you going. I personally find watching tv to dramatically slow my questing but if you're not as simple as me you might be able to do that too.

Once you hit the higher level zones, try reading the quest text - the lore of places like the plaguelands and felwood might interest you, and some of it ties into later expansions. Remember that achievement points are just fluff - apart form the title you get nothing out of it, so try and enjoy the journey. There are some really fantastic quest lines at lower levels you mihgt never have seen.

Break up the task into smaller chunks - so aim to get a whole zone done, or complete 50 quests in an evening. This way you make a mammoth task much more manageable!
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taurumon View Post
    Hi guys, having just achieved the coveted title
    Grats on joining the masochists club

I'll have to disappoint you regarding Dungeon quests. 90% of them do not give any Loremaster increases, frustratingly. The few that do are the chain quests and tier gear quests iirc.
    Totally agree regarding Kalimdor. It is a real pain. And the area where you will get the most frustrated.
    Some, if not all, of the festival quests do count towards Loremaster. So these are worth checking out when they come around.
    Outland is not bad at all especially with flying. The only one that can prove a little troublesome is Blades Edge. You will probably find you need to tackle some elites to finish this zone.
    Definitely get the addons Akee has linked. I did most of the old world before I found Everyquest. What a difference that addon made. But, be prepared to do a lot of reading. There are numerous quests you will not be able to do that the addon shows as available due to your race/profession/other quets you have done.
    Do not make getting Loremaster your main objective. Do it while waiting for randoms/raids/other things. If you have not done a lot of the quests, they can be either fun/stupid/dreary. The one benefit of doing the old world when at 80 is the speed you can get through the quests.
    All in all, just have fun. Once Cata comes out, the old world will never be the same. So enjoy your travels here while it's still in one piece.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2010, 02:59 PM

Loremaster was the hardest achivement I have completed. I heard it's a lot easier now with EveryQuest.

On top of the advise above I will add that Blades Edge in Outland is a right pain because you need rep with Ogri'la to open up about 25% of the quests. Plan to do this early or you will get stumped like I was.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zalid View Post
    Grats on joining the masochists club

I'll have to disappoint you regarding Dungeon quests. 90% of them do not give any Loremaster increases, frustratingly.
    This wasn't my experience, but maybe the next aspirant can check and confirm or deny
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taurumon View Post
    This wasn't my experience, but maybe the next aspirant can check and confirm or deny
    oo-er, that'll be my next task then.

thanks for the addon advice. I'll defo give them a look see.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2010, 09:14 PM

I'm struggling in Nagrand tbh.
    I simply cannot find any quests in there at all now, are they linked to blades edge at all?
    I'm pretty sure I did the really long Mag'har chain but if i didnt, god knows where the next part is cos it certainly isnt in Nagrand.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 06-19-2010, 03:16 AM

There are some quests that you can do as a result of a quest chain starting in the Shadowmoon Valley Scryer or Aldor enclaves. They are probably what you are missing to complete Nagrand.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 06-19-2010, 09:01 AM

There is a dude just inside terro south of Shatt that has some quests these also lead back to Nagrand

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012