Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

View Poll Results: Touch is ___, worth spending ___ extra.
    Necessary (+$300 / +10%) 1 7.69%
    a Luxury (+$150 / +5%) 0 0%
    an Extra (+$75 / +2.5%) 1 7.69%
    Pointless (+$0 / +0%) 11 84.62%
    Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

#11   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by graven2002 View Post
    Although there isn't anything right now that necessitates having a touch screen, between the current software trends and the ecosystem MS is encouraging, it's only a matter of time before there are plenty of experiences that would be severely degraded by the lack of touch.

I've played around quite a bit with touch screen laptops and Win8 and feel more comfortable using the screen than the trackpad for many interactions (especially using gestures).
    It was much more intuitive to reach up a tap / grab, than to mouse over with the new interface.

This will be the primary machine for our household; ideally, I want it to be capable of anything.
    I guess I can see how this fits. It personally isn't for me because I mostly do dev work on my laptop so I want something that has IPS 1080 or above screen with SSD.

I don't really have any need for touch screen since i already own tablets so at the very least, it would add additional cost or compromise other features (such as nonIPS screen).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    that's because windows 8 was designed to combat Android and iOS rather than be a PC operating system, it's why they use the same UI in the phones and tablets, they went for a one size fits all UI.

as for this being the way forward the designer for Win 8 "left MS of his own free will" not long after release.
    Honestly, you can just use desktop version of Windows. I do find metro Evernote to be somewhat cool although its not necessary.
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile

Tags

gaming laptop, touch, windows 8