Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 02:14 PM

Default Gay Marriage

Thought I'd make this thread since the argument about gay marriage is heating up here in Britain what with the government about to legalize it. I'd like to hear peoples' opinions.

I personally can't see a single thing wrong with it, I literally can't come up with one single reason NOT to allow gay people to marry in the same way a heterosexual couple can marry. The main reason people don't want to allow it is basic human hatred of anybody that's different but they quite often hide behind that famous book of fairy tales they call the bible in their opposition to it. It's difficult to argue with these people as they're not really sane or rational, they just burn and seethe with hatred and bigotry.

Another group it's difficult to argue with is the fairly large amount of men who aren't religious but oppose gay marriage and homosexuality in general because a lot of men feel they need to constantly remind everybody that they are not gay and prove it by publicly hating and deriding homosexuals at every opportunity. These are usually the same type of men who'll vote for the BNP/EDL, drink Stella and enjoy a good session of beating up the girlfriend because the gravy is too thick or too runny.

Another common argument is that it cheapens marriage. No, it doesn't. To me marriage is about two people who genuinly love each other making a commitment to be honest and faithful and so on. What cheapens marriage is divorce and infidelity. Religion does not have a monopoly on marriage, it existed for thousands of years before Christianity was invented by old men on shrooms.

Then of course you've got your Daily Mail-type arguments such as "It infringes on religious freedom!!!" and the classic "I'm not gay, but....". Also you'll find some crap on there from commenters about how all gay men are paedophiles and other typical racist, sexist, homophobic middle-England "arguments".

What's your view?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 02:22 PM

Whilst I agree that homosexuals should be allowed to get married, I don't think that its right to force religious organisations to perform the ceremonies.
    One thing I am curiosu about, when a homosexual couple get divorced, how do they decide who gets the house? And who pays alimony/maintenance to who?
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    And who pays alimony/maintenance to who?
    It's probably decided with dramatically less gender stereotyping and greater attention to the needs and characters of those involved

Holy Cow - Warren Spector
    Life is too fucking short to hear or play Freebird - Isaac Brock
    I hope I see you later, where everybody's okay - Randy Brewer
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
    Whilst I agree that homosexuals should be allowed to get married, I don't think that its right to force religious organisations to perform the ceremonies.
    One thing I am curiosu about, when a homosexual couple get divorced, how do they decide who gets the house? And who pays alimony/maintenance to who?
    That's the beauty of it... the government is planning to legalize gay marriage but still giving churches the right to refuse to marry homosexual couples if they want to. Somehow, though, this is still an infringement on religious freedoms!!!!!
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 02:34 PM

I think it's time to take the importance out of marriage and put it more into civil partnerships.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 02:40 PM

There are no valid criticisms to gay marriage. Absolutely none. One person's religion shouldn't be able to impact another person's happiness.

And honestly, I think we should be forcing Churches to marry any couple, or take away their power in marrying people all together. The thing is, not every gay person hates religion. There are many, many religious people who cannot be married in a Church that refuses to accept them because of one thing.

Being gay was a very, very minor part of the Bible. It was only a few passages here and there about it, and an important thing to note is that things such as Divorce and wearing mixed fibres are also outlaws in the Bible. Should the Church be able to turn away people who have already been married once? How about if the dress is made of multiple fabrics? It's cherrypicking and it should be stopped.

Oh, and for those people who aren't religious and are still against gay marriage... do you find every single woman in the world attractive? No? Well not every gay person finds you attractive, either.

If we want equality for all people, you can't make exceptions like this.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
    to be fair a divorce in the UK everything gets split the only maintenance really paid is if there is a child involved then this is paid to the parent who mainly has the kid.

so really it makes no difference other than no unfair practice where the woman will nearly always get the kid after a split.

so if anything same sex mirages makes it easier to split as you take out the bias and really sexist practices used in most court settlements.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alm View Post
    I think it's time to take the importance out of marriage and put it more into civil partnerships.
    Why? A marriage doesn't have to be a religious affair. Like I said in my OP, religion does not have a monopoly on it. As an Atheist if I ever got married it'd be totally devoid of religion in all its shapes and forms but it'd be just as valid.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parlock
    Being gay was a very, very minor part of the Bible. It was only a few passages here and there about it, and an important thing to note is that things such as Divorce and wearing mixed fibres are also outlaws in the Bible. Should the Church be able to turn away people who have already been married once? How about if the dress is made of multiple fabrics? It's cherrypicking and it should be stopped.

Oh, and for those people who aren't religious and are still against gay marriage... do you find every single woman in the world attractive? No? Well not every gay person finds you attractive, either.
    Yeah, I was saying those very things when I was discussing it with some family earlier. Don't forget planting two crops of different types next to each other, that's a stoneable offence! But yeah it is serious cherry picking on the part of religious folks and is clear proof that their opposition is based on nothing but primal hatred of anybody that's different to them rather than based on religion because if their opposition was derived from the bible then they'd be opposed to so, so many things that they'd never be able to live, they'd be protesting 24 hours a day. They've zoned in on that particular hatred and it proves they're merely homophobes hiding behind religion.

Also I believe the Catholics are planning a protest march against the plan to legalize gay marriage, either planning it or it's happening/happened today. Funny how they haven't been protest marching about the sodomy of boys by priests that is so widespread in the Catholic faith.

Last edited by Dayve; 01-13-2013 at 02:48 PM.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 02:43 PM
    Banned

Marriage is fine, gay adoption though is another thing.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    Why? A marriage doesn't have to be a religious affair. Like I said in my OP, religion does not have a monopoly on it. As an Atheist if I ever got married it'd be totally devoid of religion in all its shapes and forms but it'd be just as valid.
    But on the other hand, if Churches can refuse gay marriage in the name of "religious freedom", that takes away the religious freedom of a gay person to get married. What is better, for the individual to have religious freedom, or the few people at the top to decide what is religious freedom for everyone else?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cartoon Head
    Marriage is fine, gay adoption though is another thing.
    Why? Are you against single-parent families as well?