Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#31   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barbarossa66 View Post
    I would've been surprised to have seen you list more than 1 RPG that doesn't follow this theme.

The Witcher 2. That has no super natural Suaron type evil guy threatening everyone, rather a bunch of Kings, Emperors and Sorceress conspiring and playing politics. As Gearalt you just get caught up in it.

Also there is nothing wrong with the hero saves the world from darkness theme. But we could use some more of the other stuff.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks

Last edited by Daniel; 01-18-2013 at 10:19 PM.
      #32   Report Post  
    Old 01-19-2013, 04:45 AM

Many rpgs have an advantage here because of how they involve you with the characters and the story. I think the death of Aerith in FF7 is still probably the most iconic example, and interestingly one of the first times many people admitted they got emotional over a game. What about more subtle emotions though? Dear Esther, there's an experience, there is so much you feel while walking around the island. Much of it starts with curiosity and intrigue and then there is the growing sense of loneliness and pity. More overtly there are games like Amnesia which fill you with terror. Me personally, I like letting myself get lost in things that feel larger than life. Mass Effect 3 gave me that when all the fleets arrive at earth, it just felt awesome seeing it in a "this is everything you worked for" type moment.

As a musician and student of psychoacoustics, I'll also point out that such a huge part of these connections can be the proper sound and score to immerse you.
      #33   Report Post  
    Old 01-19-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aervalis View Post
    As a musician and student of psychoacoustics, I'll also point out that such a huge part of these connections can be the proper sound and score to immerse you.
    This, just this.
    Everyone underestimates the ability of sound to properly place you inside the movie/game. I don't have super high end headphones, but my Sennheisers have these "acoustic reflectors" in them which really enhances the soundstage and makes everything feel important.
    In addition, in some games I sometimes swap out the soundtrack files with tracks that I think are more suited.
      #34   Report Post  
    Old 01-19-2013, 06:08 PM

I haven't played that many games that I got emotionally attached to, and no game has made me hate a character as much as Stephen King did in Under the Dome.

Mass Effect 2/3 are the two games that got me utterly hooked, and had two massive stand out points.

SPOILERS FOR ME2 OVERLORD
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spoilers
    At the end, when you have to decide whether or not to release David, Gavins dialogue made me feel utterly sorry for him. He was a guy stuck in possibly the shittest place in a story I've ever seen
    SPOLIERS FOR ME3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spoilers
    If you've saved Kelly at the end of ME2, you meet her in the Citadel docks. While chatting to her you realise she's still utterly freaked out about what happened to her. After the mission Priority: Citadel II, if you didn't tell her to change her identity, you overhear two refugees talking about how she was executed by a Cerberus trooper. Emotionally for me it was for me the best part of the series.
    And the ending of ME3 was nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be.

There's also many many games that have had me laughably unattached to the story. (Supreme Commander, I did not give a shit what magic space princess wanted.)

I've always wanted to give Planescape Torment a go, but never got round to it. I've only heard good things about it so should probably remedy that soon.
      #35   Report Post  
    Old 01-19-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
    And the ending of ME3 was nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be.
    The ending after the patch by no means was terrible, but after seeing all the other endings in the previous 2 and promises that my actions will influence the game in a big way as oppose to having additional forces, it did feel a little disappointed that the final ending you choose merely boiled down to just 3 choices not entirely influenced by actions from the previous games. Hell play good in the ME3 and i would have got the same ending if i played good throughout the entire series.
      #36   Report Post  
    Old 01-28-2013, 08:46 PM

The one that did it for me was Half Life 2 Episode 2. At the part where (*SPOILER ALERT*) the Combine bug has you pinned up against the wall and kills Eli Vance, I was literally slamming my mouse on the desk in frustration and rage. So emotional.
      #37   Report Post  
    Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mindtaker View Post
    The one that did it for me was Half Life 2 Episode 2. At the part where (*SPOILER ALERT*) the Combine bug has you pinned up against the wall and kills Eli Vance, I was literally slamming my mouse on the desk in frustration and rage. So emotional.
    Was sad indeed
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #38   Report Post  
    Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mindtaker
    Was sad indeed
    but on the plus side... i got the garden gnome into space, so vance didn't die in vain. Alyx took comfort in that. Sure she was mostly screaming and throwing things, but deep down, i knew she was proud of that little rocket man....

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #39   Report Post  
    Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    but on the plus side... i got the garden gnome into space, so vance didn't die in vain. Alyx took comfort in that. Sure she was mostly screaming and throwing things, but deep down, i knew she was proud of that little rocket man....
    That is on my list of things to do before I die.
      #40   Report Post  
    Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM

The Mass Effect series really moved me emotionally. Also as silly as it sounds, I cried during Halo Reach. I know that it is a shooter, but the story of loss of Noble Team really moved me.