Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#21   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 AM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

If you are capable of caring about the characters in FC3 you must be broken in the head.
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2013, 08:16 PM

Amnesia: The Dark Descent redefined the boundaries of video games for me. Before that game I had only ever condescendingly considered games high art with maybe only a couple of exceptions. I feel that that game accomplished something emotionally that could not be done on another medium. You'll have to play it to understand what I mean outside of the terror, helplessness, constant uneasiness, and desire to turn around knowing that forward is the only way out.

There are a few other games that had similar emotional impact on me, but they may have been better if turned into a book. The most notable of these are TESIII: Morrowind and Planescape: Torment. Morrowind may not be easily accomplished in book form just because a lot of the interest for me was drawn from the small books of lore and such contained in the game. The gods and demigods of that game caused much turmoil that was not duplicated in the least in Oblivion especially Vivec, Amelexia, Azura, and Boethiah.

Edit: JRPGs always compelled me solely on story. Most that I have played have told awesome stories that are emotionally compelling. Any of the Final Fantasy games, even 10 and 7(not my favorites of the series, in 7 I was more attached to Sephiroth than Aeria(sp?)); Chrono Trigger and Cross, Secret of Mana, Xenogears, and many more were very great stories.

Last edited by Barbarossa66; 01-18-2013 at 08:25 PM.
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barbarossa66 View Post

Edit: JRPGs always compelled me solely on story. Most that I have played have told awesome stories that are emotionally compelling. Any of the Final Fantasy games, even 10 and 7(not my favorites of the series, in 7 I was more attached to Sephiroth than Aeria(sp?)); Chrono Trigger and Cross, Secret of Mana, Xenogears, and many more were very great stories.

I just don't get the love for JRPGs. I mean their stories aren't that great are they? They pretty much all boil down to "THE WORLD IS UNDER THREAT FROM SOMETHING BAD. OUR ONLY HOPE IS THIS EMO, GENDER CONFUSED TEENAGER WITH STUPID HAIR. HE / SHE / IT WILL SAVE US ALL"

Last edited by Cataclysmic; 01-18-2013 at 08:46 PM.
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cataclysmic View Post
    I just don't get the love for JRPGs. I mean their stories aren't that great are they? They pretty much all boil down to "THE WORLD IS UNDER THREAT FROM SOMETHING BAD. OUR ONLY HOPE IS THIS EMO, GENDER CONFUSED TEENAGER WITH STUPID HAIR. HE / SHE / IT WILL SAVE US ALL"
    Aren't all games loosely based on that premiss though? You know apart from simulators, sports games and driving games (you know, cause driving isn't a real sport)?
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cataclysmic View Post
    I just don't get the love for JRPGs. I mean their stories aren't that great are they? They pretty much all boil down to "THE WORLD IS UNDER THREAT FROM SOMETHING BAD. OUR ONLY HOPE IS THIS EMO, GENDER CONFUSED TEENAGER WITH STUPID HAIR. HE / SHE / IT WILL SAVE US ALL
    That's what they became with 3D. Pre-3D there was very little of that, and at the very least is was so hard to notice that it was irrelevant. The games were built on top of their writing. With the advances in visuals developers started to put more and more effort into creating an aesthetically stunning game, and writing was often left behind in the process.
    The other problem is that people so often think of FF when JRPGs are mentioned. No thought is ever given for your Lost Oddesseys, Fire Emblems, Resonance of Fate, etc. There has been a lot of great JRPGs in the modern era, but the public, and news sites, only focus on the 2 F's.

Ni No Kuni looks to be the first JRPG in a long time to steal the attention away from Squeenix, and good on it, it looks like a phenomenal game.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cartoon Head View Post
    (you know, cause driving isn't a real sport)
    Poop on you.
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cartoon Head View Post
    (you know, cause driving isn't a real sport)?
    Let's be friends
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 PM

Yup, I hear you on that. The main characters in FF7-10 were bothersome to say the least. Not all of them are like that though thankfully. Most JRPGs are about young males(usually about 16) though and I suppose its fairly correct on the modern youth.

Yes though, a lot of the JRPG stories are fantastic (in a couple of ways). And yes its always the world is under threat from something bad, but most RPGs are like that with very few exceptions. I credit Planescape's veering from that typical plot for its unique story and successive praise.

I would've been surprised to have seen you list more than 1 RPG that doesn't follow this theme.
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barbarossa66 View Post
    Yup, I hear you on that. The main characters in FF7-10 were bothersome to say the least. Not all of them are like that though thankfully. Most JRPGs are about young males(usually about 16) though and I suppose its fairly correct on the modern youth.

Yes though, a lot of the JRPG stories are fantastic (in a couple of ways). And yes its always the world is under threat from something bad, but most RPGs are like that with very few exceptions. I credit Planescape's veering from that typical plot for its unique story and successive praise.

I would've been surprised to have seen you list more than 1 RPG that doesn't follow this theme.
    Dragon Age 2 didn't have an end of the world type plot (that I could follow anyway) it was more like Last of the Summer Wine than an epic story.
      #29   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 PM

Cartoon Head, I meant listed in keeping with the discussion of the thread and also prior to the making of that point. Also Dragon Age 2 is not more than 1 and it is in fact a sequel to the game that I consider to be the worst offender of this rule. I could barely tolerate the darkspawn or the game in general. Emotional impact? Maybe if frustration and anger with the game itself counts. It doesn't even manage to tell an interesting story.
      #30   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 PM

The (good) ending of Bioshock 2 nearly made me cry. Though it always feels like an unnecessary corporate cash-in I will give it that. Judge me if you like but I'm a sentimental bastard.

On a similarly unpopular note I got the same reaction from the extended 'synthesis' ending of Mass Effect 3. It was EDI's face in the last scene that got me: emotion.
    Plus it was kind of the end of an era and to Bioware's credit I've never actually cared about or felt like I somehow had a rapport with video game characters like I did in Mass Effect.