Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#11   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magirush View Post
    Biggest surprise: Far Cry 3 To tell you the truth, I really didn't expect much from FC3. Maybe that's why it was so good; I was able to let my barriers down because I was expecting to be bored.
    After enjoying FC2 so much I was expecting quite a bit from it... maybe that's why it was so head-bendingly crap.

Quote:
    Everyone loves to mock the opening scene where you hang with your dudebros, but to me that really sets the stage for the whole experience. The opening part lets you empathize slightly with a normal person having a normal vacation before everything gets turned upside down.
    They mock the opening scene for a reason. I almost had a stroke watching that pile of visual vomit. It's so obviously designed to appeal to douchebag teenage boys.

Quote:
    I also loved all the little reactions to things in the beginning, like when Jason freaks out when his brother stabs the pirate. It's very believable for someone who had probably never even been in a fistfight.
    Yeah, I loved the reactions too. They made me laugh. Like when his brother grabs one of his captors and bangs his head in to a flimy bamboo cage and the douchebag rich kid says "Oh my God, he's dead!".

First of all, how the hell do you know he's dead? You haven't checked his pulse. Second of all, why the hell would you think he's dead? All he did was lightly bang his head in to the flimsiest bamboo cage I've ever seen in my life. That wouldn't harm a premature baby!

Quote:
    Another part that was brilliant was when Jason gets his tattoo for the first time
    Ah yes, the tattahw. The tattahw that gives you superpowers.

Quote:
    When it first dropped me into the open world with only a pistol
    When it first dropped you, a 20-year old rich douchebag with absolutely no combat experience whatsoever, in to a dangerous and harsh world full of pirates and cutthroats... you instantly become Rambo, are able to dispatch groups of savage, highly experienced pirates and gangsters and withstand a grenade to the face thanks to the mighty tattahw.

Blah blah. Far Cry 3 was the most piss-poor game of 2012.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xJakex068 View Post
    The legend of zelda ocarina of time was probably the only game that really had me emotionally attached. Not to any certain characters in the game or anything. More an emotional connection to hyrule and the evil things that were happening to it.
    The music alone of a zelda game is enough to get me all pumped full of energy
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    After enjoying FC2 so much I was expecting quite a bit from it... maybe that's why it was so head-bendingly crap.

They mock the opening scene for a reason. I almost had a stroke watching that pile of visual vomit. It's so obviously designed to appeal to douchebag teenage boys.

Yeah, I loved the reactions too. They made me laugh. Like when his brother grabs one of his captors and bangs his head in to a flimy bamboo cage and the douchebag rich kid says "Oh my God, he's dead!".

First of all, how the hell do you know he's dead? You haven't checked his pulse. Second of all, why the hell would you think he's dead? All he did was lightly bang his head in to the flimsiest bamboo cage I've ever seen in my life. That wouldn't harm a premature baby!

Ah yes, the tattahw. The tattahw that gives you superpowers.

When it first dropped you, a 20-year old rich douchebag with absolutely no combat experience whatsoever, in to a dangerous and harsh world full of pirates and cutthroats... you instantly become Rambo, are able to dispatch groups of savage, highly experienced pirates and gangsters and withstand a grenade to the face thanks to the mighty tattahw.

Blah blah. Far Cry 3 was the most piss-poor game of 2012.
    Nope /5char
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 10:58 PM

@Dayve
    I agree with you, I really do. I can play Far Cry 3 now and be thoroughly bored, in fact I got bored within 30 minutes of playing it. It's just that that first bit really surprised me. You are right that it is calculated to appeal to teenage boys, but it spoke to me inner teenage boy in a way that nothing else has. And it did so by, for a brief moment, by being a good game. That all passed when I realized just how easy everything was, and I'm not trying to say that it is in general a good game-just that for 20 minutes, it briefly impacted me.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 PM

Probably would say Planescape: Torment, I got really emotianally attached to the characters of that game. Not sure if I should say disclaimer possible spoiler, although that's questionable.

I think one of the earlier dialogues of the game when Deionarra says "You! What is it that brings *you* here?! Have you come to see first-hand the misery you have wrought? Perhaps in death I still hold some shred of use for you...?""...my Love.'"

For me that is the most moving lines I have ever heard in a game. amazing voice acting.

The story itself and the main character's former lives and how that unravels is brilliant also, makes you question the main character on a moral level, since some of his previous lives were quite malicious and nasty.. he seems to leave a trail of destruction wherever he goes.

The music is also great, very memorable and sad.

And the ending along with the cinematic is just beautiful, I love unhappy endings they give a story so much more depth.

The game is a masterpiece.

Last edited by Boa; 01-13-2013 at 11:39 PM.
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 AM

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned To the Moon yet. More story than game, it's an interactive experience with enough emotional resonance to still have an effect weeks later.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 AM

Thank you everyone for your recommendations, I will check out all of them.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostman View Post
    I'm surprised no-one's mentioned To the Moon yet. More story than game, it's an interactive experience with enough emotional resonance to still have an effect weeks later.
    That's my next game I'll be playing!

The game that's had me a bit chocked up as of late would be "Heavy Rain". One of the few games that had me gripped from start to finish like some brilliant novel.

If any of you haven't given it a go I urge you do, if you like a good crime thriller. It reminded of 7even in a way. It's something every adult gamer should at least try.

I say adult as I seriously doubt it'll really work for a younger age of gamers..

..Heh, having kids does help an all mind you when you consider the content of that game. I find that games that strike a chord with certain people will no doubt always play on their mind somehow. But that's obvious.. :P

"What if that happend to me" mentality.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostman View Post
    I watched some videos of a playthrough, about halfway through I started crying like a little girl, the story is so beautiful.

Other games that have impacted, Final Fantasy 7 comes to mind, especially the aeries scene and Red XIII's story

Valkyria Chronicles - Love the story and the art style

Metal Gear franchise - kinda obvious reasons after growing up playing Metal gear solid on Ps1, was probably one of the 1st games with proper story and storytelling that I played back then.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2013, 12:39 AM

Seems like everyone is just saying how crap FC3 was but aside from the flaws it has did anyone actually really let themselves get truly immersed into the story? I mean sure one second Jason is saying "oh crap oh crap" at someone dead and the next shooting up a pirate camp but look beyond that and there is real character development. The relationship between Jason and Liza is believable and and you can see the character development with Jason in the way he reacts to situations and the way Liza reacts to him.

Then there are a few scenes in the game where its a big hitter and it makes you care about the characters. It all adds up to that final scene where all of a sudden you see what you see (trying not to spoil it for the others who haven't played but those that have will know what bit i'm talking about) and it's a real hard hitter.
    Seagate 1TB 3.5" Barracuda
    MSI GTX 670 PE OC 2GB GDDR5
    Corsair TX 650W
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Steam - 3n(rypt10n