Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 PM

Post Emotional impact in gaming

Hello everyone, I'm new to the PCG community but I've been following the site for awhile. I am a big fan of the quality of the articles on this site, and hope it continues.
    Anyway I wanted to ask a simple question to the community:
    What is your favorite game that has impacted you in an emotional way?
    I have a pretty bad anxiety disorder, and as a side effect it's hard for me to really feel emotion properly. However, the occasional times when I do usually come from games; being able to choose your character's actions allows you to identify in a way that a movie or book will be hard pressed to deliver. I'm not a gamer for the sake of gameplay, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good game. I'd like to clarify that while I don't mind cutscenes or an experience and story driven game, that doesn't necessarily mean I am a call of duty fanboy. In fact, I detest shallow experiences such as those. I'd like to mention a few of my favorite games which have affected me emotionally or sparked my barren imagination.

Biggest surprise: Far Cry 3
    To tell you the truth, I really didn't expect much from FC3. Maybe that's why it was so good; I was able to let my barriers down because I was expecting to be bored. Everyone loves to mock the opening scene where you hang with your dudebros, but to me that really sets the stage for the whole experience. The opening part lets you empathize slightly with a normal person having a normal vacation before everything gets turned upside down.
    I also loved all the little reactions to things in the beginning, like when Jason freaks out when his brother stabs the pirate. It's very believable for someone who had probably never even been in a fistfight. Another part that was brilliant was when Jason gets his tattoo for the first time and Dennis says something along the lines of "I have set you free!" Very much like a certain scene in Fight Club. If you haven't seen that movie, you should. But I digress.
    When it first dropped me into the open world with only a pistol, all the different systems interacted beautifully. I was on my way to hunt some boars when a car full of pirates drove by, and I scrambled into some shrubbery. And then was promptly attacked by four komodo dragons with only my pistol to defend myself with. After barely surviving and then using some mystical healing drugs, I realized that Far Cry 3 had ignited something deep and primal inside of me. I remember playing through a Call of Duty campaign two years ago, hoping to get this kind of an adrenaline rush. But it never happened, and I got thoroughly bored. However, Far Cry 3 managed to give me it, and I think it was because of character progression. I don't want to admit it, but some part of me identified with the whiny, lazy Jason Brody from the beginning. And then that part of me was forced to become a hardened warrior very quickly, and that unlocked something primal inside of me. Playing the game now, that has all pretty much gone away. Once you realize how easy everything is, most of that initial thrill seems to go away. But that first bit was probably one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences. Anyway, to recap: I am thoroughly impressed with Far Cry 3. And sorry for rambling on about it.

Dishonored: What can I say, it's brilliant. What affected me was a combination of complete freedom of choice, art design, and Emily. I felt sad in all the right parts, and vengeful in all the right parts. I tried hard to be good, I really did. But it wasn't enough, and eventually I succumbed to revenge and madness. And when the credits rolled, I felt satisfied with the "bad" ending. Why? Because I tried hard, and in the end it all slipped away. And it felt good.

Biggest disappointment for me: Assassin's creed 3
    To preface, I absolutely loved the first game. I also quite liked the second game, but that was entirely due to Ezio's character rather than anything else. The first game, to me, was about freedom. You climbed tall towers because you were free, and everywhere Altair climbed eagles followed. When the people wanted to be free, Altair became one with the people, one with the crowd, and then freed them. Combine that with really interesting settings, and a somewhat intriguing sci fi plot and I believe it to be one of my favorite games ever. Brotherhood was alright, a fun world to explore but no real emotional impact. Same with revelations. And AC3... oh how far has this franchise fallen. To quote the RPS review, " Assassin's creed 3 is a fat game." I completely agree. Once I realized that it was never going to be like the first game, I at least hoped for interesting character development like the second game. That was not to be either. Connor is a brick, and has no emotions.
    It had SO much potential, in both of those categories. The revolutionary war is the perfect stage for a game about freedom (sorry if I offend any Brits in saying this, I think Britain is a delightful country where people drink tea and talk about Mary Poppins. Note: I'm being facetious.), and Connor's personal story is perfect for creating another Ezio type of character. Sadly, freedom is the opposite of this game. It doesn't even give the player any freedom, let alone the people. And then there's the assassinations, or lack thereof. When you fire up AC1, it plays a little intro movie before you get to the menu. If one were to take the time to watch this, it depicts a picture perfect assassination. And what I liked most was that in the first game, it gives you the freedom to try and create these perfect assassinations. It doesn't force you too, but when you do it feels magical and liberating. Assassin's creed 3 doesn't have very many assassinations, and the ones it has don't give you any freedom, and often just introduce cutscenes.

To sum up: When I was climbing up to a viewpoint in AC3, there was an eagle sitting at the top. While I climbed up slowly, that eagle did not fly away, but rather just sat there. It sat there until I reached the very top where it grudgingly, and lazily, left its perch. That about sums up my experience with this game.

On a side note, and these aren't games from this year, I would highly recommend Ubisoft's prince of persia trilogy. Or at least sands of time and warrior within, everything after that was pretty crap. Warrior within is probably the closest I've ever come to playing a perfect game, though, and I highly recommend it to anyone.

So, I've rambled on for quite awhile now but what I really want to know is what games you've all played that have had a memorable impact, emotional or psychological. And I know the prince of persia games aren't that well regarded, so if anyone wants to debate over why or why not they're good, feel free.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 12:59 PM

My biggest surprise was Shadow of the Colossus. When your horse falls into the river I literally cursed the developers. I hadn't even realized the bond I had with it until the moment it happened.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 01:08 PM
    Banned

Aside from the usual Fifa rage?

Xcom: Enemy unknown. I get quite attached to my troops and I genuinely get sad when one dies, particularly because I know it is partly my fault.

RPG's and stuff I very rarely get emotionally invested in. Apart from this on part in Lost Odyssey where you (the character in the game obv) find your long lost daughter who you thought died when she was about 8 fully grown and has two kids on her death bed and the following funeral. I know it was a silly JRPG but that is the only time a game has ever choked me up.

Last edited by Cartoon Head; 01-13-2013 at 01:10 PM.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM

The big story driven games like Dragon Age: Origins that have an epic ending. You spend all that time getting to know the characters and then on or more of them have to leave/die. That is always emotional for me.

*Possible spoilers for Dues Ex*

Deus Ex 1 probably wins though. You are escaping from Majestic 12, you start to recognize where you are, Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

I felt completely isolated at this point.

Actually there are loads of example in that game. Watching Walter Simons interrogates some NSF terrorist and you learn that they are normal people with families. Then he shoots them

In really like how the game humanizes the enemy. Makes a change from 'go kill these bad guys' which you get in most games.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 02:02 PM

Interesting. I will have to look into some of these. I agree that I cannot get invested in RPGs, I realize that the text and statistics and stuff are supposed to translate into real things happening in your imagination, but it rarely happens for me. So I will have to look up lost odyssey.
    @Daniel
    I played Deus ex: Human revolution and loved it. It wasn't necessarily an "emotional" game but I definitely felt invested in my character and I loved the art design. Specifically the yellow tint
    And since I loved that game I've been meaning to try the first deus ex. Sometimes old graphics turn me off of games, but I heard that there are some mods which sort of update it.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 02:29 PM

The only game that has ever seeped under my skin really was Half Life. I even started dreaming about it at one point.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 02:33 PM

The only game that emotionally gets me is bf3. Nothing worse than being in a team full of dip shits who don't play objectives and 75% of them are snipers. especially lower ranked/ new players. Everyone wants to be a damn sniper when they first play.

Other than that no game gets at my emotions at all.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 PM

I guess that's one way for a game to affect your emotions, though not quite what I'm talking about. I'm thinking more of an emotional experience...
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 09:51 PM

The legend of zelda ocarina of time was probably the only game that really had me emotionally attached. Not to any certain characters in the game or anything. More an emotional connection to hyrule and the evil things that were happening to it.

Badcompany 2- xJakex068

Specs:
    Windows 7 64bit
    Antech truepower 650 watt psu
    8 gb ram
    HIS Hd radeon 5770 OC'ed to 950 gpu clock/1350 memory clock
    Intel core i5 3570k
    gigabyte z77-d3h
    500 gb western digital hd
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 PM

I can think of a few:

1. Xcom with all my soldiers. I didn't change their names or their faces and they took a life of their own. They all had different coloured suits to match their "character" like they were some super team of superheroes and i could recognise them on the battlefield. I even decided which one would be defacto leader. To my utter surprise it wasn't "Mack" from the initial tutorial mission. Turned out it was my psychic female sniper Elizabeth "ICE" dejong. A pity what happened in the end as she was a brilliant solider. Should have taken screenshots and stuck them on my steam page to remember her sacrifice before i uninstalled the game. Yes i'm being sad.

2. Mass effect series. No game has made me feel super proud and a true hero like this series. Saving humanity/galaxy from evil. The first one especially as you took on a total monster and he gets what he deserves. Great character development and scripting helped it along immensely.

3. Bioshock good ending made me feel good as well. Doing the right thing, saving the sisters and giving them a chance at life. Awesome.

4. Deus Ex, the final decision left me differing as who to side with.