Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 PM

Default Need some help - Fallout 3 not launching

First off, I'm sorry if this kind of post is not welcome in this forum, I couldn't use the steam forum because I had to register and you need to wait for a mod to approve your account, and apparently no mods are online around the holidays.

I upgraded to Windows 8, but I'm not sure if that's relevant. I haven't played Fallout 3 in a while, probably since springtime. I tried to play it recently (which happened to be after I upgraded from win7 to win8) and the launcher appears, so I click "play" then my cursor does the little loading circle, the launcher disappears and then nothing happens after that. Nothing in my task manager. It's as if I closed the launcher and that's all.

I have updated all my drivers, including the Graphics driver. And my hardware is completely compatible with the game, I think I've got 9 hours on it from before (I have many many more hours on my console version, forgive me PC gamers). I even uninstalled it then re-installed it. Still the same issue.

If it's relevant, it is a Steam bought version of the original (not GOTY) game.

Any similar problems and fixes?

May as well use this thread to talk about the game too
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 12-31-2012, 04:05 PM
    Banned

Have you tried finding the game exe in your steam folder and launching from there instead? maybe the shortcut from the play button on steam has somehow been changed to a different place.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 12-31-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cartoon Head View Post
    Have you tried finding the game exe in your steam folder and launching from there instead?
    Where could I find the .exe game files then? I'm in program files > Steam
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 PM
    Banned

Steam>Steamapps>common>fallout3 It will be one of the icons that look like a little drawing, and in the filetype field it will say application
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 12-31-2012, 04:25 PM

Aha, so I tried running the Fallout3.exe and:

"The ordinal 42 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\xlive.dll"

I think we found my problem... Any ideas? Do I need to download xlive.dll and place it in that folder?

By the way, thanks for your quick replies!
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 12-31-2012, 04:25 PM

Fallout 3 wasn't even optimized for windows 7 was it? might be a pain getting it to run on 8.

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabiobollinger View Post
    Aha, so I tried running the Fallout3.exe and:

"The ordinal 42 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\xlive.dll"

I think we found my problem... Any ideas? Do I need to download xlive.dll and place it in that folder?

By the way, thanks for your quick replies!
    Ok open steam, look at the games in the library, right click Fallout 3, click properties, then on the box that pops up, open the Local Files tab, There is a box at the bottom that says 'Verify integrity of game files'. Click that and steam will check the files of the game and should download broken or missing files.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 12-31-2012, 04:37 PM

Currently Validating Files. Seems promising!

And of course fallout 3 wasn't optimized for windows 7, windows 7 was optimized for fallout 3

UPDATE:

Files were validated, problem persists... Thanks for your help, might have to contact Steam directly or something...

Last edited by fabiobollinger; 12-31-2012 at 04:41 PM.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 12-31-2012, 04:50 PM
    Banned

Just been looking around and it sounds like a games for windows live problem. [url]http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/830506-windows-8-and-fallout-3/[/url] or more people with problems on the bethesda forums. [url]http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1420981-fallout-3-on-windows-8/[/url] I am still on windows 7 atm so dont know much about 8, those were just the first steps I usually take when I have probs with steam. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Last edited by Cartoon Head; 12-31-2012 at 04:53 PM.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 PM

The nexusmods forum link you mentioned was the second place that recommended downloading games for windows marketplace client. Another one suggested scanning the system for viruses and of course upgrading all drivers (which I thought I did already, but I'll check again).

Thanks again for your help, I'll update this post when it gets sorted out.

Solution Update:

downloading the games for windows client succesfully downloaded the appropriate drivers, Fallout 3 now runs: [url]http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/PC/DownloadClient[/url]

Last edited by fabiobollinger; 12-31-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Tags

broken, fallout, launcher, starting, steam