Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Planetside 2 > Planetside 2 UK

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-27-2012, 06:25 PM

Default a proposal for a small assault/recon squad

So as not to hijack the main thread I am making this thread.

I would like to propose making a somewhat small squad within the guild to act as recon and quick assaults on targets.

The main purpose of this squad would to act fast and hit targets before they have chance to react, either thinning out the numbers or drawing fire while the main team forms and comes in, the secondary use would be to act as recon getting close and spot the defences to relay back to the main group or to sneak in while the main group have attention to take out targets inside the base such as defensive positions (or parts of the base assuming you can still disable bits)

The squad ideally would consist of mainly light/fast/stealth units and snipers to get in quick and get out before they can react, also useful would be a small number of pilots to drop us close but unseen, so we can move in without alerting the other side too much.

I obviously wouldn't like to guess numbers until we see how big the guild is but it would have to stay small enough to allow for us to operate under the radar but still have an impact once in.

I would be willing to run this squad (with some help since I can't be there all the time) and I'm sorry if this is stepping on any ones toes, just going by the posts in the main thread it seems like this would be a good idea.

obviously we are still a long way off, but this is an idea I would like to see up and running.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 PM

Count me in, harassment and interdiction are always fun with friends. I did a bit of wikiing, whats your opinion of using liberators as transports ([url]http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Liberator[/url]) ? If we have enough pilots then it means we can either land them and disembark completely or disembark 1/3 or 2/3 of the force while the pilots remain as air support. As theres no actual pilot class I could see I think cross trained pilots/gunners/commandos could work, then again I have no actual experience so idk.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 06-27-2012, 07:30 PM

Count me in, as one of the 'normal' squad mates probably.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-27-2012, 07:30 PM

the problem with those is the only thing in them is the crew, if you drop off 2 people you end up with a pilot but no gunners, it's more the Galaxy you would be looking at but parking it just far enough out to not get noticed, it's a shame it seems you cant fly in a team with Flash's. the best air support would prob be the Mosquito as it is fast so can come in quick after the ground troops hit, since if we are trying to get the jump we wan't things that are going to be there fast.

but I'm still hoping the list of vehicles isn't final.

but this is what I'm saying it is still quite early, once beta starts we will know more as it should start to give an idea of everything available and what we will have to do to acquire it.

also by Pilots going by the original you needed a skill to pilot each vehicle so the pilots would need the cert for what they are flying, if it was something like the galaxy the turrets could just be manned by the ground crew until it got landed and setup so we have some form of base to fall back on if we run into problems.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 PM

Count me in too! I'm good with sniping so I'll try to back you guys up from a distance.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2012, 03:44 PM

I would be up for this, I always enjoy playing the sneaky guy in online games
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 PM
    Banned

I played infiltrator for the best part of three years in planetside, I'd be down for some sneaky sneaky action. Sneaking into a red alert base solo and blowing up the generator is one of my fondest memories of the game.

Depends though, how does the whole outfit system work, I may have an outfit already lined up when the game starts, are we allowed multiple? Could just make another character for it, I suppose.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 06-29-2012, 12:40 PM

I think we're getting sidetracked from the most important issue. What do we call ourselves?
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 06-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Hi guys, I flew the Galaxy in PS1, they are great but need protection. We used to sometimes fly at max altitude and "map drop" over a base, because we couldn't actually see the ground back then due to the constraints of view distance.
    Just wondering though.... a small recon element may give the game away if the enemy can read guild tags ! If they see PCG they'll know something big is about to kick off.

Signed up via the mag beta key giveaway, so look forward to seeing how things go. Will be willing to go for Galaxy Pilot duty.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 06-30-2012, 05:02 PM

the tag won't make much difference as the plan is to either go in and get out fast or to basically not be spotted until they engage.