Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Starcraft II

#21   Report Post  
    Old 09-19-2010, 08:04 PM

One of the reasons I wanted to try set this up, the game (like so many others) is far better when you can play against friends. Being stomped by random strangers with no social grace aint my idea of a good game

Oh and apologies Donbar, I have no idea how I missed you on the friends list, I checked and you're on mine ingame so... *shrugs* No idea what happened there, just me and my misfiring brain

Ive updated the top thread now, and added you too. Sorry about that mate.

And does anyone know how to edit thread topics? I cant work it out...
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 09-19-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Godl1keStev3 View Post
    This game should have an after-game chat thing while your'e still on the game summery screen, would allow for some post-game talk about strategy and a few "I thought you had me there when you-" or "Wow, how did you get medivacs so quick?" etc.
    I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say: "The final throes of battles when the enemy is destroying your base's final remnants is the perfect time for after-game chat."

PC Gamer Game Club
    Game of the Week - Amnesia: The Dark Descent
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 09-20-2010, 03:15 AM

Listen losers

Videogames have a long and proud history of players being rude to each other. Why should we ignore that heritage just because everyone's enjoying this new game at the moment?

Blizzard have attempted to prevent people being rude to eachother, there's an entirely necessary swear filter, because swear words are only ever used to be rude. And they don't like rude people talking in chat rooms so they simply removed the chat rooms..I'm a little disappointed Blizzard have implemented the 'revealed' after your command centre goes down. This completely negates the farm hiding strategies many people were fans of when War3 was first released. One of my favourites was the mortar team farm hide. You ordered your mortar team to bombard the ground deep into a forest removing some trees. Then you hire a goblin balloon to hoist your peon into the forest clearing where you build a single farm. You could also do it twice ie use your balloon to transport your mortar team in so he was able to dig an even deeper hole in the corner of the map and you pop your farm in there. Then you'd go ahead and lose the game. To find this farm the opponent would have to scour every single inch of the map in able to win. This would give you plenty of time to be terribly rude to him in the hope that he would simply shake his head and leave, not willing to spend valuable minutes of his life entertaining such a cretin as yourself. Then you could run away giggling like some kind of semi-retarded school kid with that all important ladder win.

Fortunately there is still room for rudity in Starcraft2 .

Here is a video of a true master Idra being incredibly rude to his opponent because he chose to play Terran.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/HDstarcraft#p/u/42/bGQnnMvlAPQ[/url]

That's 1 of 4 but you can find the rest, they'll be right there.

Here's another couple showcasing his inspiring style against Terran player Silver

[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/HuskyStarcraft#p/u/77/N77gDrYNMRQ[/url]

In this game he hits Silver with the 'rude rush' where he starts being rude to his opponent before the game even begins!!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/HuskyStarcraft#p/u/76/IP_ASm0XvvA[/url]

Magnificent! you just can't teach those kind of bad manners, that's pure talent right there.

The only way we can learn the game is by practice and watching these high level games. So next time somebody says GG to you why not follow up with STFU !! instead? MIght as well get some practice now, if you don't use these high level strategies against your opponent you can bet your bottom dollar they'll be used against you.

Later noobs!
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 09-20-2010, 08:44 AM

For all his bad manners you do have to admire Idra's skill.
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 PM

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=150584][/url]

Not a particularly inspiring or interesting replay.
    But its the first time I've attempted ZERG online.
    And I won as well!
    Although, I think, this is due to my, again gentlemanly and sportsmanlike, opponants inneptness than any skill on my part.
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 09-21-2010, 12:47 AM

Infirm! I didn't have time to look over all your replays so I just picked your ZvT, and you played pretty damn well. Your opponent was pretty shoddy though. He never actually managed to get an expansion going, even after flying it around for about 5 minutes.

The only thing I could maybe pick on is that there's a few times you could have droned a bit harder and gotten your third up faster. Also, I can't really understand the choice of location for your third. The gold would provide more income, and was in an easier to defend location imho. But these are niggles really, you were very solid.
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 09-21-2010, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the feedback Rope!

I do find that while my basics are improving, my decision making on things like when to drone and when to put up my 3rd are still fairly shaky. Hopefully this will improve in time. In retrospect I did have plenty of time to clear out that gold expo so I should probably look to do that in future.
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 09-24-2010, 05:59 AM

So now I have played my very first 2 matches of Practice League. Both were 2v2.

The first one was kind of hectic; I was not used to going at Normal speed at all and was nearly thrown off (I'm more accustomed to Fast). First one of the enemies left after I trashed his attacking force with my superior numbers and tactical advantage, and near the end, my ally left the battle for some odd reason. Then it was me against the enemy (who was Protoss). He had Carriers and his attacking force nearly crushed my defense coalition. Then I pushed him back using Marine/Thors and threw in Battlecruisers as heavy air support. He had a sizeable force and probably would have defeated me, but I kept up the attrition and won in the end.

The second game was actually very, very enjoyable for me. I actually took the time to talk with my ally this match, and we heavily coordinated our builds and tactics, where we even expanded aggressively, taking the Xel'naga towers in the center to see which of the rocks they would smash as their route of approach. We easily routed their initial attack, but soon found ourselves out-teched, with the enemy having a Mothership (which I scouted as my Marauders were harassing their workers).

Undaunted, I told my ally to ready anti-air defenses and start pumping out Vikings for the inevitable Void Ray/Mothership attack. I sent out an attack force of Marines and Marauders to intecept the attack and managed to damage the Mothershp down to 5% HP, which my Vikings easily finished off, but were crushed by the previously-cloaked Void Rays. My Marauders were now engaging the Stalkers, but had no way to counter the Void Rays. That was when my ally graciously arrived with a fresh group of Vikings to bolster our attack.

Our enemies quit soon after, friendly banter ensued, and we bid each other farewell.

I am very much starting to enjoy this now.

Here we go, any comments and constructive criticism would be appreciated:

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=151485][/url]

PC Gamer Game Club

Last edited by Mythic; 09-24-2010 at 06:31 AM.
      #29   Report Post  
    Old 09-24-2010, 05:33 PM

Interesting replay, they gave up far too quickly, almost as if their only plan had failed so they couldn't be bothered!
    Only advice I would give is when attacking protos, ignore their turrets, take out the pylon. It goes down quicker and once any turrets or buildings are without power they are useless and can be taken out later.
    Its the weakness of protoss bases.
      #30   Report Post  
    Old 09-25-2010, 07:37 PM

Here's another one, I did a Reaper harass midway through the game and crippled the opponents' economies.

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=152002][/url]

PC Gamer Game Club