Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Starcraft II

#111   Report Post  
    Old 04-21-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
    Every Protoss from like Gold upwards goes deathball. I've been scrambling to find useful strategies to beat it, though only one which seems at least somewhat effective is to drop Roaches all over the place while building a ton of infestors to slow his death push.

Unfortunately it's pretty endemic to play at bronze/silver.

I've only actually been 2 gate proxied once since leaving Gold, not sure if it helps, but I found the replay pretty funny nevertheless:

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=204564][/url]
    When Cheese Fails!
      #112   Report Post  
    Old 04-21-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    With the protos proxy canon push cheese you could try nydus tunneling out of your base, build up a zerg force and then rush his base. Remember, he thinks you are contained in your base (which you are) and is unlikely to build any canon at his base for defence
    Aye

so everyone has been telling me, I mean it's so obvious isn't it? Yet in the game I was completely powerless to do anything about it..

but it would've only taken one building, an spying overlord (already in place) and a special area on the map to build the exit behind the bushes and I still could'nt work it out.
      #113   Report Post  
    Old 04-21-2011, 02:51 PM

You wouldn't even need to nydus into his base, just out of your own to anywhere else on the map, hell even to a randomly selected resource point to build an expansion.
    Still, that hindsight eh...
      #114   Report Post  
    Old 04-21-2011, 03:05 PM

You never think of these things during a crisis if you've never done them before, its the same for everyone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    You wouldn't even need to nydus into his base, just out of your own to anywhere else on the map, hell even to a randomly selected resource point to build an expansion.
    Still, that hindsight eh...
    Yeah, Zergs need to get over their tendencies to Nydus right in the enemies base, since its not that effective.

It's generally always better to do it outside.
      #115   Report Post  
    Old 04-21-2011, 04:50 PM

Doh absolutely

infact, I wasn't even hemmed in at all was I?

I just resigned a won game didn't I?

what an idiot!
      #116   Report Post  
    Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 AM

Just got done playing this game. It has to be one of the best games I've played in a long time, certainly on ladder. On paper, this guy should have had me beat. He had double the APM, more income, more production facilities. The only thing I had up on him was a single armour upgrade. I think it was my unusual unit combination that threw him off and it was certainly a match for what he threw out. That and I think he overexerted himself with his expansions whereas I methodically expanded each time one of my bases got low on minerals so I constantly had 2 bases at full saturation which was more than enough to sustain my army.

Just goes to show - APM isn't everything.

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=204753][/url]

Edit:
    Oh, and I don't know why it's displaying as Shakuras plateau, it was on the Tal'Darim Temple.

Last edited by Donbar; 04-22-2011 at 02:35 PM.
      #117   Report Post  
    Old 04-22-2011, 06:49 PM

He was certainly a bit fond of his stalkers, although he seemed to lack any ability to manage them (quite often he would engage with them in long columns where you could focus on one end of his line).
    Out of interest, whenever I play against protos, I try to take out the pylons rather than the buildings, especially when they are on their own, but I noticed that you target the buildings first. Does this convey any particular advantage?
      #118   Report Post  
    Old 04-22-2011, 09:14 PM

Depends. If they have 3 or 4 production buildings supported by just 1 or 2 pylons, it's better to go for the pylons first though this guy had spaced out his gateways and pylons pretty evenly so that 3 pylons covered every gateway so I just destroyed them as I went along.

That and I was just doing a lazy A-move while I went back to my base to warp in more units
      #119   Report Post  
    Old 04-23-2011, 04:45 PM

Seriously? Is there no limit to my incompetence?

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=204989][/url]

huge stupidity mistake on Tal Darim LE
      #120   Report Post  
    Old 04-23-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Congo View Post
    Seriously? Is there no limit to my incompetence?

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=204989][/url]

huge stupidity mistake on Tal Darim LE
    Haha, I think we've all had games like that. I remember a 4 player map where I scouted the same empty base with my drone three times for some reason, then proceeded to roach rush, and managed to send them to the only other empty base, and then switch into spire tech... Except instead of pressing V->S for spire I hit B->S and made another spawning pool.

ALL IN THE SAME GAME

Thought I'd post a replay from today, I need to salvage something after losing to a bunker rush, then a 9 pool and then a 4 gate. All of which a scouted, all of which I superbly failed to properly react to.

ANYWAY

I've been trying a lot of mid game roach aggression on some of the smaller maps. Generally if they're army doesn't look too big, I'll go into mass roach mode and try to kill it. I've had a lot of success, and suprisingly it's not all in - Here's me killing a toss with only roaches while still managing to get my third saturated:

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=204995][/url]